News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Pain & Gain. On a certain level, this reminds me of Wolf of Wall Street. Highly unsympathetic criminal protagonists, longer than it needs to be, based on a true story. But in this case, they're so fucking stupid that it can be seen as a black comedy. I have mixed feelings. And a bit of a headache.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 28, 2014, 12:53:59 PM
Pain & Gain. On a certain level, this reminds me of Wolf of Wall Street. Highly unsympathetic criminal protagonists, longer than it needs to be, based on a true story. But in this case, they're so fucking stupid that it can be seen as a black comedy. I have mixed feelings. And a bit of a headache.
Same feeling here.  You want to laugh, but then you are reminded this is all based on trial's notes so most of it is true.  Everyone is so fucking stupid...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Savonarola

Casablanca (1942)

Critics rave about the chemistry between Bogart and Bergman.  As I was watching I kept thinking that it wasn't all that spectacular, not as compared to "The Big Sleep."  Then it occurred to me that might not be a fair comparison...

Still a great film with so much quotable dialog and so many character actors used to great effect.  It's been over 20 years since I've last seen it.  I had forgotten how many musical numbers there were at the beginning of the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

I think it's pretty great.

I still need to see The Big Sleep. :o :weep:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

I am shocked SHOCKED to see Sav preferred an obscure movie over a popular one.

This thread is to be closed until further notice.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

The Big Sleep's not obscure. :unsure:
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2014, 04:56:57 PM
The Big Sleep's not obscure. :unsure:

True.  But that was the best I could come up with to be shocked about.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Savonarola on May 28, 2014, 04:24:06 PM
Casablanca (1942)

Critics rave about the chemistry between Bogart and Bergman.  As I was watching I kept thinking that it wasn't all that spectacular, not as compared to "The Big Sleep."  Then it occurred to me that might not be a fair comparison...

Still a great film with so much quotable dialog and so many character actors used to great effect.  It's been over 20 years since I've last seen it.  I had forgotten how many musical numbers there were at the beginning of the film.

Worst Savonarola movie review ever. :(

Ideologue

The thing about Bergman is that I can believe she's in love with anybody--she does that pretty well--but she lacks heat.  I don't believe like she ever wants to fuck anybody, even when it's text, like in Notorious, where she's a 1940s party girl and is supposed to be gagging for Cary Grant, the abusive potential husband that can fix her.

It works in 1940s movies well enough, since this was before most people had discovered sex.
Kinemalogue

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2014, 05:00:56 PM
It works in 1940s movies well enough, since this was before most people had discovered sex.

:lol:

mongers

Giving Lovefilm a go, after a long time; so quick, I need some decent films of the last 5-6 years to populate the list.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on May 28, 2014, 05:02:20 PM

:lol:
It's possible that she's less cold in her later, presumably boring films about people and relationships and Italy, by her second husband.
Kinemalogue

Savonarola

The thing about Bergman is that I can believe she's in love with anybody--she does that pretty well--but she lacks heat.  I don't believe like she ever wants to fuck anybody, even when it's text, like in Notorious, where she's a 1940s party girl and is supposed to be gagging for Cary Grant, the abusive potential husband that can fix her.

I think that hurt her more than anything concerning her affair with Roberto Rossellini.  She was hardly the only woman in cinema to have an affair or get a divorce, but that was so far removed from her screen persona that there was a scandal.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock