News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2014, 07:26:05 PM
You're such a misogynist.  You disgust me.

I just can't stand the writing, tried watching it once and was so unfunny.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Watching sirens. It's ok I guess. Think it's based on a uk show. Damn imperialist Americans stealing other peoples tv shows.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Capetan Mihali

The Great Beauty (La grande bellezza) was marvelous.  Definitely one I'm glad I saw in theaters, there was a genuine filmic splendor to so many of the shots.

I predict Ide will instinctively want to enjoy the stunning cinematography, but will basically be incapable of engaging with this film, about and set in the milieu of the idle rich as it is.  Even though it's an acid satire of the same, and grapples with heavy questions of existence in suitably portentous/pretentious terms.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

viper37

No one is talking about the Walking Dead, so I guess, you are all as shocked as I am.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Queequeg

I think I'm done with The Walking Dead.  That was an extremely manipulative, childish attempt at psychology.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

What are you whining about now spellus?

katmai

Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2014, 12:30:22 AM
No one is talking about the Walking Dead, so I guess, you are all as shocked as I am.

Not really, they just took a subplot out of comics and finally used it.

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2014, 01:00:24 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 17, 2014, 12:30:22 AM

Not really, they just took a subplot out of comics and finally used it.
I don't read comics.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

citizen k

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2014, 12:46:20 AM
What are you whining about now spellus?

Need better access to mental healthcare during zombie apocalypse.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on March 16, 2014, 05:25:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2014, 10:54:18 AM
The True Detective finale was watched by less than 1% of the American population - I'd get my arse on the street if I ever wrote a show with such abysmal ratings, but there it has been considered, legitimately, a hit.
You're looking at the numbers the wrong way.  This is "cable tv", i.e. pay tv, a channel for wich you must subscribe on top or your basic channels.  You got to look at it on the number of households connected to HBO to see if it's a hit or not.  I suspect Game of Thrones isn't significantly higher on its first run.

They are most likely losing money on the first season, but they will recoup their losses with a second season and sales to other network stations for a second run.

No, that's exactly what I mean. The critical mass of the US market allows for a cable network - which is subscribed and watched by only a minority of the population - to push out well funded quality shows.

Spanish cable TVs can't afford to produce their own fiction programming, because our market is so much smaller.

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2014, 04:58:05 AM

No, that's exactly what I mean. The critical mass of the US market allows for a cable network - which is subscribed and watched by only a minority of the population - to push out well funded quality shows.

Spanish cable TVs can't afford to produce their own fiction programming, because our market is so much smaller.

Yes, because spanish isn't a world language with hundreds of millions of native speakers, unlike danish.....

and that is why they can't make good tv

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Viking on March 17, 2014, 05:43:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2014, 04:58:05 AM

Yes, because spanish isn't a world language with hundreds of millions of native speakers, unlike danish.....

and that is why they can't make good tv
:yes:

Spanish has the second most native speakers after Mandarin, English is only third.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

celedhring

Latin America is very impermeable to our exports. Our accent is too silly for them. Likewise, we only buy over-the-top cheap soap operas off them, where the silly accent is expected and part of the production values. 

Actually, we sell more dubbed TV to Eastern European countries than original language programming to South America.

Our problem is that production values are too shit for selling mainstream programming to big, rich countries (UK/US/Germany, etc...). And our programming is too mainstream for the hipster, "let's watch weird foreign TV", crowd.

Fact is that people don't consume much imported non-English language TV.

Iormlund

It's not really the same language. The only Latinamerican dialect/accent I can tolerate is Argentinian. I'll eat my hat before watching a Mexican show.

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on March 17, 2014, 06:17:22 AM

It's not really the same language. The only Latinamerican dialect/accent I can tolerate is Argentinian. I'll eat my hat before watching a Mexican show.