News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Noah Baumbach, writer (director?) of Squid and the Whale, which is, if I am not mistaken, some also twee crap, and not an awesome nature film about a squid and a whale (now that's a movie James Cameron needs to make).

But he is no stranger is the fictional seas, as co-writer of The Life Aquatic.  I mention it in the review's first paragraph, about how much, much, much better that movie is, probably because Baumbach is an Old and can be genuine when he writes fellow Olds.  Edit: I put it slightly more diplomatically.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

katmai

He co wrote it with his girlfriend Greta Gerwig (who plays Frances)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 10:56:58 AM
Frances gets a tax refund (this is presented as something of a surprise, like winning the lottery, and not something she knew was coming--and she also gets it in the actual mail like some kind of caveperson--but that's neither here nor there).

She calls this guy she knows that wears v-necks with Cosmo Kramer's coat, and invites him to dinner.  Her treat!  At the end of the meal is told her card doesn't work because they "only accept cash or credit cards."

If her debit card is like most debit cards, it works as a credit card due to Visa or Mastercard functionality.  This is, incidentally, what I mean by almost everywhere accepting debit cards.

However, she could have a PIN-only debit card, which do exist although they're pretty rare.  But if she does, she knows that she needs to be aware that many places don't have set-ups that permit direct linking to her bank, and so she would choose a restaurant she knew took her debit card, or she would at least not fail to inquire before looking foolish in front of someone.

You see that's what I mean by wrong country.

This happens, here, all the time. The debit network & the credit card network are not the same thing. My Pin-Enable debit card is different from my pin enabled credit cards.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmaiHe co wrote it with his girlfriend Greta Gerwig (who plays Frances)

Oh, yeah, that's true.  I assumed without looking that she did enough improvisations to get the credit.  I didn't know she was Baumbach's squeeze.  Makes it a lot more of gross vanity project, and all the grosser because I think it's sincere in its belief that its diarrhea ugliness is a frothy kind of beauty.

Well, anyway, her screenwriting prowess has hardly been proven.  I'm not sure exactly what your point was, other than maybe she doesn't mind writing contrived scenarios that take you intellectually out of a movie that's already done its level best to alienate you emotionally?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

3 pages of bullshit over a fucking debit card transaction scene in a film, and yet Antichrist gets a C+.

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 11:12:50 AM
Exactly, she wasn't dragooned into going to some random place.  She made the plans; thus, she is irresponsible yet again, absent-minded bordering on downright negligent.  In forms both subtle and gross, this movie truly does hate our generation.

I actually would like some movies that support our generation.  I've been watching some recent gay flicks of 20/30-somethings that pretty much never have a positive start, middle or ending. I read one director who was like it isn't a morality play so I think these endings are more realistic.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2013, 11:44:15 AM
3 pages of bullshit over a fucking debit card transaction scene in a film, and yet Antichrist gets a C+.

A C+ IS NOT A GOOD GRADE.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on December 16, 2013, 11:44:31 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 11:12:50 AM
Exactly, she wasn't dragooned into going to some random place.  She made the plans; thus, she is irresponsible yet again, absent-minded bordering on downright negligent.  In forms both subtle and gross, this movie truly does hate our generation.

I actually would like some movies that support our generation.  I've been watching some recent gay flicks of 20/30-somethings that pretty much never have a positive start, middle or ending. I read one director who was like it isn't a morality play so I think these endings are more realistic.

Concur.

You know, I gave Don Jon a fair amount of shit, but I had no trouble giving credit to its best aspect: trying to represent something like a reasonable Millennial figure, who is capable of the range of human emotions, and who may be neither too bright nor too motivated, but isn't so smug and self-satisfied about it, and finds himself capable of change.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 12:05:52 PM

It's a passing grade.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

It is in 8th grade Algebra.

Antichrist was an F-, as in It Fucking Sucked.  You grade movies like a Willem Dafoe crushed nutsack orgasm;  spraying blood and spooge everywhere.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 16, 2013, 12:19:47 PM

It's a passing grade.

Only because they want your money.  You poor sucker. :(
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on December 16, 2013, 10:31:30 AM
So what I'm hearing is it's actually less convenient to live in your affluent urban cores than it is in Hickton, USA.  Cool. :D

In affluent urban cores it is very easy to access cash and unlike Hicktown USA, there are some really good places to use it.

Ideologue

I think I've told you that I live near a Subway and I live near a Belk's.
Kinemalogue

crazy canuck

I googled "Belk's" and came up with a clothing store.