News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

What parts of the story did you feel were missing?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Rather than missing, I thought that for a movie so long, it lacked a lot of detail that would have enriched the story. For example, there was a lot of potential in the story of Cruise's character and the two girls - [spoiler]it's even hinted in the flashbacks that Victoria loved him from afar, but that's never exploited and could have enriched the human element of the story.[/spoiler][spoiler] We also learn little about the rebels, or interact with them - they are just there to supply exposition and the plan to kill the alien. Same with the aforementioned alien entity. [/spoiler]Everybody in the film just behaves like automats going from one plot point to another, and yet the film isn't particularly excitingly paced. It sort of poses as a thoughtful character-driven sci-fi film without having actual characters to speak of, just Cruise travelling back and forth in that bubble ship for what seems half the film.

The Brain

Please tell me he at least does it to Cameo's Back And Forth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

celedhring

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2014, 10:30:57 AM
Please tell me he at least does it to Cameo's Back And Forth.

No.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
The Last of the Mohicans. A movie that overcomes major flaws to still turn out pretty great. Rarely have I spent so much time telling myself "I don't buy it" yet enjoyed the movie nonetheless.
That's a wonderful film :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Kirsty Young hosting HIGNFY. That voice :wub:

Sheilbh

Quirke new RTE series of adaptations of John Banville's (pseudonymous) crime novels about Dr. Quirke a pathologist in 1950s Dublin starring Gabriel Byrne and Michael Gambon.

Very very good. It very successfully conveys the repressive atmosphere of Dev's Ireland. Brilliantly done. The acting, needless to say, is wonderful.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

In the past couple days I watched Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary. Don't read anything into that.

edit: Actually I re-watched About Time earlier this month too. I think I just need to see Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral to wrap up my Richard Curtis fest. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Someone broke your heart? :(

(Hugh Grant?)
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2014, 05:39:17 PM
In the past couple days I watched Love Actually and Bridget Jones's Diary. Don't read anything into that.

I've watched them too.  :blush:  Doan mean nuffin', people.   :mad:

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 26, 2014, 05:41:47 PM
Someone broke your heart? :(

(Hugh Grant?)

I'm just going to call it Spring quickenings.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2014, 05:42:29 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2014, 05:39:17 PM

I've watched them too.  :blush:  Doan mean nuffin', people.   :mad:

:D :hug:

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
The Last of the Mohicans. A movie that overcomes major flaws to still turn out pretty great. Rarely have I spent so much time telling myself "I don't buy it" yet enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

Ah, Last of the Mohicans   :worthy:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Was Ide the dumbass that said it wasn't any good?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien