News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I missed "Llewyn Davis" in the theater here, Thursday was its last run, despite actually going twice (once because of technical problems with the film, once because as soon as I walked into the crowded little side theater it was in, I saw my boss and her daughter near the only available seats and just split, since I was alone), and being foiled a bunch of other times, so I was bummed; but now I see they've got "La grande bellezza" replacing it. :w00t:
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

The Larch

La grande bellezza is great, but you must be warned that it's quite bizzarre and artsy. Don't expect anything conventional.

celedhring

I adore Le Grande Bellezza, one of my favorite films of the year :wub:

But yeah, it essentially has no plot. Just a collection of (amazing) scenes of an old guy drinking his life away in the Roman night.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on March 14, 2014, 04:49:39 PM
I missed "Llewyn Davis" in the theater here, Thursday was its last run, despite actually going twice (once because of technical problems with the film, once because as soon as I walked into the crowded little side theater it was in, I saw my boss and her daughter near the only available seats and just split, since I was alone), and being foiled a bunch of other times, so I was bummed; but now I see they've got "La grande bellezza" replacing it. :w00t:
:w00t: Haven't seen it but that's my favourite actor-director combo at the moment.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Filling the coveted BBC 4 9 o'clock Saturday  foreign language drama at the moment is Salamander.

I'm about four episodes in. It's a Flemish political thriller. It's okay.

The real problem is it's competing with some very impressive shows like The Bridge, The Killing, Borgen and Spiral ('Engrenages') and this just feels very cliched and a little melodramatic. I mean all of those shows have wonderful female leads while this has a middle-aged maverick cop with a past who just won't give up.

Belgium's a country that went without a government for two years and whose justice system has lots of questions lingering after Dutroux. So it's a shame because I think a slower burning drama could have really worked in that setting. As it is it's all a bit fast-moving and vaguely absurd depending on thirty mile an hour car chases rather than atmosphere for the interest.

I'll watch it to the end.

On a related note, any decent Spanish language TV?
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I've been playing some of my favorite silent films for my wife.  Tonight we saw "The Last Laugh," (Der letzte Mann).  At the ending we had the following conversation:

CB:  Is this the happy ending.
Savonarola:   Yes, of course, he has a fortune, he has champagne and he has a monocle.  How much more happiness do you want?
CB:  He doesn't have a top hat, even Mr. Peanut has a top hat.
Savonarola:  That's what is needed for happiness?
CB:  Yes!

So, now you know.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Is that fancy Spanish talk for Grand Piano? :)

I know it's not.  It's some hifalutin art movie that isn't about Brian De Palma or star Elijah Wood, like, at all. :(

I guess I ought to see it.  I mean, despite the actual foreign language films of 2013 routinely being incredibly disappointing (I didn't watch a single one that was not monstrously overrated, and the very bestest, Warmest Color, isn't a patch on the great Hollywood romances it was up against).  But maybe The Past will be great.

Last great Goddamned foreign film I watched was Harakiri, for Christ's sake... <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on March 14, 2014, 09:38:19 PM
I've been playing some of my favorite silent films for my wife.  Tonight we saw "The Last Laugh," (Der letzte Mann).  At the ending we had the following conversation:

CB:  Is this the happy ending.
Savonarola:   Yes, of course, he has a fortune, he has champagne and he has a monocle.  How much more happiness do you want?
CB:  He doesn't have a top hat, even Mr. Peanut has a top hat.
Savonarola:  That's what is needed for happiness?
CB:  Yes!

So, now you know.   :bowler:

Welcome to America.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 10:16:10 PM

Is that fancy Spanish talk for Grand Piano? :)

I know it's not.  It's some hifalutin art movie that isn't about Brian De Palma or star Elijah Wood, like, at all. :(

I guess I ought to see it.  I mean, despite the actual foreign language films of 2013 routinely being incredibly disappointing (I didn't watch a single one that was not monstrously overrated, and the very bestest, Warmest Color, isn't a patch on the great Hollywood romances it was up against).  But maybe The Past will be great.

Last great Goddamned foreign film I watched was Harakiri, for Christ's sake... <_<

I'd like you to watch the Celebration and tell me what you think. It's Danish, and a bit old, but I'd be interested in the Ide view of it.

Ideologue

I watched about ten minutes of Festen for background on Jagten.  I was appalled by its hideous Dogme look and somewhat annoyed by its characters, so I went and watched Speed Racer again or something. :P

However, I'll definitely get back to it.  I am made to understand it's 1)important, due to its leadership in the Danish anti-film movement and 2)bracingly good, due to the nasty pitch its story (reportedly) eventually reaches.
Kinemalogue

Iormlund

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2014, 08:36:44 PM

God no.

celedhring

Quote from: Iormlund on March 15, 2014, 04:49:40 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2014, 08:36:44 PM

God no.

Don't be so self-hating, there's some decent stuff out there, although a lot of it it's "too Spanish" maybe. I tried introducing some American friends to "Muchachada nui"/"Hora chanante" and they didn't get it, but it's as good as any anglo-saxon surreal comedy show, imho.

A lot of vintage prestige minis are good too. Los gozos y las sombras, Fortunata y Jacinta, Don Quijote, Cañas y Barro, El Lute... all good. They were all made 30 years ago, that's true, when our public TV had no competition and could put out this kind of programming without worrying about market share. Now that they moved to a non-ad supported model, they are doing interesting stuff again, like Isabel - plus they have some really interesting projects that should come out soon. Wasn't Isabel picked up by an UK channel? Sheilbh could really give that one a try.

I will also stand up for Catalan TV and claim that Porca Misèria is one of the best series ever made in Spain. Polseres Vermelles is getting a yank remake, and it's an insanely effective tear-jerker-yet-feel-good story, but it's for teens and no man over 18 should really approach it.

Yeah, stuff made my Americans and Brits is usually better for a number of reasons (mainly market size and foreign market penetration that allows them to make more niche programming that it's still commercially viable, plus the BBC), but there's some good stuff.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2014, 08:36:44 PMOn a related note, any decent Spanish language TV?

Crematorio.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on March 15, 2014, 06:23:59 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2014, 08:36:44 PMOn a related note, any decent Spanish language TV?

Crematorio.

Didn't like it that much myself, but yeah, it's decent. Pity that experiment of turning Canal+ into a Spanish HBO fizzled so badly.

The girl in charge of programming was oh so insanely hot too.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on March 15, 2014, 06:51:44 AMThe girl in charge of programming was oh so insanely hot too.

You mean Tommi's wife?  :P