News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on August 26, 2014, 04:56:21 PM
Love "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Amazing soundtrack as well.

Yeah, love it. It was written by a Polish guy who died last year.

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on August 29, 2014, 04:09:51 PM

Wojiech Kilar (sp?), yes. I bought the soundtrack Cd as soon as I could and we use it as background music for "scary" and vampire themed games. It's great.  :lol:

mongers

'Elysium ' - moderately OK entertainment. 

Slightly disappointed in the Jodie Foster character not being more kick-ass, but man was she channeling Christine Lagarde in her portrayal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Is the first 'Captain America' film worth a viewing?

Ideologue

Barely.

Hands Off the Loot (1954).  Not really a heist movie, though the hostage plot informs Rififi a year later; though a heist is involved, it happens before the story begins, and is never shown.  Somewhat falsely advertised in the literature, then.  It's just a very cold French film noir, not great, not bad.  B

Rushmore (199-something, maybe 2000).  Maybe I had to be a bit older to appreciate it, but I no longer think that anyone whose favorite Wes Anderson movie is Rushmore is an idiot.  At least, not for that reason.  A+

Dial M For Murder (1954).  It's no Rope, but what is?  Nonetheless Hitchcock's second best film, probably.  Way better than Vertigo, anyway.  A+

Destroy All Monsters (1968).  This sucks but I bought it and I can't unbuy it now.   I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see this routinely considered as one of the highlights of the Godzilla Showa series.  So boring.  Even the vaunted monster battle (of which there is one), while not bad, is one-sided since it's Ghidorah vs. Everyone Else and just two of those Everyone Else's had already taken him down three years before in Invasion of Astro-Monster.  D+

Manchurian Candidate (1964).  A fantastic, groundbreaking, almost perfect psychological thriller/political satire that does its level best to fuck itself up via unnecessary, clumsy plot mechanics, which seem to exclusively take the form of actions or befuddling inactions by the character the film seems delusionally convinced is its protagonist.  And Janet Leigh as some kind of pityfucking angel doesn't help.  In case I don't get to a full review of this, the title was going to be "If the Pentagon wants to open a Stupidity Division, I think we all know who they can get to lead it."  A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, right.  Double Indemnity (1945).  Like Dial M, also about a perfect murder.  Also pretty perfect.  But not quite as self-consciously delightful in its own wickedness.  A+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on August 29, 2014, 05:28:16 PM
The first half is pretty great. It then trails off.
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Admiral Yi

Ide: i can't believe there was a time you didn't like Rushmore.  :huh:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2014, 07:06:01 PM
Ide: i can't believe there was a time you didn't like Rushmore.  :huh:

Film is wasted on the young.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on August 29, 2014, 04:15:33 PM

Wojiech Kilar (sp?), yes. I bought the soundtrack Cd as soon as I could and we use it as background music for "scary" and vampire themed games. It's great.  :lol:

He also wrote the soundtrack for The Ninth Gate, which is also awesome (the soundtrack, not the film).

Scipio

Quote from: mongers on August 29, 2014, 05:28:16 PM
The first half is maybe the best Marvel movie ever. The second half is easily the worst.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Martinus

Quote from: The Larch on August 29, 2014, 04:15:33 PM

Hehe, same. I spent countless hours playing Vampire the Masquerade with this music. :nerd:

My favourite piece was, I think, called "The Brides" and is this rondeau piece repeating a theme from an old Russian/gypsy romance, each time more strongly.  :ph34r:

Martinus

Fun fact about the composer (Wojciech Kilar) - in Poland he is probably best known for a polonaise he wrote for a movie adaptation of the most cheerished Polish romantic poem epic ("Pan Tadeusz"). Polish prom balls are traditionally opened with a polonaise and there is a particular one, written in the 19th century, that used to be almost always played - but ever since that movie, Kilar's piece all but replaced the old one.

Here is the piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ0fkOQ8-Wc