News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The Fargo TV series is wonderful.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Wages of Fear (1953).  Unlikeable guys drive delicate explosives up the side of a Goddamned mountain to blow out a well fire at a South American oil derrick.  The first hour features no nitro burning funny car action at all, and insofar as it builds up the characters, actually incurs a debit upon the film's account; the second forty minutes are good but suffer from the first hour.  However, the climactic fifty minutes are really great.  Then the last ten minutes kind of fuck it up, but I appreciated the contempt for his characters that Clouzot gussies up in tragedy.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Kleves on June 29, 2014, 01:30:15 PM
Transformers: Age of Extinction. Aggressively stupid and a Chicom co-production. Not even the Dinobots can save it.

Watched it tonight.  A movie I would've liked a lot more if they had split it into two parts.  Way, way too long.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2014, 11:52:57 PM
Quote from: Kleves on June 29, 2014, 01:30:15 PM
Transformers: Age of Extinction. Aggressively stupid and a Chicom co-production. Not even the Dinobots can save it.

Watched it tonight.  A movie I would've liked a lot more if they had split it into two parts.  Way, way too long.

So if there was anyone still on the fence about your taste/lack thereof. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

It has a certain fun factor, despite lacking the rudiments of a structured story and being, seriously, way too long.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2014, 07:03:13 PM
Wages of Fear (1953).  Unlikeable guys drive delicate explosives up the side of a Goddamned mountain to blow out a well fire at a South American oil derrick.  The first hour features no nitro burning funny car action at all, and insofar as it builds up the characters, actually incurs a debit upon the film's account; the second forty minutes are good but suffer from the first hour.  However, the climactic fifty minutes are really great.  Then the last ten minutes kind of fuck it up, but I appreciated the contempt for his characters that Clouzot gussies up in tragedy.

B+

You might like Diabolique also by the same director.  It's more in the vein of Hitchcock than "Wages of Fear."

Howard Hawks's "Only Angels Have Wings" has a similar premise to "Wages of Fear" with explosives going over the mountain in South American; only by plane in this film rather than by truck.  If you like Hawks's films it's a must see.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Lazybones (1925)

Buck Jones (mostly known for his westerns) plays the laziest man in his small town in this Frank Borzage film adapted from a play by the same name.  One day as he's fishing he runs across Zasu Pitts (who was the model for Olive Oyle) trying to drown herself in the river.  He saves her.  She has a young daughter and a dead husband her domineering mother doesn't know about.  Buck offers to keep her daughter for a few days until she straightens things out with her mother.  Her mother, when she finds out, threatens to send the child to an institution if Zasu tells anyone.  So Zasu marries a banker, and Buck raises the girl on his own.

Several years later Zasu wastes away and reveals at her death to her daughter that she's her mother.

Seventeen years later America enters the First World War and Buck is sent to the trenches.  He falls asleep, the Germans overrun his trench and he managed to capture twenty Germans by himself.  Buck returns home a hero and discovers his adopted daughter is now a nubile adolescent.  He plans to court her, but, fortunately, the movie doesn't turn into "Grover Cleveland After Dark" (:perv:) as the girl prefers a boy her own age.

The film has a lot of narrative threads that don't seem to go anywhere.  The rivalry between the banker and Buck is obvious but never goes anywhere.  Buck's first love (Zasu's sister) learns of Buck's self sacrifice for her sister's sake, but that's never developed either.  It is, however, gorgeously shot with a lot of natural lighting and beautiful shots of nature.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Finally started watching True Detective. I'm enjoying it a lot. Is there any better gothic than the Southern Gothic? :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

Fargo series. Delightful. Best I've ever seen of Billy Bob.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 10, 2014, 12:06:53 PM
Finally started watching True Detective. I'm enjoying it a lot. Is there any better gothic than the Southern Gothic? :wub:

If you look closely in the last episode, you can see an invitation to Lettow's wedding pinned to the fridge in the perp's kitchen ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2014, 01:10:43 PM

If you look closely in the last episode, you can see an invitation to Lettow's wedding pinned to the fridge in the perp's kitchen ...  ;)

Spoiler  :mad:

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2014, 01:13:31 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 10, 2014, 01:10:43 PM

Spoiler  :mad:

Everyone knows about Lettow getting married already.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Is that a fancy word for hicksploitation?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on July 10, 2014, 08:05:08 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 09, 2014, 07:03:13 PM

B+

You might like Diabolique also by the same director.  It's more in the vein of Hitchcock than "Wages of Fear."

Howard Hawks's "Only Angels Have Wings" has a similar premise to "Wages of Fear" with explosives going over the mountain in South American; only by plane in this film rather than by truck.  If you like Hawks's films it's a must see.

I do like Howard Hawks.

Also, if I didn't have to clear four hours from my schedule for Michael Bay, I would've gone directly into Diabolique. :)  I'm hoping to get to it tonight or in the next week.
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2014, 01:42:38 PM
Is that a fancy word for hicksploitation?
Nah. The faded aristocracy or grotesque politicians/hypocritical preachers are just as good.

Woman in Black. Decent, but no better.
Let's bomb Russia!