News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: frunk on June 25, 2014, 08:33:14 PM
If you take 86-99 and compare it to 2000-2013 that'll get you your crown jewel and be equivalent date ranges.

Wasn't that period, besides Disney's Golden Age, a bit crap for animated feature movies?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Ideologue on June 25, 2014, 08:31:25 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 25, 2014, 07:25:13 PM
How the hell is Wall-E fascistic?  :huh:

Maybe read the two sentences right next to where I call it fascistic.  One guy decides to radically reshape society based upon a romantic vision of an agrarian past and uses the literal machinery of the state to force them into it, without a vote, and destroying the ineffectual technocrat that tries to stop him?

How isn't Wall-E fascist?

I don't know what's worse, if your way of interpreting things or your political references.

The captain (not one random guy) decided to change route back to Earth because he found proof that it was habitable again, which was completely in line with the objectives of the original inhabitants of the ship-ark.

celedhring

Ide, I'm not sure you get what "fascism" is. I mean, Wall-E is a treehugger fantasy but I fail to see the whole authoritarian nationalism and nullification of individuality bit in the ending.

Viking

Tyrant - Mr Assad goes to Washington Damascus. The hook here is what if you take Bashar Assad, give him Uday Hussein as his brother, make and put him in charge of a fucked up middle eastern country where everybody is evil to some degree. TV about the arab spring during the Arab Winter. A perfect vehicle to look at the choices we make between liberty and safety, order and freedom, faith and compromise.

I loved the first episode, though the kids and wife seem to have a case of terminal stupidity. I especially like the last scene and how the flashback set the stage for what I hope will be epic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Is the Sleepy Hollow series any good? It starts today on one of our channels.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on June 26, 2014, 09:13:27 AM
I loved the first episode, though the kids and wife seem to have a case of terminal stupidity.

There's hope for the daughter, she didn't want to go in the first place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 26, 2014, 09:13:27 AM
I loved the first episode, though the kids and wife seem to have a case of terminal stupidity.

There's hope for the daughter, she didn't want to go in the first place.

I had a bit of a "Tyrion is Tywin's True Heir" (the way Jemma Frey né Lannister said it)

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Much as I love Game of Thrones, I have no idea what you just said.  :lol:

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

have you read the books?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2014, 10:02:25 AM

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Genna_Lannister

"   Jaime, sweetling, I have known you since you were a babe at Joanna's breast. You smile like Gerion and fight like Tyg and there's some of Kevan in you, else you would not wear that cloak...but Tyrion is Tywin's son, not you. I said so once to your father's face, and he would not speak to me for half a year.[2]

Eddie Teach

Ok. That seems more like the main guy's relationship with his father and brother than anything to do with his kids.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 26, 2014, 10:12:17 AM
Ok. That seems more like the main guy's relationship with his father and brother than anything to do with his kids.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
Meh.  I struggled though it, but haven't bothered watching the season finale yet.  Unless I get bored this summer, I'm not sure I will.  I like the general concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 26, 2014, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: celedhring on June 26, 2014, 09:25:04 AM
Meh.  I struggled though it, but haven't bothered watching the season finale yet.  Unless I get bored this summer, I'm not sure I will.  I like the general concept, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

I struggled thorugh a couple episodes near the beginning.  I thought it was terrible.  I agree the over all concept was interesting.  But come on - Washington fighting a war against demons in the guise of the British.  :rolleyes: