News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2014, 05:25:01 PM
I give Spazllus credit, though;  if he came up with a screenplay, it would be filled with so many arcane references and devices, only the most literate Languishite could appreciate it.

But the pitch would fail because he'd have watered it down with so much armpit-of-Europe reactionary ethnicky bullshit, they'd never buy the treatment.
Being a showrunner for a drama on the Russian Revolution has been my dream since I was about 17. I had a notebook with ideas on it. Nabokov's father Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov was the protagonist and a minor nobility anarchist with Bolshevik connections was the antihero. Started with murder of Stolypin. It could be good.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2014, 06:57:15 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2014, 06:40:57 PM
I watch an episode of My Little Pony today. It was pretty grim.

Welcome to my goddamned life, with 2 pony addicted girls.
:nelson:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2014, 06:40:57 PM
I watch an episode of My Little Pony today. It was pretty grim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic_fandom

this is one of those internet things I know that exist, but don't care to explore myself.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Queequeg

It's supposed to be decent.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on March 09, 2014, 06:59:37 PM
Being a showrunner for a drama on the Russian Revolution has been my dream since I was about 17. I had a notebook with ideas on it. Nabokov's father Vladimir Dmitrievich Nabokov was the protagonist and a minor nobility anarchist with Bolshevik connections was the antihero. Started with murder of Stolypin. It could be good.

I'd watch that.  You'd probably all fuck it up with your fucked up taste in chicks, though.   :P

Queequeg

Brit Marling as radical feminist anarchist bumping uglies with Anarchist Antihero, Caroline Dhavernas or Eva Green as megamilf Elena Ivanovna Nabokova. 

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 09, 2014, 07:20:11 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 09, 2014, 06:59:37 PM

I'd watch that.  You'd probably all fuck it up with your fucked up taste in chicks, though.   :P
This is....a lot of exposition about Nabokov's Baltic German's wife's heritage....
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Anyway we need a TV series of the French Revolution first - based on Mantel's A Place of Greater Safety :mmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I saw another collection of Laurel  :bowler: and Hardy  :bowler: rarities.  They had some real oddities like Stan Laurel's home movies (thrill as the Laurel children ride ponies!)  The stand out piece was "The Stolen Jools" which was a charity film for a tuberculosis sanitarium; brought to us by Chesterfield Cigarettes. :smoke:  It featured nearly every major star of 1931; as a charity film they could get actors from multiple studios.  The premise was that Norma Shearer's jewels were stolen at a Hollywood party; and so each of the stars are questioned in turn.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

I don't think so.  The French Revolution seems a lot less dramatically interesting to me.  There's a lot less contemporary or near-contemporary fiction on it, too.  I was really in to Dostoevsky's Demons as a kid, and the character Pyotr Stepanovich Verkhovensky is one of my favorites in all of literature and I'd argue we've never seen anything like him on prestige television. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on March 09, 2014, 07:30:13 PM
The French Revolution seems a lot less dramatically interesting to me.

Pfft.  And the Borat comes out.

Queequeg

CountDeMoney

Queequeg

Lenin's a substantially more singular and weirder figure than Robespierre, and I think there's, if anything, a lot more violence and insanity in Russia than in the French Revolution.  Also, the French Revolution is complicated (in my mind) by the fact that they're all basically right, and that Liberalism is cool.  Communism was always insanity, and thus intrinsically interesting from a dramatic perspective. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on March 09, 2014, 07:34:06 PM
Lenin's a substantially more singular and weirder figure than Robespierre, and I think there's, if anything, a lot more violence and insanity in Russia than in the French Revolution.  Also, the French Revolution is complicated (in my mind) by the fact that they're all basically right, and that Liberalism is cool.  Communism was always insanity, and thus intrinsically interesting from a dramatic perspective.

So executing class enemies is cool as long as you don't take their property?  :hmm: