And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 25, 2013, 06:56:10 PM
Yeah, sure, why not.

You were supposed to reply "Yeah - December 2, 1805".  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

The Wrath of the Gods (1914)

Sessue Hayawaka's first film is a variation on a Japanese story.  Hayawaka is a noble whose family is cursed and if his daughter (Tsuru Aoki) ever marries anyone fire will rain down destroying the village.  An American sailor (future director Frank Borzage) is shipwrecked on the coast and he convalesces in Hayawaka's abode.  While near-drowning can be cured; yellow-fever, alas, cannot be and he proposes to Aoki.  Hayawaka at first forbids it but Borzage convinces him the Jesus is stronger than Buddha, so the couple gets married at the Japanese American mission.  The villagers get word of it and, showing all the restraint of Oriental stereotypes in the silent era, they murder Hayawaka and burn down his house.  Then the volcano erupts; but Borzage and Aoki live to continue her race; proving that Jesus is stronger than a volcano.  Take that volcano.

Hayawaka is dressed up as an old man in this one (he's actually Aoki's husband).  His gestures are a little over-broad; not uncommon in the period.  He would become much better in his next films.  Borzage would go on to win Oscars for his direction of "Seventh Heaven" and "A Farewell to Arms."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Saw a theatrical screening of the Doctor Who special which I'm sure has a proper name.  John Hurt is [spoiler]is this a spoiler? the real ninth doctor, and he's the one who fought the Time War.  But I guess metaphorical air war isn't good enough for these bleeding hearts, and Tennant and Smith team up with the denied Doctor, Hurt, to change their own personal histories, which is something you can do now I guess even though there's a whole Eccleston episode about how that DESTROYS REALITY WITH BAD CGI.  I don't understand why the Doomsday Device John Hurt did use/was about to use (timey-wimey, I guess--a good joke is made of this) had to be used to destroy the Time Lords and Daleks and not just the Daleks, whom I reckon everyone more or less agrees should be murdered to the last one.  Anyway, John Hurt is nonetheless excellent.[/spoiler]

Also, Jenna-Louise Coleman is in this, and does practically nothing; however, she is incredibly hot.

I liked it, but I can't help but feel the entire project was misconceived without [spoiler]former[/spoiler] Ninth Doctor Eccleston's involvement, considering he, you know, was the one to deal with the immediate emotional turmoil of the end of the Time War, and not Tennant or Smith, no matter how much more popular (unaccountably) or easier to work with they are.  Oh well, can't have everything!

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2013, 12:22:32 AM[spoiler]is this a spoiler? the real ninth doctor, and he's the one who fought the Time War.  But I guess metaphorical air war isn't good enough for these bleeding hearts, and Tennant and Smith team up with the denied Doctor, Hurt, to change their own personal histories, which is something you can do now I guess even though there's a whole Eccleston episode about how that DESTROYS REALITY WITH BAD CGI.  [/spoiler]
[spoiler]I thought it was implied that this was always what happened. John Hurt and Tennant won't remember, Christopher Eccleston's still going to be a bit PTSDy. There's no changing the past, but all the Doctor remembers until Smith is that he got out WMD and ended the war.

I also think that looking at it this way explains why the Daleks keep turning up after they were meant to be destroyed.[/spoiler]

QuoteI liked it, but I can't help but feel the entire project was misconceived without [spoiler]former[/spoiler] Ninth Doctor Eccleston's involvement, considering he, you know, was the one to deal with the immediate emotional turmoil of the end of the Time War, and not Tennant or Smith, no matter how much more popular (unaccountably) or easier to work with they are.  Oh well, can't have everything!
I think Eccleston doesn't want anything to do with the show any more. Which is understandable, given that he apparently wanted to avoid being typecast.

[spoiler]I also thought they explained it reasonably well. Hurt needed to see himself having forgot and moved on to make his choice. Eccleston would've just been angry, which would've been great.[/spoiler]
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Maybe the worst episode of a good TV show that I've ever seen. I don't understand how he ever got laid again after that role.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Josephus

not only did he get laid....he became a sex addict. :lol:

Yeah, that was a pretty lame episode. There were a few throw away shows each season.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ideologue

Listening to the commentary track on The Apartment; turns out Billy Wilder dropped out of law school. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on November 26, 2013, 05:57:50 PM
not only did he get laid....he became a sex addict. :lol:

Yeah, that was a pretty lame episode. There were a few throw away shows each season.
Really, that's true of pretty much every drama that runs a 22-episode season.  There's a reason why cable is so much better.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

Watched Elysium last night, I enjoyed it, worth the price I paid for it.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2013, 12:22:32 AM
Saw a theatrical screening of the Doctor Who special which I'm sure has a proper name.  John Hurt is [spoiler]is this a spoiler? the real ninth doctor, and he's the one who fought the Time War.  But I guess metaphorical air war isn't good enough for these bleeding hearts, and Tennant and Smith team up with the denied Doctor, Hurt, to change their own personal histories, which is something you can do now I guess even though there's a whole Eccleston episode about how that DESTROYS REALITY WITH BAD CGI. [/spoiler]

I dont think they did change their histories in the kind of linear sense you are talking about.

I also dont think Sheilbh's answer to that issue is entirely accurate either.

[spoiler]The tip off was when the current Dr. was reading the book on Quantum Mechanics when we first see him in the show.  All outcomes are possible.  Gallifrey was destroyed and was saved.  The Hurt character had to live with the fact that when he left the presence of the current Dr. he would forget that Gallifrey was saved but he thanked the current Dr. for a chance to be the Dr. again for at least a brief period of time - ie he had some respite from the guilt he would always feel for having destroyed Gallifrey.  The Tennant version of the Dr. would also forget.   The other tip off was the picture transformed from Gallifrey falling to Gallifrey falling no more. [/spoiler]

It was a great show.  Perhaps the best one hour science fiction show ever made.  I have great hopes for the new season.

The Brain

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 28, 2013, 10:49:47 AM
Watched Elysium last night, I enjoyed it, worth the price I paid for it.

You were paid to see it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

A movie is on TV with Denzel and some dude driving a train. Runaway Train this is not.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Olympus has Fallen.

Morgan Freeman is a bad acting President.

Rating: Meh
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Havent seen Dragonslayer (1981) in close to 20 years. Still pretty decent. B- Always loved that Spear.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive