News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

What's with the Evita avatar, Garb?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 08:28:39 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on March 04, 2014, 08:15:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 07:36:58 PM
I'm excited season 2 has started up.
That premiere was fucking horrifying.  It's great how the show can have fake weddings with everyone in horrible wigs, and then a 17 year old boy walks in to find his entire family murdered. 

:D
Also Margot Martindale is fucking amazing.  Just fucking perfect.  She's a female Philip Seymour Hoffman. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on March 04, 2014, 10:26:00 PM

Black history month was over and it was conveniently available from where I'd used it before. Why?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 09:13:18 PM
Side note, I'm not sure I like that we're labelled Neil. I feel so confused. :blush:
Neil is the top posting queue, on account of my formerly prodigious production.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Phillip V

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 03, 2014, 12:35:18 AM
A feel good Walking Dead episode.  :)
Very little feeling. Just a hug.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Phillip V on March 05, 2014, 12:50:07 AM

They may be the only people left in the world for all they know, but I don't think it's more than a week or two since the prison got busted up. Also, her character may still be under 18.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 10:51:48 PM

Black history month was over and it was conveniently available from where I'd used it before. Why?

Because it's actually the only Lloyd Webber thing I like.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2014, 01:02:06 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 05, 2014, 12:50:07 AM

They may be the only people left in the world for all they know, but I don't think it's more than a week or two since the prison got busted up. Also, her character may still be under 18.

Everyone's pretty much assuming everyone else got killed in the prison bust up.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josephus on March 05, 2014, 07:22:18 AM

I prefer Phantom.

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on March 05, 2014, 07:22:18 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 10:51:48 PM

:hug:

I think I first used that avatar when I was going to see (which was ultimately a tad disappointing) the recent Broadway revival.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

I just want to say, Arrow is Ossum, it is the best thing on TV (cable or broadcast or streaming) right now. I raved about it (so did amscip too iirc) in previous seasons but it just gets better and better.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

celedhring

Quote from: Viking on March 06, 2014, 06:00:48 AM
I just want to say, Arrow is Ossum, it is the best thing on TV (cable or broadcast or streaming) right now. I raved about it (so did amscip too iirc) in previous seasons but it just gets better and better.

I started watching when it was shown over here but just couldn't get into it for some reason and dropped it after 4-5 episodes. Might have to give it another chance as I keep seeing people raving about it.

Eddie Teach

Oblivion. Never really bought into it.

Viking

Quote from: celedhring on March 06, 2014, 06:06:52 AM
Quote from: Viking on March 06, 2014, 06:00:48 AM

I started watching when it was shown over here but just couldn't get into it for some reason and dropped it after 4-5 episodes. Might have to give it another chance as I keep seeing people raving about it.

There is a lot of backstory to get started and they do have some dead ends to go down season 1. From about episode 8 season 1 they know what they are doing and from the Huntress episode it just gets better and better.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ideologue

Non-Stop (2014).  A handsomely appointed locked-room mystery-thriller that could stand a tightened running time and a rather more engaged lead, but does deliver without a great deal of fuss.

Thank you for smoking

B

Waitress (2007).  A mediocre actress' (Keri Russell) villainous cartoon of an abusive husband nonetheless possesses real and working semen, despite possessing no other human qualities such as you might expect in a movie that was written, and gets pregnant.  Boring scenes ensue.  The proceedings are enlivened only by the presence of Nathan Fillion, who acts everyone else's face off and manages to be reasonably funny.  The film ends with Keri Russell telling her husband she's getting a divorce.  Apparently, this was impossible previously, but possible now.  Why?  No one knows, and only my girlfriend cares.

Also notable for a subplot involving a woman who marries a man who pesters her until she submits.  This picture has a great many mixed messages, and is only interesting to the extent that I enjoyed the visual depiction of Keri Russell inventing pies, and if that's the interesting part of a movie, you can safely assume the movie sucks.

D+ (But if she asks, it's a C+)

Dredd is coming at some point in the near future.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)