Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Hunger Games.
1- Better than it had any right to be.
2- When did young adult fiction become dystopian snuff-fests? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

It's not just you, though.  Lots of people like that movie.  I don't understand it, but there it is.

I think it's the worst big American film, well, pretty much ever. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2013, 08:40:24 PM

They've been reading up on their job prospects in the shareholder value economy.

Neil

You forgot to put your Hunger Games review on your website, Ide.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 04, 2013, 09:08:39 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2013, 08:40:24 PM

They've been reading up on their job prospects in the shareholder value economy.
Yeah, young people are starting to figure out what's in store for them and they're realizing that they might as well give up now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 04, 2013, 09:18:14 PM
You forgot to put your Hunger Games review on your website, Ide.

I'm waiting until a bit before Catching Fire in November.  I'll polish it and post it then, then do Catching Fire (I'm being shanghaied into seeing that anyway, and I concede I'm morbidly curious how it'll turn out).

I also want to do something with John Carter in association with The Hunger Games.  They came out within two weeks of each other.  One was vastly superior in every way.  The other was actually financially successful.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Yeah, I saw John Carter in a theatre with a dozen other people while the retards were packing it in to see the Hunger Games.

Teenage girls are the worst.

Ideologue

To protect them from exploitation, I propose that no person under 16 be allowed to purchase movies.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

I'm trying to develop a list reciting recent movies about class warfare, 2011 or later preferably, but 21st century is also fine.  I thought there were more, but surely I'm just forgetting them.  So far I've got:

Released in or after 2011:
In Time (2011)
Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
Pain & Gain (2013)
The Purge (2013)
This Is the End (2013) (rich people die a lot, anyway)
The East (2013) (I guess--I didn't seen it)
Blue Jasmine (2013)
Elysium (2013)
You're Next (2013)

Prior to 2011, 21st century:
There Will Be Blood (2007) (and only arguably)
Um...
Bulworth (1998; that's pretty close, right?)

Not counting mere instances of egregious corporate abuse, e.g. Inside Man, Moon, or Prometheus, especially since movies using the "shareholder value" trope are a dime a dozen (not counting Speed Racer either, although it arguably involves a class dimension to its conflict).  Also not counting movies where rich people being rich but it bears no particular thematic weight, e.g. The Great Gatsby (the movie) or Iron Man 3.  Likewise poor people just being poor.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Land of the Dead (2005)
Machete (2010)

The book "Oil" by Upton Sinclair on which "There will be blood" is loosely based (well, on one scene only, really), is much more focused on class warfare and tells a completely different, satirical story (the idealistic son caught between his capitalist father, the jet set Hollywood life and his communist activist friends in the 1920s).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 04, 2013, 06:20:44 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 03, 2013, 12:34:35 AM
So hey, they're going to make a World of Warcraft movie. They're shooting it in Vancouver too: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/08/world-of-warcraft-filming-vancouver/

If they shot this one near my house (like all the other movies that come to Vancouver and need forrest scenes) I will try to get you guys some pictures of the elven women.
:thumbsup:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Savonarola

Hypocrites (1915)

Early silent film directed by Lois Weber, one of America's first women directors.  It starts off with a preacher preaching against hypocrisy.  The congregation leaves and he has a dream, at first it's like Pilgrim's Progress where he and his congregation are climbing a  mountain.  Next it turns into the middle ages where the preacher is now a monk carving a statue of truth.  He unveils the statue, which turns out to be of a nude woman, and the townspeople (his congregation) beat him like a piñata.  The statue vanishes, and the rest of the film is about the seemingly righteous members of his congregation.  They'll be doing something, he and truth (a nude woman in a double exposure) appears, holds up a mirror and reveals them to be hypocrites.

Apparently it's hypocritical for a married couple to mourn their daughter's death if they own a sex manual.  FOR SHAME!  :mad:

Lois Weber was a moral crusader, and probably for that reason this managed to pass the National Board of Censors.  Even so, before the 1930s each state (and in some cases cities) had their own censorship board; so this film was banned in a number of states.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

The Grapes of Wrath on TCM.

Ide goes to California.

5 poors out of 6.2
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive