News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Oh, it is.  I hated it when I first saw it, but it's slowly become one of my all-time favorites.  It's almost infinitely fascinating.  The world building is incredible, and it's on a larger scale than just about any movie I've ever seen.  It's phenominal. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Beenherebefore

The BBC drama "Line of Duty" has a second series, and I am hooked.
Internal affairs police up against something very sinister.

Tried watching "Chicago PD", gave up. "The Blacklist" has one redeeming quality, and it's Spader. The rest is tosh.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Liep

I tried watching The Blacklist, but even Spader couldn't save that mess for me.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2014, 04:45:33 AM
I tried watching The Blacklist, but even Spader couldn't save that mess for me.

Ditto. Everybody who was not-spader in that show was a waste of time. Even the female lead was "homely" rather than tv hott
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

:huh:

Homely is pushing it rather severely. She's definitely pretty. So is Bend it Like Beckham chick.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 11, 2014, 05:42:10 AM
:huh:

Homely is pushing it rather severely. She's definitely pretty. So is Bend it Like Beckham chick.

I demand internet level hottness to make up for broadcast tv blandness. Parminder Nagra's character is of course much more interesting than the bland leading lady.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Savonarola

The Gold Rush (1942 re-release)

Chaplin's only silent feature-length film where he had a complete story written before he started it; consequently it almost has a plot.  The first part of the film was inspired by the Donner Party; I doubt anyone has gotten so many laughs from starvation.  The second part is more standard Chaplin fare, with the girl and enormous rival.

The dinner roll dance scene is among the best of Chaplin's gags.  Fatty Arbuckle did a similar dance in "The Rough House," but Chaplin does it much better.

The re-release had a new score and narration by Chaplin.  I think it loses some of the appeal with a near constant voice-over.  Plus it's a little weird to hear Chaplin refer to his own character as "The Little Fellow."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

I liked the movie where Chaplin single-handedly brought America into World War II.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

In case I don't finish the formal review at any point ever, do give Eugenio Mira and Elijah Wood and John Cusack your money for Grand Piano.  It's spectacular (if you like claustrophobic Hitchcock/De Palma thrillers, i.e. "good movies"; it is substantially better than Vertigo, rather better than Notorious, better shot than Strangers On a Train, a smidgen better than Psycho, but not as good as Rope; and basically equal to Blow Out or Mission: Impossible, though it is consistently prettier than either, and as far as I can tell is the most flashily/best shot movie since Gravity, if that's even a fair comparison for any movie).

Speaking of Rope, I watched it again the other day with my girlfriend.  She gave it an A+.  She is now my WIFE.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2014, 08:02:29 AM
substantially better than Vertigo, but not as good as Rope;

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2014, 08:02:29 AM
In case I don't finish the formal review at any point ever, do give Eugenio Mira and Elijah Wood and John Cusack your money for Grand Piano.  It's spectacular (if you like claustrophobic Hitchcock/De Palma thrillers, i.e. "good movies"; it is substantially better than Vertigo, rather better than Notorious, better shot than Strangers On a Train, a smidgen better than Psycho, but not as good as Rope; and basically equal to Blow Out or Mission: Impossible, though it is consistently prettier than either, and as far as I can tell is the most flashily/best shot movie since Gravity, if that's even a fair comparison for any movie).

Speaking of Rope, I watched it again the other day with my girlfriend.  She gave it an A+.  She is now my WIFE.

Since one of the producers of Grand Piano is a close acquaintance of mine, I support that statement.

That said, I thought the movie itself was relatively bad, but salvaged by the direction and over-the-top acting of the people involved, who all seem to understand and underline that they are pretty much acting up a grand-gignol. If you really like exaggerated, implausibly-plotted and deeply silly thrillers, it is a fun ride, but if you look for more serious fare you'll hate it.

I suppose the Hitchcock comparisons are just bait.

Ideologue

You know what the most serious movie in the world is?  North By Northwest.

Anyway, of course that's all accurate (though I don't think the plot is dumb, exactly, I think the plot is contrived, and contrived well).  But definitely tell your friend America loves his film! :hug:
Kinemalogue

celedhring

I love North by Nortwest...

Thanks for the transatlantic goodwill  :hug:

Grand Piano is weird to me... besides one of the producers being a close friend, the guy that does the FX owes me money, and an ex-GF shows up as an extra  :lol:

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2014, 08:17:50 AM
I doubt it :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 11, 2014, 08:56:26 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 11, 2014, 08:17:50 AM
I doubt it :P

Well, it is basically a feature length version of the end of The Man Who Knew Too Much. :D
Kinemalogue