News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

I was surprised by how funny he, and to a certain extent his entire family were.  Also, was it just me or did the best looking son seem gay?  That's pretty common among Mormons, though. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 10:00:28 PM
I was surprised by how funny he, and to a certain extent his entire family were. 
Yeah. He comes across very well, shame he couldn't in the campaign. On the other hand Paul Ryan's cameo is insufferable :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Yeah, but I think it's obvious what the attraction was.  Romney really believes in that bullshit "governments borrow, give stuff away" theory that is pretty much Ryan's raison d'etre.  It was kind of startling; he's an accomplished, funny, if somewhat stiff man with a huge, loving family who suddenly blurts out some of the most hateful Randian rhetoric imaginable.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

The family interaction was very funny. Mitt was always the most grounded and accurate in his analysis. The sons and his brother were just so over the top and positive. If it were me I would have slapped them.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 10:36:56 PM
Yeah, but I think it's obvious what the attraction was.  Romney really believes in that bullshit "governments borrow, give stuff away" theory that is pretty much Ryan's raison d'etre.  It was kind of startling; he's an accomplished, funny, if somewhat stiff man with a huge, loving family who suddenly blurts out some of the most hateful Randian rhetoric imaginable.

He certainly didn't get it from his father.

Queequeg

Mormons don't know how to not think positively.  It's completely bizarre.  I had a cousin with mental illness who ended up killing herself and her entire family pretended she was going on a mission in heaven (which is an actual thing.)  It's one of the reasons that Utah is kind of the American capital of scams; Mormons believe bullshit extremely easily. 

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2014, 12:31:19 PM
[spoiler] Now why are they passive when their hands and mouth are cut is a mystery just as why there are zombies in the first place [/spoiler]

That has been covered in past seasons as well.

[spoiler]once they lose the ability to bite or claw a victim they become docile.  The why they are Zombies was covered in Season 1 iirc when they were in the Centre for Disease Control in Altanta.  Everyone is infected with something - dont think we yet know what that something is - which turns people into Zombies when they die.  The process can be sped up when a victim get bitten or clawed.  Although they seem to have dropped the clawing bit in recent episodes[/spoiler]
wich is what I mean by we don't know how the zombies came to be.  We don't know if it's an experiment gone bad, if it's gamma ray or cosmic radiations ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 10:44:11 PM
Mormons don't know how to not think positively.  It's completely bizarre.  I had a cousin with mental illness who ended up killing herself and her entire family pretended she was going on a mission in heaven (which is an actual thing.)  It's one of the reasons that Utah is kind of the American capital of scams; Mormons believe bullshit extremely easily. 
A mission in heaven?
Kind of throws doubt on the point of conversion if you can get into mormon heaven without beinga a mormon.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

Saw Frances Ha again. I really liked it.

Sheilbh

Ide will be all over this thread like an Avro Lancaster in 3...
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: Tyr on February 14, 2014, 02:45:13 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on February 13, 2014, 10:44:11 PM
A mission in heaven?
Kind of throws doubt on the point of conversion if you can get into mormon heaven without beinga a mormon.
Degrees of glory. Only active Mormons in this life become Gods with their own spirit wives and planets.

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 14, 2014, 02:55:47 AM
Ide will be all over this thread like an Avro Lancaster in 3...
This is by some margin the biggest shift I've ever felt in my opinion of a movie, I think.

daveracher

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
I am pretty damned sure the dociliity has never been covered.

You would be wrong.  Michone or however you spell her name explained it when her character was first introduced.  They didnt just show her lugging those two zombies around with her with no explanation.

Actually Milton talked about it with the Governor in season 3.
Birdman of Burlington

CountDeMoney

Quote from: daveracher on February 14, 2014, 05:34:04 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2014, 05:30:51 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on February 13, 2014, 05:28:13 PM
I am pretty damned sure the dociliity has never been covered.

You would be wrong.  Michone or however you spell her name explained it when her character was first introduced.  They didnt just show her lugging those two zombies around with her with no explanation.

Actually Milton talked about it with the Governor in season 3.

As did Andrea, when she was with Michonne in the wilderness;  granted, it was a one-sided conversation, but Andrea's character explained it.  They were individuals close to Michonne prior to turning as well.

Syt

Atlantic gives a "meh" to the Robocop remake.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/02/the-malfunctions-of-em-robocop-em/283830/

QuoteAs a general rule, a not-exactly-clamored-for remake such as this one needs some powerful animating vision, a writer or director who wants to claim authorship and make the material his own. (An earlier iteration of the project was attached to Darren Aronofsky—now that might have been interesting.) Instead, Robocop has the feel of cinema by committee, the product of acquisition rather than inspiration. The direction (by José Padilha) is competent and, as noted, the script (by Joshua Zetumer) has its moments. But there's little joy or wit on display, and the longer the film progresses the harder it becomes to shake the sense that everyone is merely going through the motions.

The original Robocop was hardly a masterpiece, but it was original. Though its relationship to the crime-phobic zeitgeist of the time may have been a bit silly, it was at least authentic. The political resonances of the remake, by contrast—a half-hearted bid to achieve topicality by connecting the story to U.S. use of drones—is self-evidently contrived. (The fact that drones aren't robots and robots aren't drones is a problem the film barely even tries to paper over.)

Is Robocop a terrible movie? Not really. By the dubious standards of off-season action remakes, it's better than most, and perhaps an acceptable diversion for those in need. But be forewarned: this is a diversion that—like its protagonist—is 100 percent canned.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.