News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Good thing, cause I'd probably still be waiting for that review to load on dialup.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on August 28, 2013, 01:51:13 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 28, 2013, 01:49:51 AM
If I hadn't wanted to see the film before, I would now.
THIS IS NOT THE NINETIES.

You gotta admit, you share with that reviewer a fondness for using that particular critique.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Ivan the Terrible Parts I and II

Josef Stalin had Sergei Eisenstein to make a film about Stalin's personal role model, Ivan the Terrible.  The second part captured the essence of Ivan so well that it was banned for 12 years; for some reason the plot about assassination and secret police bothered Stalin.

Eisenstein never really left the silent era; his characters still mime out the action.  Since they can speak it makes their acting hammy and overblown.  The director constantly does extreme close ups of the faces, similar to "Passion of Joan of Arc;" a great technique in the silent era; in the sound era it's an opportunity for you to add your own lines.  The second part is so campy it verges on a Soviet Rocky Horror Picture Show; there's even a song and dance number at the end shot in glorious color (and with an entirely static camera so that the dancers keep disappearing from the frame.)

If this film had been directed by anyone else it would be forgotten, or derided as one of the excesses of Stalinist era cinema.  As it was made by the director of Battleship Potemkin it will live on forever.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on August 28, 2013, 01:33:09 AM
Charlie Sheen as Ghost Rider?  Weird.

But it's so much more than that.

Queequeg

Quote from: Savonarola on August 28, 2013, 02:45:55 PM

Josef Stalin had Sergei Eisenstein to make a film about Stalin's personal role model, Ivan the Terrible.  The second part captured the essence of Ivan so well that it was banned for 12 years; for some reason the plot about assassination and secret police bothered Stalin.

Eisenstein never really left the silent era; his characters still mime out the action.  Since they can speak it makes their acting hammy and overblown.  The director constantly does extreme close ups of the faces, similar to "Passion of Joan of Arc;" a great technique in the silent era; in the sound era it's an opportunity for you to add your own lines.  The second part is so campy it verges on a Soviet Rocky Horror Picture Show; there's even a song and dance number at the end shot in glorious color (and with an entirely static camera so that the dancers keep disappearing from the frame.)

If this film had been directed by anyone else it would be forgotten, or derided as one of the excesses of Stalinist era cinema.  As it was made by the director of Battleship Potemkin it will live on forever.
Did you watch any of the specials on the Criterion DVD?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

Woo, Pain & Gain and Gatsby came today. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sophie Scholl

Dredd finally hit netflix on demand, so I gave it a watch.  Well worth the wait.  I do hope they manage to gain enough grassroots support to put out another film or two.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Jacob

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 28, 2013, 01:54:30 AM
I hated Kick Ass. I hate young people.

GRADE: F

Aren't you related to several young people?  :ph34r:

Ideologue

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 29, 2013, 12:11:26 AM
Dredd finally hit netflix on demand, so I gave it a watch.  Well worth the wait.  I do hope they manage to gain enough grassroots support to put out another film or two.

Indeed.  I did my part and bought the movie a little while back.  It's very, very good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Getaway is at 0% on RT right now. :(

I expected it to wind up rotten, but even copasetic reviewers are giving it shit.  Worse, it may be entirely justified:

Quote from: William BibbianiDirector Courtney Solomon, he of the campy cult classic Dungeons & Dragons, chops his footage into a potpourri of explosions, squealing tires and disconcerted Hawke eyes, presenting constantly the idea that what we are seeing is cool, but rarely giving us the goods. Some of the car crashes are incredible, but what actually made them crash is left all too often to our imaginations. It looks for all the world like someone figured out all the complex physics and got actual cars to do pretty amazing things, but it also looks like the filmmakers did everything in their power to cut around it. My kingdom for a shot that lasts more than three seconds.

That's a wound to the heart.

I'll see tomorrow, but I am going to be 100% bummed if this is accurate.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Quotecampy cult classic Dungeons & Dragons

Nothing cult nor classic about that abortion of a movie.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

It was thirteen years ago.  He's served his time.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on August 28, 2013, 02:45:55 PM

Is it more accurately translated to Awesome, as in the biblical sense? Fearsome and Formidable are also better translations, so I've read.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

He was like or unto a grozn.
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on August 29, 2013, 12:51:58 AM
Getaway is at 0% on RT right now. :(

I expected it to wind up rotten, but even copasetic reviewers are giving it shit.  Worse, it may be entirely justified:

You are under suspicion <_<
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point