Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2014, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:37:31 PM
As for cliffhangers, that happens in serialized movies too.  (I'm a little surprised no Marvel movie has ended Empire Strikes Back-style yet.)

That's because Hollywood knows that your instant-gratification generation, of which so much of its revenue relies upon, has the attention span of methed-out tsitsi flies.  If they released a cliffhanger, they'd be excoriated in social media by Aspie Nation.

Fucking Aspie Generation infests the wargame world too. Fuckers.

It does?  Seems to me it's the olds who are fucking up the hobby.  Every young person I've met that wargames has been eager to jump into anything that comes out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 06:56:08 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2014, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
I'm working again, so I picked up true dicks.  I also got True Detectives on blu ray. (sad trombone)

Formalistic question no one cares about: if a TV show isn't cut for commercials, what is the actual difference between it and a movie?  Chapter breaks?  A lot of movies have those.

Anyway, I also blind bought a particular animated film whose sequel comes out this Friday, and if you fuckshits steered me wrong--by fuckshits I mean specifically someone whose name starts with T and ends with Z with an IM ORTI in the middle, but I mean generally people all over--I'll be mad.

The dragon movie is mediocre beyond belief.

Bummer.  If need be, I can always claim it's a present for my niece.  "Why has it obviously been watched?"  "Because you're not blood relatives and because fuck you."
Don't listen to that curmudgeon.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Quote from: Habbaku on June 12, 2014, 07:29:43 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 12, 2014, 04:40:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2014, 03:46:32 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:37:31 PM
As for cliffhangers, that happens in serialized movies too.  (I'm a little surprised no Marvel movie has ended Empire Strikes Back-style yet.)

That's because Hollywood knows that your instant-gratification generation, of which so much of its revenue relies upon, has the attention span of methed-out tsitsi flies.  If they released a cliffhanger, they'd be excoriated in social media by Aspie Nation.

Fucking Aspie Generation infests the wargame world too. Fuckers.

It does?  Seems to me it's the olds who are fucking up the hobby.  Every young person I've met that wargames has been eager to jump into anything that comes out.

Naw, us olds need 5/8 counters and/or a magnifying glass.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

5/8 of the way through.  'Bout to see what Mike was so disappointed about. :hmm:

Also, Marty is a fucking scumbag.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Quote from: celedhring on June 12, 2014, 02:22:27 PM

Anyway, [spoiler]was really pissed that they killed Chilton just when I was really enjoying Esparza this season.[/spoiler]
http://spaceslayer.tumblr.com/post/81799987537
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Somebody on Languish said he was still alive. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 12, 2014, 10:00:46 PM
[spoiler]It is purposefully a bit ambiguous.  Fuller has been toying with it.  There's no spinal fluid in the shot you see, and it's carefully shot at an angle that it looks like he was shot in the cheek, like Serpico.  But given that there is no further reference to him in the present tense, even if he was part of the anti-Hannibal conspiracy, he might actually be dead.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

True Dicks was, overall, pretty fucking radical.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Babette's Feast. Not bad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Queequeg on June 12, 2014, 10:05:35 PM
[spoiler]It is purposefully a bit ambiguous.  Fuller has been toying with it.  There's no spinal fluid in the shot you see, and it's carefully shot at an angle that it looks like he was shot in the cheek, like Serpico.  But given that there is no further reference to him in the present tense, even if he was part of the anti-Hannibal conspiracy, he might actually be dead.[/spoiler]

I grasp at the fact that [spoiler]Abe Gideon was similarly "dead" and was brought back this season without much fuss.[/spoiler]

Liep

That was me, but only guesswork because we didn't see him dead and nothing about a trial against My Girl.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2014, 03:24:52 AM

That was me, but only guesswork because we didn't see him dead and nothing about a trial against My Girl.

[spoiler]She would have to face trial even if she didn't kill him outright. Don't think the writers cared much about her character, anyway, I'm up to episode 10 and she hasn't been shown again. Good to see Verger's murderous pigs back  :)

That said, the show's reverted to type in these past eps after Chilton died (boring procedurals and nothing interesting happening in the story arc front). The "Graham is now a psycho too" twist is sooooo obviously a trap to get Lecter to expose himself that I won't pay much heed to it. [/spoiler]

Liep

Well, that's true of course, perhaps they just don't care then. Though, I read that Brian Fuller thought she was a really interesting character.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ideologue

Actually, How To Train Your Dragon was kinda great.  A few obnoxious parts and the ending lacks a certain element of sensicality, but it's really enjoyable once you get used to Jay Baruchel's somewhat annoying voice.
Kinemalogue