News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Either that, or it failed to possess the proper Riefenstahl tinge.

celedhring

Just to preemptively get off the suspects list, I'll say that Last of the Mohicans is pretty good too.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2014, 05:39:17 PM
In the past couple days I watched Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary. Don't read anything into that.

edit: Actually I re-watched About Time earlier this month too. I think I just need to see Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral to wrap up my Richard Curtis fest. :blush:
:thumbsup:  I'm a big fan, especially of Love Actually.  I haven't had a chance to watch About Time yet though.  Soon...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

I was never one for the war era productions; I always found the acting thin and the patriotism thick, regardless of how many Nazis or traitorous yellow devils got whacked.

But the announcement scene to the family of the deaths of all five brothers in The Fighting Sullivans has such a true little gem of physical acting from Thomas Mitchell, who, once he gets the news, proceeds to go directly to work, as he hasn't missed a day in 33 years.  A squeeze of consolation on the wife's shoulder, the slightest bump into the staircase barrister on the way to the door, walking out of the house in a daze with his coat on only one arm in the background, almost lost behind the other emotions in the room.  Perfect in its simplicity.

Admiral Yi

Last of the Mohicans has issues with a very contrived plot line in the third act, but it more than compensates by being a story about a total badass kicking all kinds of ass.

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 26, 2014, 07:12:02 PM
Last of the Mohicans has issues with a very contrived plot line in the third act, but it more than compensates by being a story about a total badass kicking all kinds of ass.

I like the fact that it takes what is a very contrived storyline and instead of second-guess it just tries to make it as great as cinematically possible. You're so engaged that you forget how ludicrous everything actually is.

Mann was on a roll in the 90s, he followed it up with Heat and Insider.

CountDeMoney

LofM had everything;  pre-AWI Brit Redcoats when they were cool and not the baddies...even fucking cooler Frenchmen...Madeleine Stowe when she was still hot and hadn't discovered botox yet...gorgeous North Carolina countryside that passed for the New York frontier...Indian massacres--by the Indians for a change...siege engineering...Peter Postlethwaite...and Wes Studi as one of the best heavies in the last 30 years of cinema.

Sheilbh

And the music as the dad goes mental at the end  :cry:

The last 20 minutes are just absolutely wonderful.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

I've noticed over the years there are two versions that have been broadcast: particularly the scene when they're in pursuit of the raiding party that took the girls and Duncan, there are two separate versions.  One has Clannad's work from the soundtrack, "I Will Find You", the other has the orchestration.

Sheilbh

Oh interesting. I mean the one with the orchestration.

If you don't well up in the last ten minutes you're inhuman.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on May 26, 2014, 06:15:20 PM
Was Ide the dumbass that said it wasn't any good?

I gave it an A, cunt.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

A phrase I've never used.  Fuck you too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2014, 07:40:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

A phrase I've never used.  Fuck you too.

It wasn't a reference to you, but our other most superlative film reviewer of all time.

Ideologue

I don't think Sav has used it.

Oh, do you mean Mike?  'Cause Mike's the one that didn't like Mohicans.  He's nutty.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

You know damned well I meant Timmay.  Only that scatterfuck would use something like "Riefenstahl tinge".