News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

And I vote "just ok" for American Gangster. I was actually a bit disappointed by it given all the talent involved; still, it's not a bad film, just not a great one.

11B4V

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
Thanks for the car chase film tips, people.

Another not very well known is Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry with Peter Fonda, Susan George, Adam Roarke
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on June 29, 2014, 04:26:28 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2014, 09:55:40 AM
Thanks for the car chase film tips, people.

Another not very well known is Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry with Peter Fonda, Susan George, Adam Roarke

Ronin also has one of the best chases.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 29, 2014, 04:31:11 PM
^_^

and since he has Ronin on his list he should include the Borne movies too.

11B4V

Drive has an excellent one that is not the usual hollywood bs.

celedhring

Drive's great, but I saw it recently so it didn't qualify.

Wasn't aware of the Peter Fonda one, I'll check it out.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on June 29, 2014, 12:41:19 PM
Are you aware of the production history?  It was made in 2002 then the hard drive the animation was on was "stolen." :lol:  It's a possibly Producers-esque scam, but eventually the insurance company finished it (since the celebrity voice work was done and represented an enormous sunk cost with some possibility of return, I suppose).

I read some things about the production history; (though I hadn't heard an outright accusation of fraud.)  From that I thought that if "The Room" is the "Citizen Kane" of bad movies, then "Food Fight" is the "Heavens Gate" of bad movies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 29, 2014, 01:39:03 PM
So it's not the Mature Michael we hoped for, huh?  Bummer.
If that is what you seek, watch Pain&Gain.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on June 29, 2014, 04:46:53 PM
Drive's great, but I saw it recently so it didn't qualify.

Wasn't aware of the Peter Fonda one, I'll check it out.

Yeah, I would've mentioned Drive but I doubted you'd have not seen it.  That's a flick I dig more every time I see it, though.

Quote from: SavI read some things about the production history; (though I hadn't heard an outright accusation of fraud.)

Supposition on my part.

QuoteFrom that I thought that if "The Room" is the "Citizen Kane" of bad movies, then "Food Fight" is the "Heavens Gate" of bad movies.

For the real The Producers, and legitimately probably the worst movie ever made, I am absolutely 100% convinced that After Last Season--which I highly recommend you look up, but do not watch unless you have the Noah Antweiler riff track that I do--was such a thing.

It's about 30-50% aimless, 1980-level CGI representing "dream sequences," non-actors working clearly in single takes and who often flub their lines on camera or read them off visible scripts, and tissue-paper production design that turns a bedroom into an MRI room at the hospital and a burned-out warehouse into an office.  It cost $2 million, only screened once, no official release of which I am aware.

The Room actually looks like Citizen Kane in comparison, since that tells a story, uses some kind of cognizable film language, and some kind of passion if not actual competence went into the making thereof.

I guess one of these days I do have to give Food Fight a sit-through, though... :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2014, 06:02:50 PM

Cool.  I'll check it out.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Liep

EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

viper37

Quote from: Ideologue on June 29, 2014, 06:08:34 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2014, 06:02:50 PM

Cool.  I'll check it out.
It will appear as a silly movie, with over-the-top sillyness and stupidity in the plot, but you will have to remember one thing: this movie is based on real events and features the action as it happenned according to the trial notes.  So all these people too stupid to be real were all real.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

It stars a rapper, a wrestler, and some random black dude. And by the guy who gave us the Transformers series. Can't miss, right?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.