And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 24, 2013, 08:36:13 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:10:30 AM
The Wizard of Oz (1939).  A beautiful film that reminds us that we must never take our friends and family for granted, for death and pain may come at any moment.  The Wizard of Oz was made in a time when Americans had not yet become a race of effete weaklings, and knew that evil, whether it be a wicked witch or Nazism, understands only violence and must be conquered with righteous violence.  We knew this instinctively, and once our belief in civilization was so strong that even our little girls could crush and melt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse, just as in their millions our young women would do during the war to come, serving as the labor that built our command of the air and, ultimately, permitted the delivery of the atom bomb, killing thousands quickly to save millions from the long death of fascism and militarism.

I also really enjoyed how colorful it was, the special effects on the funnel cloud, and the songs.  And it's really funny!

A

Okay, I liked that review.

Me too, actually. :D
and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Yes, that's much more like it as a review.

Eddie Teach

Quotemelt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse,

So Dorothy's protestations to the contrary were a sham?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2013, 07:57:37 PM

So Languish wants a review that says nothing about the movie or even actual history?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 08:05:22 PM

So Languish wants a review that says nothing about the movie or even actual history?

He mentions WW2-era little girls crushing and melting our enemies.  Good enough for me, and even a little hot.

Certainly beats some of the 1,200-word esoteric and pretentious bullshit he's popped out before.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 08:05:22 PM

Doesn't it?  Wizard of Oz is a surprisingly violent film for what is considered kid's fare; as such, it is an artifact of its time.  A better time, when we believed in dropping things on people, and white phosphorous was to a Nazi's face as a bucket of water was to a witch.

I think I also mentioned the color.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Isn't kids fare still violent? Avatar the Last Airbender had genocide, a hundred year steampunk world war, secret police, torture, etc.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Never too early to get kids thinking about hurting people.  :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 24, 2013, 10:48:53 PM
Isn't kids fare still violent? Avatar the Last Airbender had genocide, a hundred year steampunk world war, secret police, torture, etc.

Only if your definition of "kids" = adolescent fucktards, since those films are PG-13 and PG, respectively.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2013, 11:00:24 PM

Only if your definition of "kids" = adolescent fucktards, since those films are PG-13 and PG, respectively.
:rolleyes: Avatar the Last Airbender was a cartoon show on Nickelodeon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417299/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Did Aang ever get sent on what was pretty explicitly a killing mission?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Also, does he ever bend the air in someone's lungs so they burst like an Israeli commuter's?
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Oh yeah, I got my extremely ill-advised purchases from Amazon today. :blush:  This Hitchcock set is really beautiful.  It's like a book with sleeve pages, ala the Indiana Jones or Stanley Kubrick sets, but the discs aren't jammed in there, again like Israeli commuters.  I thought the actual little book that comes in the box would be more worthwhile, though; it's not exactly a Criterion-grade collection of essays, but rather pretty fluffy, but I guess not nothing either.

Well, what's done is done.  It may be serving as my present to my dad this Christmas; although he's got all these on bootleg DVDs already, I've seen his copies of other movies, and suffice it to say they look like garbage, especially his B+W films.

I also got Invasion of the Body Snatchers '78, Carrie ('76, which goes, I hope, without saying), and Broken Arrow.

I'll just point out that the last one was $5. -_-
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Daytime TV gave Private Practice. That chick is so hot.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Kids shows are always over the top. What did Skeletor, Shredder, Megatron and crazy witch from Power Rangers want? Usually it was more evil than what Hitler wanted.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.