News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

YHWH wanted you to make sacrifices to prove your devotion.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

It's probably just ancient xenophobia.  The ancient Israelites were a goat/sheep herding culture; Philistines OTOH kept pigs.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2014, 03:57:45 PM
YHWH wanted you to make sacrifices to prove your devotion.

I draw the line at bacon.

The Brain

Coming up: a pig who refuses to eat Jews?!?!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2014, 04:07:37 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a pig eat a Jew.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on August 20, 2014, 03:54:51 AM
Quote from: The Brain on August 19, 2014, 04:07:37 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a pig eat a Jew.

The Brain probably has. Rule 34!  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

I watched a series of Harold Langdon shorts covering his work at Sennett Studios and then a couple of his sound films at Educational.  The Sennett ones are interesting; Max Sennett was all about super fast pacing, slapstick, The Keystone Cops and bathing beauties.  Langdon's first shorts are like that, but he develops a much slower paced dim-witted character (one that would be an influence on Stan Laurel); so that the films become completely unrecognizable as Sennett productions.

Langdon had come to Hollywood fairly late (1925 when he was 39.)  He had started his career in medicine shows and minstrel shows and then moved on to vaudeville.  He was a hit at Sennett; by 1926 he was being hailed as the next Chaplin, by 1928 he was all washed up.  A big part of his problem is that he believed his own press; he fired his long-standing director and directed his own films.  His director was Frank Capra.  Langdon's self-directed films were all bombs while Capra had a couple successes here and there...

Langdon worked until the end of his life (largely to afford alimony, he had the same awful taste in women as Stan Laurel) either as a character actor in better productions or as a lead in poverty row shorts.  The Educational shorts I saw weren't bad; but they were nowhere near as good as the silent ones with Sennett.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

20s and 30s Hollywood must have been an amazing place. It was also very egalitarian; many stars were black. Color movies put an end to that of course. Over the rainbow indeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Guardians of the Galaxy. A hell of a lot of fun, plus it's a space opera; we don't get many space operas these days so it has to be treasured and celebrated.

Josquius

Inbetweeners 2- Very very funny. I'm unsure how I feel about the cop out on a horrible fuck you ending though
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2014, 03:51:52 PM
If you read the OT, you will see that the authors had it in for any sort of mixing of stuff. Even mixing different kinds of fabrics was ritually "bad". Hence, an animal noted for eating any sort of shit or garbage was bound to attract their ire.
Have you ever read 'History of the World in 10 1/2' chapters?

First story is by a stowaway on Noah's Ark. Apparently when it came to eating the animals during the flood period there was a distinct element of anti-mixed species. So the hippogriff and griffin get barbecued first :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Archer season 5 is on Netflix.

Highway to the Danger Zone
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

mongers

'Out of the Furnace' - broadly OK drama with Christian Bale and Woody Harrelson.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Tim's Vermeer is good stuff if you're into art history or just seeing one rich guy obsessively make something.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

LaCroix

SNOWPIERCER

it was glorious  :lol: