Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 08:20:34 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 18, 2014, 06:41:46 AM
The Wire.

Watched and got bored 2 episodes into it.

It's not for those with short attention spans, granted.

Maladict

Expendables 3. It wasn't worse than #2, but there's no real point in seeing it.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 02:31:56 AM
On a similar note, I have access to HBO GO, so technically can watch any tv series they ever made. I have already seen (recently or in the past) Six Feet Under, Rome, Veep, True Blood, Looking, Game of Thrones, Bad Education. Could not get into Boardwalk Empire, not that interested in Sopranos. Any other series they have which you guys would recommend (and, if old, which would still feel fresh if you watched it today).

It's short, but it is closely based on Bulgakov and not many have seen it: A Young Doctor's Notebook. Has Daniel Radcliffe (the kid who played Harry Potter, now an adult) and the guy who played Don Draper in Mad Men - they play the same guy at different ages, even though they look nothing alike.

Not for everyone - the blackest of black comedies.

Essential plot: a doc in the 30s (played by that Don Draper actor) is being investigated by the KGB. They find his note-book, written as a kid doc in 1917, when he was sent out to the butt-end of nowhere ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Martinus

Oh I like Daniel Radcliffe.  :cool:

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Watch Party Down on Netflix
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

The Transporter. I'm a fan of the Crank films (:blush:), but this one is rather mundane and dull in comparison. There's actually a lot of talking and plot in the flick, and not of the interesting kind, and the action isn't that outrageous or inventive. The Asian chick is very hot, though.

Liep

John Oliver continues to be hilarious. I can't wait til the Bugle starts up again.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 18, 2014, 04:04:39 PM
Deadwood :wub:

The most that show did is make me far less inclined to eat pork.

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 19, 2014, 01:02:37 PM

The show converted you to Judaism?  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2014, 01:09:21 PM

Somewhat related to that, I've just recalled a rather disturbing interview with a civilian who saw some horrendous things in WW1.

She wouldn't have pork in the household diet, because she'd seen the way pigs, left to go wild by fleeing farmers, had 'cleaned-up' the battlefields around her village. She wasn't Jewish.

Maybe one route for the Jewish taboo regarding pigs, might have been the way they'd seen pigs 'clean-up' human remains,  this a time when perhaps their neighbours weren't so concerned with how they treated the dead?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

it was a custom in the area for other groups too, like the Pheonicians.

We know that some diseases can be transmitted from the pigs to the humans, so it may be that it happenned a couple of times in antiquity, where people often lived close to their animals, and they interpreted it as a sign of God (or god) that they shouldn't eat it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2014, 03:31:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2014, 01:09:21 PM

Somewhat related to that, I've just recalled a rather disturbing interview with a civilian who saw some horrendous things in WW1.

She wouldn't have pork in the household diet, because she'd seen the way pigs, left to go wild by fleeing farmers, had 'cleaned-up' the battlefields around her village. She wasn't Jewish.

Maybe one route for the Jewish taboo regarding pigs, might have been the way they'd seen pigs 'clean-up' human remains,  this a time when perhaps their neighbours weren't so concerned with how they treated the dead?

Many theories have been advanced for the taboo, the usual one being the risk of diseases such as trichinosis. Personally, I think it goes no deeper than the fact that pigs were, in the ancient world (and after), used as living garbage disposal - they will eat damn near any sort of garbage. Hence, the notion that pigs = gross, leading to pigs = ritually unclean.

If you read the OT, you will see that the authors had it in for any sort of mixing of stuff. Even mixing different kinds of fabrics was ritually "bad". Hence, an animal noted for eating any sort of shit or garbage was bound to attract their ire.