News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beenherebefore

I missed the first few seasons of "The League", but have been catching up on Netflix. That is one funny show. Bobbum Man and fear boners, Rafi and Dirty Randy.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Savonarola

Through the Backdoor (1921)

This comes from the very brief period in US popular culture when Belgium was cool.  Mary Pickford plays a young girl pawned off on her Belgian nurse by her wealthy mother.  Mary grows up on a Belgian farm where she engages in stereotypical Belgian behavior like... :unsure:  like... :unsure: actually she just clowns around.  Not even Hollywood of the 1920s could come up with a Belgian stereotype.

Mary's mother comes back to claim her five years later, but the nurse lies to the mother telling that Mary has drown.  The Germans invade and Mary is sent back to America with a sworn statement from her nurse that she's the real Mary.  She picks up two little Belgian orphans, a duck and a cat and smuggles them all into America.  When they arrive at her mother's opulent home she assumes they're beggars and pawns them off on the cook.  Mary works as a servant in her mother's house.  There's a weekend party among the idle rich, which turns out to be more successful Bolshevik propaganda than anything Eisenstein ever made; secrets are revealed and everything turns out happily. 

The film (like many of the era) comes from a more innocent time.  There's a wealthy boy who is smitten by Mary when she's a maid.  At the end of the film they meet again and she's introduced as a daughter come back from school in Belgium.  They walk off for a tête-à-tête.  As they do one of the adults asks (in title card) "Has Jack ever been in Belgium?"  And I thought, "He's working on it; give him time."

Mary's brother, Jack Pickford, is listed as co-director.  Most likely his sister just gave him a job so he'd have something to do as he was badly broken up about the death of his wife, Olive Thomas.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Belgian stereotype?
They..um...they....solve crimes?
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Quote from: Tyr on March 14, 2014, 08:41:07 AM
Belgian stereotype?
Slaughter Congolese.
Surrender to Germans.
Brew great beer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Beenherebefore

And maybe make some dark chocolate and serve mayonaisse on stuff that doesn't need it.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Eddie Teach

Random smattering of stereotypes of French and/or Dutch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Scipio on March 14, 2014, 08:47:03 AM
Belgian stereotype?
Slaughter Congolese.
Surrender to Germans.
Brew great beer.

Don't forget the FRENCH fries!

Also, WW1 Belgium didn't surrender, IIRC.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Scipio on March 14, 2014, 08:47:03 AM
Belgian stereotype?
Slaughter Congolese.
Surrender to Germans.
Brew great beer.

Beer, eurobureaucracy, mussels and pedophiles.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on March 14, 2014, 09:05:27 AM
Don't forget the FRENCH fries!

Also, WW1 Belgium didn't surrender, IIRC.

Indeed they also had the good fortune of not being used in the actual fighting much because preserving the remains of their army was so politically important.  On the downside their country was occupied and starving under the British blockade except for one tiny corner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 03:16:23 PM
Quote from: celedhring on March 13, 2014, 01:47:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 13, 2014, 01:16:05 PM
They make you wear pants like the Hiterites they are. :angry:

Thanks, Sav. :hug:

The last one I went to seemed like it was about eight hours, but it was also students at university, so it's probably fairer to blame the musicians than the music. But in any event, it's hard to recall its actual duration.

The show featured in Grand Piano isn't a symphony, though, but a piano concert where he plays several shorter pieces. Those concerts last about an hour, plus intermission. Still longer than the film makes it to be, but less preposterous.

Ah, I see.  I was thinking it might be like a Rope situation, where what is clearly meant to be about six hours is handled in real time yet somehow only takes eighty minutes.  It's one of the neat subtle aspects of the Hitchcock film, and helps establish this bizarre, awesome hyperreal world, alongide the gorgeously gaudy Technicolor and all that exquisitely "movie" dialogue.  I guess GP is more like the ordinary playfulness with time such as can be found in virtually any movie--not enough of a cheat to be worth mentioning.

Now, the ticket prices on the other hand... :hmm:

Cel, do you know if that was a real concert hall or a set?  (I know the "Antoine Michelle Hall" is a fictional location, but I mean the interiors; I tried to google first, honest. :P )  I'm leaning toward set, but if so, what an opulent one, especially for what I was made to understand was a pretty low-budget affair that even then must've spent most of its cash on Wood and Cusack.  I'm wondering, I guess, if Javier Alvarino is a genius, or got lucky...

It's a mixture of a real theatre in Chicago and a studio set in Barcelona. There's lots of SFX trickery, to make it look larger and mix the studio-built stage with the real location. They wanted to shoot entirely on location, but it was impossible to make all those elaborate shots and sweeping camera movements inside a real theatre, so they had to build a set.

Ideologue

Very cool.  Thanks. :hug:

Didn't notice any effects work at all--well, other than the bullet hole.  Well-integrated stuff.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2014, 11:17:08 AM
Very cool.  Thanks. :hug:

Didn't notice any effects work at all--well, other than the bullet hole.  Well-integrated stuff.

Yeah the guy that did it - the one that owes me money - is one of the best doing SFX integration.

There's little SFX-created stuff, it's mostly creating a fictional space through shots of real ones.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

I wouldn't call what the Serbs, Poles, Ukrainians or Belorussians did "surrendering."
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."