News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Also Netflix has all of two Santo movies neither of which has Blue Demon.  :mad:  They may as well cancel El Cinco de Mayo while they're at it.    :mad:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2014, 05:27:13 PM

Given how brilliant it still is, I wish they had been given the proper amount of time to develop all those stories.

Agreed. Lack of time wasn't as much an issue as lack of funds, though I guess one was the cause of the other.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on May 03, 2014, 05:27:13 PM
Hardly. I mean, I'd love to see more of Vorenus and Pullo, but since the remainder of Octavian's reign was fairly uninteresting politically-wise, there wouldn't be much devious Roman intrigue to interweave with their story. It would feel a bit anticlimactic after the events surrounding the two triumvirates.

But solving the entirety of Antony's war with Octavian in two episodes was a bit frustrating. Episode #9 finishes with Antony and Octavian going to war and #10 begins with Antony already fleeing from Actium. It's like they genuinely lost an episode in the middle. The aftermath of Antony's defeat is handled brilliantly, mind, the way they manage to give gravitas and dignity to Purefoy's libidinous Antony in his death, and those last moments of camaraderie with Vorenus, are amazing.

Given how brilliant it still is, I wish they had been given the proper amount of time to develop all those stories.

I demand a last scene where octogenerian vorenus and pullo on horseback carrying the eagles of the 17th, 18th and 19th legions, riding into the sunset and in the last line, pullo says "I told you we couldn't trust that fucker Arminius".
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

I would have liked to have seen some kind of slightly irreverent take on the Nativity, if not the Crucifixion.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

Gravity- Very intense. This is one of those films that, while great, have too harsh a visceral impact for me to truly enjoy.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire- As good as the first, as befits a multi-volume narrative.
Kick-Ass 2- Slightly lesser than the first, as befits an add-on sequel.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Queequeg on May 04, 2014, 10:25:05 AM
I would have liked to have seen some kind of slightly irreverent take on the Nativity, if not the Crucifixion.

knock knock

Mary: who's there?
Creepy guy next door: The Holy Ghost
Mary: cum in....

well, you know what cums next
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

Quote from: Viking on May 04, 2014, 12:26:52 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on May 04, 2014, 10:25:05 AM

knock knock

Mary: who's there?
Creepy guy next door: The Holy Ghost
Mary: cum in....

well, you know what cums next

One things for sure, it ain't gonna be a worse joke cum a knocking.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 03, 2014, 06:20:59 PM

This time around I thought it was interesting that Charles Chaplin, like the tramp in this story, was a rags to riches success.  The scene in the end where the tramp picks up big Jim's discarded cigar and starts smoking it was somewhat similar to the real Chaplin.  Chaplin kept a number of his frugal habits from his poor years after becoming a successful actor; going so far as living in flea bag hotels when he was a multi-millionaire.

Maybe the fleabag hotels were more lax about Chaplin hosting underage women?  :hmm:

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

IIRC the original plan for Rome intended it to run for 5 or 6 seasons, with all the Egyptian plot with Mark Antony and Cleopatra taking the whole penultimate season, with the last season set in Palestine, including the shoehorned jewish plot they put at the end of the show with the radicals agains Herod.

Ideologue

Amazing Spider-Man 2 was rad.  I'm pretty sure it's my favorite Spider-Man movie of them all.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2014, 02:55:52 PM
IIRC the original plan for Rome intended it to run for 5 or 6 seasons, with all the Egyptian plot with Mark Antony and Cleopatra taking the whole penultimate season, with the last season set in Palestine, including the shoehorned jewish plot they put at the end of the show with the radicals agains Herod.

Yeah, that jewish subplot sticks out like a sore thumb, and ends up going nowhere.

Sophie Scholl

Anyone else watching Turn?  Is it truly that necessary to make the British evil that you play the "good" slave owner versus the "evil" liberator?  Way to make free and loose with the facts to pull the homer crowd.  It gets more slanted each week.  Ugh. <_<
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 05, 2014, 02:43:48 AM
Anyone else watching Turn

Yes. The rebels being the good guys is historically accurate.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

OK why on earth didn't they ever make a comedy based on this:

Ayrton Senna: Racing legend's Norwich years,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-27241760

Turns out Ayrton Senna used to live in Norwich, home to legendary sports/tv presenter Alan Partridge. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 05, 2014, 02:43:48 AM
Anyone else watching Turn?  Is it truly that necessary to make the British evil that you play the "good" slave owner versus the "evil" liberator?  Way to make free and loose with the facts to pull the homer crowd.  It gets more slanted each week.  Ugh. <_<

Great user name/post combo.  :lol:

But yeah, it seems like US TV is simply incapable of making a balanced series based on US history.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius