News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Viking on March 06, 2014, 06:00:48 AM
I just want to say, Arrow is Ossum, it is the best thing on TV (cable or broadcast or streaming) right now. I raved about it (so did amscip too iirc) in previous seasons but it just gets better and better.
Me, too! :(  Most recently:
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 28, 2014, 04:09:43 AM
After this past Wednesday's episode, I think Arrow might be my favorite show on television right now, and one of my favorite shows of all time.  Something about it just entertains the heck out of me on multiple levels.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Arrow? I didn't even see the Indian.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

The Way Back

Ed Harris and Colin Farrell

A group of political prisoners (of various nationalities) escape a gulag in Irkutsk and walk south all the way to India. I liked it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

MadImmortalMan

No Nazis. But shirtless Colin Farrell with huge tattoos of Lenin and Stalin across his chest though.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 06, 2014, 04:16:20 PM
The Way Back

Ed Harris and Colin Farrell

A group of political prisoners (of various nationalities) escape a gulag in Irkutsk and walk south all the way to India. I liked it.

I find Colin Farrell much more bearable when he uglies up, like here and in Horrible Bosses.

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 06, 2014, 04:22:09 PM
No Nazis. But shirtless Colin Farrell with huge tattoos of Lenin and Stalin across his chest though.  :P

Method actors are weird.

Queequeg

Anyone watched  Les Revenants?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 06, 2014, 03:55:05 PM
Quote from: Viking on March 06, 2014, 06:00:48 AM
I just want to say, Arrow is Ossum, it is the best thing on TV (cable or broadcast or streaming) right now. I raved about it (so did amscip too iirc) in previous seasons but it just gets better and better.
Me, too! :(  Most recently:
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 28, 2014, 04:09:43 AM
After this past Wednesday's episode, I think Arrow might be my favorite show on television right now, and one of my favorite shows of all time.  Something about it just entertains the heck out of me on multiple levels.

The Clock-King episode was great. Who'd have though Clock King would be so menacing. I'm sort of expecting to see Pack Rat or Condiment King show up and freak me out soon enough.

This is the trailer for the next 4-5 episodes including deathstroke, suicide squad, birds of prey and a possible harley quinn sighting. Slade's monologue is almost straight out of Knightfall when Bane promises to do the same to batman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxtdOtNOrRw

The guys writing this show are minig the dc back catalogue for great ideas. Virtually every single named character in the show (even one offs) is some form of continutiy reference. Only Diggle and Moira aren't specifically taken from the comics (jon diggle was a writer on the green arrow comic though).

I appreciate the show is on CW, but they manage to both fit the cw dictates (parties, fashonable clothes on the females, male abs etc) while keeping up an intense pace, even for a 1 hr show, there is virtually no downtime in any episode. I think the two parallel arcs, island and starling mean that no episode feels like filler, even if one of the arcs might be filler.

I'm totally hooked and I don't only watch the show but also three after shows (John Campea, Emergency Awesom and Geekvolution on YouTube), then re-watch to catch what I missed.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Condiment King would be pretty badass.  Along with Mopup.
PDH!

Ideologue

Clock King was great in that Batman: TAS episode.  I think it's the one I remember the best.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on March 06, 2014, 05:56:02 PM
Clock King was great in that Batman: TAS episode.  I think it's the one I remember the best.

He had two, and got away both times iirc. Neppers Clock King was a lot like him, only more desperate and stabby with the minute hand.... as well as the ironic, time running out for him.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Bowler hat?  This is important.  I might say vital.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

37 Days to War.

Period drama about the start of the First World War. A bit simple at times, but totally redeemed by an outstanding performance by Ian McDiarmid as (a rather old) Sir Edward Grey.
Let's bomb Russia!