News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

^_^

It's Kirk Douglas' character Peter's son.  They have approximately zero resemblance whatsoever.  It might have been better with Michael Douglas, but even in 1978 I'm pretty sure he was already old.  That guy was born 40.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Not a movie, but I do hope everyone's watched at least a few That Mitchell and Webb Look episodes.  That show is just so great.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Berkut

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2014, 12:39:23 PM
Fury Trailer

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4154436633/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

The comments are awesome.

Tamas would feel right at home.

QuoteI just saw how american tanks survived bazooka (or antitank rocket launcher) and in real history not even one american tank could survive that, which was the main weapon germany developed to take down american tanks without risking their own - the americans lost more then 70% of their tanks to german antitank rocketier squad while germans in that time lost 1 tank on americans 15 - and that is a very huge number - there is also a song about that german squad - which is not shown in not even one american movie, because it was too emberesing for US that one country could battle 3 world strongest states and keep winning on all 3 fronts, the real winners were Yugoslavia that defeated Italy and made naciz to reatreat back into the germany from south europe, and Russians, that did impossible, deafeted the germans alone. For example, Churchill is responsible for genocide on 60 000 civilians, and people are celebrating his words and his thoughts, and he was sick in the head same as Hitler. Russia and Yugoslavia won the war and UK, US and Frenches signed it under their victory, and they did nothing, exept having worst war engineering back then with low quality equipment and tactics, allies were more like punching bags that does not know what to do - about tiger tanks, they could survive multiple attacks from every allied tanks specialy tiger 2 - thats why allies were scared when they saw one of them and the only thing to take down tiger tank was to use sticky bombs on their caterpillars. If there were no russians that brought germany on the knees, and Yugoslavia that took care of Italy, UK, US and France would not egzist today - since germany did not have any problems battling those 3 countries, as history and facts showed us. This is just one more playboy movie about what american army would love - trying to change history facts through movies is the lowest thing some state can do.

Russians are some crazy motherfuckers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Maladict

What's with all the talk about animated stuff? I can't remember having seen one since turning 18 or so, probably longer.
What am I missing here?  :ph34r:

Razgovory

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 26, 2014, 06:52:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 26, 2014, 06:45:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2014, 06:29:09 PM
No, Fascism saw itself as *the* modern ideology. The original Fascist Manifesto was co-written by Marinetti, the visible head of the Futurist Movement.

Fascism, of course, went on to draw on tradition as representing the "purity" of the nation, but you can't deny the fascination of Fascism and Nazism by the modern industry and certainly modern weapons. You can't say the fascistic utopia is an agrarian society.

Well Fascism is sort of a mixed bag.  It's a hodgpodge of ideas tossed together.  Hitler envisioned a race of "peasant-soldiers" settling out in the Russian steppe.  So you can have fascination with industry and a strong agrarian focus.

Yep, the first Greens were Blut und Boden (purity of the blood and soil). Kind of a romantic rejection of modernity as well.
Something the Greens don't like to be reminded of.

Perhaps that's true of Germany, I don't know. the Blut und Boden thing looks a lot like distributist schemes from the late 19th century and early 20th except more violent and genocidal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Maladict on June 27, 2014, 02:53:27 AM
What's with all the talk about animated stuff? I can't remember having seen one since turning 18 or so, probably longer.
What am I missing here?  :ph34r:

A soul?  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

A brain, a heart, tha noiv?
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2014, 09:52:54 AM
Expendables 2. Funny how the series went from homage straight on to self parody. It was a fun ride, but it's been some time since I rolled my eyes so often at a movie.

Also, Stallone is a nerd according to IMDB:

QuoteIn an interview with BBC Radio, Sylvester Stallone confirmed that he named Jean-Claude Van Damme's character 'Vilain' to make it similar to the name of 19th Century French poet Paul Verlaine. This was to set up an extremely obscure in-joke where the final showdown between Van Damme and Stallone, could be seen as a fight between Vilain/Verlaine and Rambo/Rimbaud. Arthur Rimbaud (pronounced Rambo) being another French poet with whom Verlaine had a tempestuous affair.

:lol:

Back when I took French at a community college our professor was called in to face the dean because another teacher had overheard her teaching her class about "Rambo."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Scipio

Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2014, 08:39:04 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2014, 09:52:54 AM
Expendables 2. Funny how the series went from homage straight on to self parody. It was a fun ride, but it's been some time since I rolled my eyes so often at a movie.

Also, Stallone is a nerd according to IMDB:

QuoteIn an interview with BBC Radio, Sylvester Stallone confirmed that he named Jean-Claude Van Damme's character 'Vilain' to make it similar to the name of 19th Century French poet Paul Verlaine. This was to set up an extremely obscure in-joke where the final showdown between Van Damme and Stallone, could be seen as a fight between Vilain/Verlaine and Rambo/Rimbaud. Arthur Rimbaud (pronounced Rambo) being another French poet with whom Verlaine had a tempestuous affair.

Back when I took French at a community college our professor was called in to face the dean because another teacher had overheard her teaching her class about "Rambo."
Reminds me of when the British government spied on Wordsworth and Coleridge, because of reports that they had been conspiring with a Dutchman named Spy Nosy (Spinoza) against the Crown.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Watched Conspiracy following Languish recommendation. It is indeed a great film. I love how they don't over-dramatize the matter, just having all these people sitting there talking about genocide as if it was some inventory problem and haggling about the red tape is just chilling. Brannagh's jovial Heydrich is great. It is also extremely well-written, I have great admiration for a film that manages to hold your interest despite just being a dozen or so people talking around a table.

"We cannot store these jews". FFS.

FunkMonk

I've never understood the passion for Schubert's sentimental Viennese shit.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Teenage Mutand Ninja Turtles. Boy, that fucker is dated now.

It kept the kids entertained.

B
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on June 27, 2014, 02:08:55 AM
Russians are some crazy motherfuckers.

You can't argue with history and facts.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 27, 2014, 10:21:03 AM
I've never understood the passion for Schubert's sentimental Viennese shit.

Thanks Adolf
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Hercules in New York (1969)

Everyone has to start from somewhere, and Arnold Schwarzenegger got his start in film in this B picture.  Hercules is at that age when he thinks he knows everything better than his father (about 3500 for demigods.)  Zeus has had enough and sends him to then present day New York City.  Hilarity ensues as Hercules adjusts to the city, finds friends, love, and a crooked wrestling promoter.

Interestingly enough the film isn't that bad when I listened to it with Ah-nuld's actual voice.  In the theatrical release, though, Conan the Governor was dubbed and that is all but unwatchable.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock