News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

'The Warlord' - Charlton Heston falls big time for a local wench. An OK tail with elements that remind me of a 'Game of Thrones'.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Children of the Corn- Sarah Connor gets taken hostage by some kids and is helpless until her man comes and rescues her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Requiem for a Dream.  People take drugs, bad things happen.  I think.

Eddie Teach

Also, an awesome soundtrack.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Catching up with Hannibal. Liking this season more than I did the first one. A lot of it still feels like cheap horror but at least there's an actual engaging plot, [spoiler]with people actively trying to uncover and take down Lecter instead of him just doing as he pleases to who he pleases. Graham, even Crawford, are far more proactive players in the story now. Alana Bloom seems now to be an idiot, though, guess you win some and lose some.[/spoiler]

The procedural bits are now a more secondary part of the show too, which I think helps it. They seem to be able to work the "psychopath of the week" concepts a little bit more this way [spoiler](the killer that uses bodies to create a pupil watching the sky was indeed a quite arresting picture)[/spoiler], since they don't actually introduce a new one every week anymore.

Ideologue

Yeah, I liked season 2 more than 1 as well, pretty much for precisely the same reasons.

That said, I'm glad they didn't tone down the weekly psychopaths.  If anything, they're even more implausible.

The most important thing to realize about Hannibal is how straight-faced it is about being one of the silliest television shows ever made; if you can handle that, it's extremely enjoyable.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I'm working again, so I picked up true dicks.  I also got True Detectives on blu ray. (sad trombone)

Formalistic question no one cares about: if a TV show isn't cut for commercials, what is the actual difference between it and a movie?  Chapter breaks?  A lot of movies have those.

Anyway, I also blind bought a particular animated film whose sequel comes out this Friday, and if you fuckshits steered me wrong--by fuckshits I mean specifically someone whose name starts with T and ends with Z with an IM ORTI in the middle, but I mean generally people all over--I'll be mad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Are you going to take it anymore?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
I'm working again, so I picked up true dicks.  I also got True Detectives on blu ray. (sad trombone)

Formalistic question no one cares about: if a TV show isn't cut for commercials, what is the actual difference between it and a movie?  Chapter breaks?  A lot of movies have those.

The fact that True Detective would be almost 8 hours long, for example. Series' length brings a quite different narrative.

Scipio

The Living Daylights. Has moments of genius coupled with moments of idiocy. Lots of great scene chewing by Jeroen Krabbe. John Rhys Davies and Joe Don Baker are excellent, and Maryam d'Abo is gorgeous, if ultimately useless. Dalton was good, until Licence to Kill.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 11:56:43 AM
Yeah, I liked season 2 more than 1 as well, pretty much for precisely the same reasons.

That said, I'm glad they didn't tone down the weekly psychopaths.  If anything, they're even more implausible.

The most important thing to realize about Hannibal is how straight-faced it is about being one of the silliest television shows ever made; if you can handle that, it's extremely enjoyable.

I guess I'm starting to accept the sheer outrageousness and implausiblity of it all.

Anyway, [spoiler]was really pissed that they killed Chilton just when I was really enjoying Esparza this season.[/spoiler]

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on June 12, 2014, 02:07:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM

The fact that True Detective would be almost 8 hours long, for example. Series' length brings a quite different narrative.

Well, there're super-long movies, like Berlin Alexanderplatz (940 minutes), which is usually considered a movie (it's even got a Criterion release), though it aired as a 14-part miniseries.  Heck, Welt am Draht was a two-part series.  (The fact Fassbinder absolutely fails to earn that movie's less-than-four hours doesn't excite me about Berlin Alexanderplatz' fifteen, but that's a different discussion.)
Kinemalogue

celedhring

I think we can agree those are the exception rather than the rule.

And still, despite the lack of commercials True Detective still retains other traits from a series; all episodes finish with a cliffhanger of sorts, for example.

Ideologue

They're definitely exceptions.  It's just that when defining a medium, if it has to have exceptions, doesn't that make the definition incomplete?

As for cliffhangers, that happens in serialized movies too.  (I'm a little surprised no Marvel movie has ended Empire Strikes Back-style yet.)
Kinemalogue