News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

47 Ronin is blazing away at 15% on RT for pre-release reviews.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Critics have been often wrong this year.  Gatsby, Pain & Gain, The Counselor... BAD!  Star Trek Into Darkness, Frances Ha, Iron Man 3... GOOD!  On the other hand, I don't know any movie quite that universally disliked that's turned out decent.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Only one of those I've seen is Star Trek, which was good enough for top marks on a binary scale.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on December 23, 2013, 09:16:00 PM
Critics have been often wrong this year.  Gatsby, Pain & Gain, The Counselor... BAD!  Star Trek Into Darkness, Frances Ha, Iron Man 3... GOOD!  On the other hand, I don't know any movie quite that universally disliked that's turned out decent.

Did you eat paint chips as a child?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

11B4V

Elysium: C-

Battleship: D- Cant believe people went to see that in the theater. Coll graphics with Big Mo, however.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on December 24, 2013, 02:43:32 PM
Battleship: D- Cant believe people went to see that in the theater.
It's amazing what people can do sometimes :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

Emperor- The tale of immediate post-war Japan and whether or not to try the emperor for war crimes. TL Jones' Macarthur is actually a very small character in this, most of the film revolves around the dude from Lost as a lesser military man.
Not much actually happens and they could have done much much more to expand on the Japanese mindset beyond the simplistic "Emperor be god. We do what god say. Honour honour rah rah!" but its an interesting film nonetheless, the romantic subplot gets too much attention as a plot point in itself and not the framing device it should be but it isn't as bad as such things usually are.
██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: Tyr on December 24, 2013, 10:43:16 PM
Emperor- The tale of immediate post-war Japan and whether or not to try the emperor for war crimes. TL Jones' Macarthur is actually a very small character in this, most of the film revolves around the dude from Lost as a lesser military man.
Not much actually happens and they could have done much much more to expand on the Japanese mindset beyond the simplistic "Emperor be god. We do what god say. Honour honour rah rah!" but its an interesting film nonetheless, the romantic subplot gets too much attention as a plot point in itself and not the framing device it should be but it isn't as bad as such things usually are.

For a different take on the subject see "Solnste," a Russian film that covers the same period.  There's a bromance between Hirohito and MacArthur in it. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josquius

The Master- Finally got through it on my nth attempt. Just not very good.
██████
██████
██████