News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 02:37:31 PM
They're definitely exceptions.  It's just that when defining a medium, if it has to have exceptions, doesn't that make the definition incomplete?

As for cliffhangers, that happens in serialized movies too.  (I'm a little surprised no Marvel movie has ended Empire Strikes Back-style yet.)

I don't know, I consider film, TV, etc... to be the same "medium" (presenting a narrative through moving image). Then you have different presentations of the same medium (feature film, feature documentary, short film, TV series, etc..).

CountDeMoney

As for cliffhangers, that happens in serialized movies too.  (I'm a little surprised no Marvel movie has ended Empire Strikes Back-style yet.)

That's because Hollywood knows that your instant-gratification generation, of which so much of its revenue relies upon, has the attention span of methed-out tsitsi flies.  If they released a cliffhanger, they'd be excoriated in social media by Aspie Nation.

celedhring

The first English sentence I learnt was "To Be Continued", as shown at the end of Back to the Future. Didn't know what it meant and I asked my dad, hyped me beyond belief.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2014, 03:46:32 PM

That's because Hollywood knows that your instant-gratification generation, of which so much of its revenue relies upon, has the attention span of methed-out tsitsi flies.  If they released a cliffhanger, they'd be excoriated in social media by Aspie Nation.

Fucking Aspie Generation infests the wargame world too. Fuckers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Well, there are a few, but those were based on book series, so you could catch up on what's what: LotR, Hunger Games, Twilight.

The only original series doing this would probably be The Matrix 2&3? And we know how well that went.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
I'm working again, so I picked up true dicks.  I also got True Detectives on blu ray. (sad trombone)

Formalistic question no one cares about: if a TV show isn't cut for commercials, what is the actual difference between it and a movie?  Chapter breaks?  A lot of movies have those.

Anyway, I also blind bought a particular animated film whose sequel comes out this Friday, and if you fuckshits steered me wrong--by fuckshits I mean specifically someone whose name starts with T and ends with Z with an IM ORTI in the middle, but I mean generally people all over--I'll be mad.

The dragon movie is mediocre beyond belief.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

You're right.  You know what Millennials fucking hate?  Star Wars and Lord of the fucking Rings.  Do you have any filter?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on June 12, 2014, 03:16:04 PM
They're definitely exceptions.  It's just that when defining a medium, if it has to have exceptions, doesn't that make the definition incomplete?

I don't know, I consider film, TV, etc... to be the same "medium" (presenting a narrative through moving image). Then you have different presentations of the same medium (feature film, feature documentary, short film, TV series, etc..).

That's pretty much how I see it. :)  Except there's a definite compromise to being cut for commercials.  3/8 of the way thru True Dicks right now, and I can see your point on that too.  The transition from the end of the first episode to the beginning of the second only avoids extreme clumsiness through the break imposed by the title sequence (and would play even better with a week-long wait, at that).  You couldn't go from Coehle saying "Start asking the right fucking questions" to a voiceover monologue by the same character in a film, at least not the way they did it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2014, 06:08:01 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:05:25 PM
I'm working again, so I picked up true dicks.  I also got True Detectives on blu ray. (sad trombone)

Formalistic question no one cares about: if a TV show isn't cut for commercials, what is the actual difference between it and a movie?  Chapter breaks?  A lot of movies have those.

Anyway, I also blind bought a particular animated film whose sequel comes out this Friday, and if you fuckshits steered me wrong--by fuckshits I mean specifically someone whose name starts with T and ends with Z with an IM ORTI in the middle, but I mean generally people all over--I'll be mad.

The dragon movie is mediocre beyond belief.

Bummer.  If need be, I can always claim it's a present for my niece.  "Why has it obviously been watched?"  "Because you're not blood relatives and because fuck you."
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

I'd rather watch the Incredibles and beat off to the Mom and daughter.

Ideologue

Ew.

Anyway, if anyone wants a digital copy of True Dicks, I'll let it go for $15.  According to Amazon, that's a $31 value.  (Though I wish I hadn't looked that up, since it turns out the BDs are 25% cheaper at Amazon. <_< )
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 12, 2014, 06:58:36 PM
I'd rather watch the Incredibles and beat off to the Mom

Way too much junk in the trunk.

Ed Anger