garbon

Yesterday I watched:

Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Terminator Salvation
Prometheus
Valley of the Dolls

This cold is the worst.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

Scipio

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 23, 2013, 09:46:51 AM
Just because.

That was nice and exploitative.

I am shocked, shocked to find, etc., etc.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

I don't care, I'd exploit Annie in any number of ways.  Most of them legally questionable in any number of states.

crazy canuck

Watched the last episode of Blacklist - it has me mildly interested again.

lustindarkness

Yes, Blacklist still has me watching, getting predictable, but I am ok with that.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 09:50:45 AM
Yesterday I watched:

Terminator Salvation
Prometheus
Valley of the Dolls

This cold is the worst.

I dunno.  Did you get fired?  It might not be the worst.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on October 23, 2013, 01:20:59 PM
Yesterday I watched:

Terminator Salvation
Prometheus
Valley of the Dolls

This cold is the worst.

No instead, I just had people hitting me up all day to do work on my sick day.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 01:26:13 PM
Yesterday I watched:

Terminator Salvation
Prometheus
Valley of the Dolls

This cold is the worst.

Heh, you gotta love that.

Say you can't work because you are sick, or you are going on vacation, or whatever, and suddenly eight people decide your input is absoluely vital and when you said you can't work, surely that doesn't apply to them, your best buddies and faithful supporters ... ?  :lol:

Never fails.

Last time I was leaving town for a long weekend, one of these types was all "yeah, but you will be waiting in the airport for hours, surely you could review this contract ... for me?" Didn't work ... she was too low on the totem pole for me to kow-tow to that extent for. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on October 23, 2013, 02:51:34 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 23, 2013, 01:26:13 PM
Yesterday I watched:

Terminator Salvation
Prometheus
Valley of the Dolls

This cold is the worst.

Heh, you gotta love that.

Say you can't work because you are sick, or you are going on vacation, or whatever, and suddenly eight people decide your input is absoluely vital and when you said you can't work, surely that doesn't apply to them, your best buddies and faithful supporters ... ?  :lol:

Never fails.

Last time I was leaving town for a long weekend, one of these types was all "yeah, but you will be waiting in the airport for hours, surely you could review this contract ... for me?" Didn't work ... she was too low on the totem pole for me to kow-tow to that extent for. 

Yeah - my other favorite is that it also doesn't go both ways. Heaven forbid I try to contact them on their sick day or vacation. :D

I'll admit that yesterday I was selective and only did a few things as I was like god damn, I took a sick day because I'm only at 33% functionality. -_-

Savonarola

Plan 9 From Outer Space

Oh, Criswell, you will always be my favorite radio psychic. :wub:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on October 23, 2013, 03:28:55 PM
Plan 9 From Outer Space

:yeahright:  Isn't Plan 9 a little, shall we say, mainstream for your tastes?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 22, 2013, 01:44:47 PM
But whether, as Sav says, I should see these like operas is I think missing the point.  Operas have stories too.  That's why the Ring Cycle loses me when they move from the mythic realm of gods and incest to East Bumfuck, Lotharingen.

If you watch opera for the plot then you have missed the point.

Così fan tutte

While I agree with the central point that Mozart is attempting to make with this supposedly comical opera, that is that all women are whores and can never aspire to be anything else, the premise used is simply too fantastic to merit any serious consideration.  Mozart cannot really expect us, the audience, to believe that Fiordiligi and Dorabella are so incredibly stupid, that they do not display the slightest amount of suspicion when their fuck buddies are called off to war and two Albanian soldiers who are the spitting images to their fuck buddies, but with mustaches, simply show up and immediately try to bed them.  Even if we do accept the premise that the women are as horny as alley cats and as dumb as a bag full of hammers it still stretches any amount of credibility that they don't at least worry that Albanians would be chock full of venereal diseases.

I did, however, find the character of the philosopher Don Alfonso one of the most remarkably well thought out characters in the history of opera, in that his teaching, as he openly admits in song, will lead Guglielmo and Ferrando to unhappiness.  It is perhaps the only time in opera that it is fully acknowledged that the study of the humanities can lead only to misery.

D+
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on October 22, 2013, 07:42:29 PM
The Thief of Bagdad (1924). 

That's my favorite Douglas Fairbanks Sr. movie.  You might get some mileage out of Robin Hood; his interpretation of the outlaw is a little more... :unsure: merry :unsure: than most.