News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Due to being smarter than Superman, or really close.  Two gods killing hundreds of thousands as they clash is only interesting, like, four times max.

Seriously, Luthor plots are a bit more interesting because they involve subterfuge and an underdog story, as well as serving as vehicles for human qualities, most notably pride, greed, and envy as contrasted to purity, humility, and a commitment to egalitarianism despite obvious, massive differences in power.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:14:56 AM
Due to being smarter than Superman, or really close.  Two gods killing hundreds of thousands as they clash is only interesting, like, four times max.

Seriously, Luthor plots are a bit more interesting because they involve subterfuge and an underdog story, as well as serving as vehicles for human qualities, most notably pride, greed, and envy as contrasted to purity, humility, and a commitment to egalitarianism despite obvious, massive differences in power.
I have no opinion on whether Luthor plots are more interesting or not.
That Luther plots are so common and alien invasions should only happen every now and then only adds to my point that Zod makes for an odd start. A continuity should kick off with some examples of what will become standard fare, not what should be an amazing special event and a break from the norm.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

If you're worried about escalation, don't be, there are certainly more powerful villains for Superman to fight.

Solaris the Anti-Sun springs to mind, as does Mxyzptlk (though if he's ever in a movie I'll eat my hat), Mongul, Darkseid, and, above all, Brainiac.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Brainiac is about the only one I can think of who would make for a decent step up from Zod.  I've barely even heard of Solaris. Even B-list villains in the movies are iffy let alone such unknowns. The trouble with Braniac though is that to handle him in a movie-friendly way it would probally be more of the same to a large extent.

The world would be a wonderful place if Batman vs. Superman were to have Mxyzptlk  as the villain.....Alas it isn't going to happen in our modern times of gritty super heroes. Even a very dark Mxyzptlk wouldn't be done. :(
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:27:33 AM
If you're worried about escalation, don't be, there are certainly more powerful villains for Superman to fight.

Solaris the Anti-Sun springs to mind, as does Mxyzptlk (though if he's ever in a movie I'll eat my hat), Mongul, Darkseid, and, above all, Brainiac.
Nothing like Darkseid has ever come among you: Nothing will again. To say that anyone or anything is above Darkseid is the foulest of blasphemies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

Superman stories are always at their best when he is faced with moral and ethical dilemmas, not battles of brute strength.  He's been built up to be invulnerable (more or less, yes kryptonite, blah blah) and unbeatable on a physical level, the interest lies in when he cannot simply use that physical prowess to win out.  At least in my opinion.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Eddie Teach

They should make Cthulu a Superman villain.  :cthulu:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:10:30 AM
The Wizard of Oz (1939).  A beautiful film that reminds us that we must never take our friends and family for granted, for death and pain may come at any moment.  The Wizard of Oz was made in a time when Americans had not yet become a race of effete weaklings, and knew that evil, whether it be a wicked witch or Nazism, understands only violence and must be conquered with righteous violence.  We knew this instinctively, and once our belief in civilization was so strong that even our little girls could crush and melt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse, just as in their millions our young women would do during the war to come, serving as the labor that built our command of the air and, ultimately, permitted the delivery of the atom bomb, killing thousands quickly to save millions from the long death of fascism and militarism.

I also really enjoyed how colorful it was, the special effects on the funnel cloud, and the songs.  And it's really funny!

A

Going through a rough patch? :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Ideologue on October 24, 2013, 03:10:30 AM
The Wizard of Oz (1939).  A beautiful film that reminds us that we must never take our friends and family for granted, for death and pain may come at any moment.  The Wizard of Oz was made in a time when Americans had not yet become a race of effete weaklings, and knew that evil, whether it be a wicked witch or Nazism, understands only violence and must be conquered with righteous violence.  We knew this instinctively, and once our belief in civilization was so strong that even our little girls could crush and melt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse, just as in their millions our young women would do during the war to come, serving as the labor that built our command of the air and, ultimately, permitted the delivery of the atom bomb, killing thousands quickly to save millions from the long death of fascism and militarism.

I also really enjoyed how colorful it was, the special effects on the funnel cloud, and the songs.  And it's really funny!

A

Okay, I liked that review.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

My sister used to watch that movie every damn day.  :yuk:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

I've just watched a few recent episodes of the Simpsons, it has been a while since I last watched it.
One thing that I find interesting is that Smithers is now so very openly gay. I wander how much of this is standard character development from his start as merely Burnsexual through to the nods in that direction and now being just a gay guy and how much of it is societal development in the last 20-odd years.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on October 24, 2013, 10:18:50 AM
I've just watched a few recent episodes of the Simpsons, it has been a while since I last watched it.
One thing that I find interesting is that Smithers is now so very openly gay. I wander how much of this is standard character development from his start as merely Burnsexual through to the nods in that direction and now being just a gay guy and how much of it is societal development in the last 20-odd years.

Is he "openly" gay?  I agree the show once just teased it, and now makes it patently obvious, but it seems like Smithers is still in the closet.  Sure he goes to gay clubs, vacations at men-only resorts - but he's never admitted to anyone that he is gay.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Finally got around to seeing Shaun of the Dead.  That is one funny movie.

Queequeg

Debating if I should see Blue is the Warmest Color in theaters this weekend. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on October 24, 2013, 12:30:31 PM
Debating if I should see Blue is the Warmest Color in theaters this weekend.

OK Travis Bickle.  Why not bring a date?
Kinemalogue