News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Watched the Firefly episode where the Ship is dead in space.  Great piece of writing with the flashbacks showing how the crew came together within the flashbacks of how the ship came to be dead in space.  Really enjoyed that one.

Malthus

I take it no one has seen A Young Doctor's Notebook? I mentioned it upthread, not a single response. I thought it was great TV, albeit the darkest of dark comedies.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2014, 01:36:45 PM
I take it no one has seen A Young Doctor's Notebook? I mentioned it upthread, not a single response. I thought it was great TV, albeit the darkest of dark comedies.

I saw the first season last year and am currently on season 2. It's very good I think. I've also been looking for a translation of the short stories by Bulgakov as I enjoyed Heart of a Dog quite a bit (class assignment also last year).

EDIT: Actually just popped up for DKK 89! A steal!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

A DKK 89 sounds like an assault rifle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Liep on June 27, 2014, 01:40:06 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 27, 2014, 01:36:45 PM

I saw the first season last year and am currently on season 2. It's very good I think. I've also been looking for a translation of the short stories by Bulgakov as I enjoyed Heart of a Dog quite a bit (class assignment also last year).

EDIT: Actually just popped up for DKK 89! A steal!

His masterpiece is generally thought to be The Master and Margarita.

It is, indeed, awesome - it was written "for the drawer" (that is, he knew he could never publish it during his lifetime - or his lifetime would be curtailed!  :lol: ).

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Swedish state propaganda TV showed a kookumentary just now about how Fukushima is a global disaster and that "countless" people have died from the accident. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2014, 08:33:14 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2014, 08:27:51 PM
Well, I was just picking a decade and couldn't just say "90s" because that would leave out Mermaid, the crown jewel of the Disney Renaissance/Disney history.

Totally assumed Toy Story 2 was post-2000.  Oops.

American Tail was '86.  Hey, I'd have loved to have included NIMH too, but that was even older. :P  (That said, I have not seen American Tail in at least twenty years.  I don't think I loved it, or its sequel, but do recall it being pretty good.)

If you take 86-99 and compare it to 2000-2013 that'll get you your crown jewel and be equivalent date ranges.

I just realized this today, but if comparisons were unreasonable before, including 1986 makes them all but impossible: for some reason I always think that Transformers: The Movie came out in '84, but it very much didn't...
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 27, 2014, 12:52:50 PM
Watched the Firefly episode where the Ship is dead in space.  Great piece of writing with the flashbacks showing how the crew came together within the flashbacks of how the ship came to be dead in space.  Really enjoyed that one.
Yeah, that's probably one of the best episodes of the series in my opinion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Savonarola

Foodfight! (2012)

:huh:

I'm not even sure where to begin here.  This is supposed to be a children's cartoon along the lines of "Toy Story."  After you leave the supermarket your favorite brand icons come to life and hang out.  Consumer advocates got all bent out of shape at the extreme level of product placement in this film; but honestly that's about the least psychologically damaging part of the film.  The computer animation is crude, incompetently rendered, and often takes on a nightmare like quality.  There's simulated inter-species sex and tons of double-entendres.  The film features not one, but two characters who are every bit as irritating and over-the-top as Jar Jar Binks.  There's a lot of violence, on screen deaths and Nazi overtones.

There are a number of homages and spoofs of better movies in this film; (largely because there aren't worse movies).  That might be clever in a somewhat better film; but in this film it's more like a cinematic blow to the solar plexus of "Casablanca" and "Singing in the Rain."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

How did you sit through that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

celedhring

Heartbreak Ridge coming up in one of our channels. Could listen to Eastwood cursing and trash talking all the fucking day.

The Brain

The alternate ending where Swede kicks his ass is superior IMHO.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on June 28, 2014, 09:33:08 AM
The alternate ending where Swede kicks his ass is superior IMHO.

Oh is that the Paradox sponsored re-cut?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.