And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Sure, I misspelled it, but what were the odds of you catching that? ^_^
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on August 29, 2013, 12:53:00 AM
Quotecampy cult classic Dungeons & Dragons

Nothing cult nor classic about that abortion of a movie.
Yeah.  Nothing was good about that movie. The direct to video sucktastic sequel was better.

Dredd was surprisingly watchable.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I actually enjoyed Dredd very much.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

I liked the Stallone version better. And Diane Lane. :perv:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 29, 2013, 10:02:13 AM
I liked the Stallone version better. And Diane Lane. :perv:

You mean Armand Assante.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

There were things that I liked about the Stallone version, mostly for laughs.  The protagonist and antagonist clearly had a good time chewing up the the scenery, and the effectswork that went into making Stallone tower over everyone else.  I also found the religious behavior of lawyers to be quite plausible.

Dredd, on the other hand, was just good.  I enjoyed all of it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I watched Goodfellas last night before I went to bed.  I have the whole soundtrack stuck in my head now and I got tempted to go all Pesci on some dumb chick on a conference call this morning.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Gung Ho.  American auto factory gets taken over by Japs in the 80's.  Michael Keaton lands job of liaison between workaholic jack-jumping Japanese management team and beer guzzling American workers.  Hilarities ensue, followed by poignant lesson about team work.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:30:32 PM
Gung Ho.  American auto factory gets taken over by Japs in the 80's.  Michael Keaton lands job of liaison between workaholic jack-jumping Japanese management team and beer guzzling American workers.  Hilarities ensue, followed by poignant lesson about team work.

That was a great movie.  Thanks for making me feel old

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on August 28, 2013, 06:32:31 PM
Did you watch any of the specials on the Criterion DVD?

I didn't have the Criterion DVD; is it worth hunting down?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 29, 2013, 01:39:21 AM
Is it more accurately translated to Awesome, as in the biblical sense? Fearsome and Formidable are also better translations, so I've read.

Yes, but "Terrible" can be used in English in that sense as well like "I am Oz the great and terrible."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 29, 2013, 02:49:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 02:30:32 PM

That was a great movie.  Thanks for making me feel old

The first film you got to see in theaters with senior citizens discount?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Savonarola

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo

The Dumas classic gets the anime treatment in this series.  The problem with film adaptations of The Count of Monte Cristo is the strongest part is the jail break in the very first part of the book and the revenge drags out.  This series "Solves" that problem by starting when the Count meets Franz and Albert in Rome (or Luna 5 in this, the work is set 3000 years in the future) and focusing on the young squires rather than the count.  It makes the story a soap opera where the Count is his own evil twin.  It did follow the book surprisingly closely at the beginning. I was curious to see how they were going to do Eugénie and her piano teacher; but she didn't have an on-screen teacher and really loved Albert after all.

The ending is quite different than the book.  Like any good episode of Yu-Gi-Oh friendship saves the day at the end; and even the most diabolical of villains can be overcome with a hug.   :)