TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Black Sunday was just on.  :smoke:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on June 16, 2014, 12:36:27 AM
ex nihilo?

That would make a great name for a metal band.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Am I the only one who can't help thinking Archer's ISIS when they talk about Iraq on the news?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Saw A Young Doctor's Notebook over the weekend. It is a BBC TV series based on the short stories of Mikhail Bulgakov, of The Master and Margarita fame. Allegedly, it is partly autobiographical.

The setting is this: a young just-graduated medical student is sent, in 1917, to the most remote possible medical clinic - the ass-end of nowhere. He has exactly zero practical experience. Then the Revolution breaks out. Twenty years later, the same doctor is reminicing on these experiences while being busted by the KGB for morphine addiction.

The results are difficult to describe - imagine the blackest of black comedies, like a Russian MASH mixed with Fawltey Towers. I think it may well be the most gruesomely funny thing I've ever seen, as well as the saddest depiction of opiate addiction and moral degeneration. The actors are all incredible (the young doc is portrayed by Daniel Radcliffe, of Harry Potter, and the old doctor by Jon Hamm of Mad Men). Highly recommended. Not for the squeamish!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

I saw The Counselor and I, Frankenstein both of which were just plain awful.

Oddly though, they were awful in opposite directions. I, Frankenstein spent too much time with meaningless action sequences and lots of heavy handed exposition.  On the flipside, The Counselor offered little by way of exposition or action, but instead mostly featured every character ready to impart philosophical advice via long winded monologues to the eponymous counselor.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

But Garbo, Ide says it was wonderful!!?!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh I just saw his review and then commentary on extended cut. To keep it civil, I'll just say he's a bag of hair.

Actually my sister and I were talking and we thought a slow paced movie focused on understanding the characters in such a world would have been okay. However, despite it having a slow pace, I can't say we really ever learn much about any of the characters / all of the monologues could have been swapped around to no ill effect.  Well maybe not Diaz's as she was over the top.

Side note: [spoiler]In what universe is it plausible that Cameron Diaz could play a character that pulls the wool over the eyes of everyone else?[/spoiler] :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Lol,
A bag of hair MAH PUBES

Ideologue

WTF.

In fairness, I said it was great without any sort of recommendation.  It was a big caveat.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

I'll say it was poor and add in that no one should see it.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Scipio

Luther Series 3.

Pretty strong. Don't care about spoilers. Love how John Luther's character is changing and evolving. Looking forward to the movie.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt