News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

It's almost impossible to fuck up bloodthirsty vikings, really.

Ideologue

That was one of the things I disliked about it.  "Viking" this and "Viking" that.  It felt forced.  Also the creature design was really hit and miss (though it hit on the two really important dragons, Toothless and the queen).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on June 13, 2014, 06:52:50 AM
It's almost impossible to fuck up bloodthirsty vikings, really.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Ed Anger

I must be the only guy here that liked Vikings.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Watched Wreck-It Ralph.

Sweet and nerdtastic. 7.5/10.

For a while I thought it was Jennifer Hale voicing the soldier chick. The voice was similar, and hey, she was an awesome Shepard in ME, and female trooper in SWTOR. And was Carol Danvers/Miss Marvel in the Avengers cartoon. So it wouldn't have been "out there". :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on June 13, 2014, 03:31:49 AM

That said, the show's reverted to type in these past eps after Chilton died (boring procedurals and nothing interesting happening in the story arc front). The "Graham is now a psycho too" twist is sooooo obviously a trap to get Lecter to expose himself that I won't pay much heed to it. [/spoiler]
[spoiler]I disagree, actually.  Su-zakana is close to my favorite episode of the show.  The drive to the stable with Requiem No. 48 playing is fantastic scene, and the line "Peter, is your social worker in that horse?" is fucking wonderful. [/spoiler]
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Sure, it was beautiful. That show is always visually interesting, however, and that episode hardly set the bar higher. And story-wise it was pretty unremarkable.

[spoiler]The whole procedural think works best when they stretch through several episodes, like they did with the "eye" psychopath. Otherwise they rush it in some unsatisfactory way. The concept here was interesting, with the social worker manipulating the stable boy in a way that mirrored the Lecter/Graham relationship, but they completely botch it by solving the crime in like 2 scenes. Much worse was the bee lady of a previous episode. They just walk into the practitioner that was tending to the victim, the practitioner spontaneously confesses. Case solved![/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Finished episode 5 of True Detectives. But I am looking forward to the the plot twist that is about to come and the real meaning of the Detective's Curse. 

The dreaded episode 6 cometh.

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on June 13, 2014, 10:48:03 AM
Sure, it was beautiful. That show is always visually interesting, however, and that episode hardly set the bar higher. And story-wise it was pretty unremarkable.

[spoiler]The whole procedural think works best when they stretch through several episodes, like they did with the "eye" psychopath. Otherwise they rush it in some unsatisfactory way. The concept here was interesting, with the social worker manipulating the stable boy in a way that mirrored the Lecter/Graham relationship, but they completely botch it by solving the crime in like 2 scenes. Much worse was the bee lady of a previous episode. They just walk into the practitioner that was tending to the victim, the practitioner spontaneously confesses. Case solved![/spoiler]
[spoiler]I think that was on purpose with the bee lady.  She's clearly profoundly disturbed, and recognizes it.  She's unable even to eat the people-honey because she recognizes how fucked up it is.  Meanwhile, Hannibal happily eats the lungs of teenage girls.

I'd agree that the Eye arc was way better set up and pulled off than the horse-man, and that Su-zakana could have used another 20-30 min or even another episode to deal with it, and it would have been worth it because the actors and the plot was strong enough.  But there are just certain inevitable time constraints on the show.[/spoiler]
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on June 13, 2014, 12:09:04 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 13, 2014, 10:48:03 AM

[spoiler]I think that was on purpose with the bee lady.  She's clearly profoundly disturbed, and recognizes it.  She's unable even to eat the people-honey because she recognizes how fucked up it is.  Meanwhile, Hannibal happily eats the lungs of teenage girls.

I'd agree that the Eye arc was way better set up and pulled off than the horse-man, and that Su-zakana could have used another 20-30 min or even another episode to deal with it, and it would have been worth it because the actors and the plot was strong enough.  But there are just certain inevitable time constraints on the show.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]In the following episode beast-man also feels very shortchanged. Again, I think the show works best when they do less "psycho of the week" scripts, and instead stretch a case through 2 or 3 episodes. It worked really well with eye-guy. [/spoiler]

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2014, 11:58:49 AM
Finished episode 5 of True Detectives. But I am looking forward to the the plot twist that is about to come and the real meaning of the Detective's Curse. 

Curse, what curse?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on June 13, 2014, 12:13:08 PM

[spoiler]In the following episode beast-man also feels very shortchanged. Again, I think the show works best when they do less "psycho of the week" scripts, and instead stretch a case through 2 or 3 episodes. It worked really well with eye-guy. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yeah, well, that also had this:

I don't really disagree with you, though.  They should find the better weekly killers (horse-guy) and make them two or three episode arcs.  [/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 13, 2014, 12:14:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 13, 2014, 11:58:49 AM

Curse, what curse?

Its a line that has been used frequently in the series and it refers to not noticing what is right in front of your face.  I am looking forward to learning what that is - at least I hope that is related to the plot twist that appears to be coming.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.