Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 07, 2014, 07:59:52 PM
It's far from the best of the Coens. 
(Caveat: I have never seen everything else.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Fair enough, but the main point was it's not as great as people make out, which doesn't require comparison.

Still, I'm comparing it to nine other movies, which is a more than representative sample.  It doesn't matter if Intolerable Cruelty sucks or doesn't, it's not going to make Fargo better, or compare better to the three A+ films they've done (maybe four, as it's been a minute since I've seen Miller's Crossing).

Teach, you should totally see A Serious Man.  It's pretty brutal.  Probably moreso than No Country.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 08, 2014, 08:04:49 AM
Quote from: The Brain on March 08, 2014, 02:24:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 07, 2014, 09:22:16 PM
I've never watched Fargo.

But it has a Swede... :cry:

I like Gustaf SkarsgĂ„rd.  :)

And Peter Stormare.

Stormare is in Fargo, his role is great. Give it a shot, you won't regret it.

celedhring

Every time Constantine's on the telly I watch it just to see Stormare's turn as Lucifer.

Can't wait for the Constantine TV series, by the way, although I'm a bit afraid about it being a broadcast series. They'll probably sanitize a lot of the stuff.

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on March 08, 2014, 08:55:03 AM
Man Hannibal really stepped up it's game. The first season had some real problems but fuck the first two episodes have been amazing.

The most recent, simply put, is the best episode the show has ever had.  It's the tensest, most engaging the story has ever been; the featured murderer is one of the most interesting; Hannibal's antics approach their most sinister.  Even the cinematography is probably the best its been.  The only minor flaw was some of the dialogue Crawford has at the crime scene, which is terrible, but nonetheless pays off in a most satisfying way.

What I found most interesting is that this is also, by far, the funniest episode of Hannibal there ever was.  Did they get a punch-up writer for this season or something?  There's like three great jokes in this episode of the serial killer horror-thriller show.  I had to pause the show twice because I was laughing enough I missed subsequent dialogue.

And I'm still loving Hannibal's moon suit too.

Incidentally, I noticed that Hannibal is TV-14?  Yeah, sure, whatever--if they so much as cussed a bit more and showed the nudity that they artfully/incredibly distractingly hide with camerawork, blocking, and (I believe) CG, Hannibal as an MPAA-rated film I suspect would be skirting an NC-17.  TV-14 my ass. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Queequeg

Yeah but NO TITTIES.  That's what is important. 

I feel like the last 2 episodes of the last season were similarly spectacular.  Once Fuller started breaking out of the strict monster-of-the-week cocoon it really gained a lot of momentum.  Also, Fromage. Fromage is a fucking fantastic episode. 

Also, Ide; best soundtrack in TV history? 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Also, Bryan Fuller is one of the funniest people in TV. Season 2 of Pushing Daisies is pretty close to perfect.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on March 08, 2014, 01:00:12 PM
Yeah but NO TITTIES.  That's what is important. 

I feel like the last 2 episodes of the last season were similarly spectacular.  Once Fuller started breaking out of the strict monster-of-the-week cocoon it really gained a lot of momentum.  Also, Fromage. Fromage is a fucking fantastic episode. 

Also, Ide; best soundtrack in TV history?

I can't speak to TV history; I dunno if I'd go so far as to call it great.  I notice it occasionally, I like it.  The only great TV scoring/tracking/musical accompaniment I've really been aware of was BSG--Bear McCrary is really excellent.  Also, maybe an episode or two of TNG (I'm thinking of Best of Both Worlds, and really some specific moments of BoBW).
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I feel reasonably comfortable saying some of best gore effects in TV history though, unless the paid cable networks have been doing some really wicked shit.
Kinemalogue

Queequeg

I love the unexpected non-instrumental additions.  There's a car-revving sound during last year's season finale (this), and the [spoiler]sound effects during Alana's hypnosis[/spoiler] was, frankly, completely terrifying.  Very, very scary.

Queequeg

I didn't notice it before, but Madds' accent for Hannibal isn't his regular English accent.  It's vaguely similar, but kind of hammed-up and intensified. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 08, 2014, 09:13:14 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2014, 08:35:51 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 07, 2014, 07:59:52 PM
It's far from the best of the Coens. 
(Caveat: I have never seen everything else.

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Fair enough, but the main point was it's not as great as people make out, which doesn't require comparison.

Still, I'm comparing it to nine other movies, which is a more than representative sample.  It doesn't matter if Intolerable Cruelty sucks or doesn't, it's not going to make Fargo better, or compare better to the three A+ films they've done (maybe four, as it's been a minute since I've seen Miller's Crossing).

No, it's just par for the course when it comes to your fact-based decision-making processes.  :P

Josephus

Speaking of titties, is Lena gonna flash hers on SNL tonight? :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2014, 06:14:36 PM

:yucky:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on March 08, 2014, 06:14:36 PM

I demand new tits, not tits I've already seen, be it on girls or in 300.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Started watching Hannibal. On episode 4.

Will Graham is the dream man :wub:

Hannibal's not far off :mellow: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!