And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2013, 10:56:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2013, 08:48:46 AM
McDonalds employees allowing their bfs to rape people because someone on a prank call told them to? Not so much.

Or, if you decide to drop the McD's-counsel-of-record-thing, "investigating an employee theft." :P

I agree that if Summers and Nix set up a rape dungeon that happened to be in the back of the former's McDonald's, it's a less clearly cut issue as to whether they'd be McIntentional Torts.

Forcing an employee to give BJs is an investigative technique now?

Don't tell the cops, or everyone will want to be one.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

I liked this from the Guardian:
QuoteFreddie Mercury, the PG version, and other family-friendly celeb biopics
Sacha Baron Cohen has fallen out with Queen over a proposed warts-and-all biopic of the late singer. We imagine how some other cleaned-up portrayals might pan out

The actor Sacha Baron Cohen has backed away from playing Freddie Mercury in a feature-length biopic, apparently after falling out with surviving members of the band Queen. According to the website Deadline, Baron Cohen was keen to star in a warts-and-all, R-rated portrayal of the singer, while Mercury's former band mates Brian May and Roger Taylor are insisting on a rather more family-friendly – and, one imagines, considerably shorter – PG version.

The whole project is now in doubt, but what if May and Taylor get their way? Could the family-friendly, PG biopic become the industry standard? Who else's life might be ripe for reassessment?

Keith Richards: Cheaper by the Dozen

Johnny Depp stars in this heartwarming, carefully re-edited biopic (originally titled Keith Richards: Cheaper by the Kilo) about one befuddled father's struggle to look after his extended family while playing in the world's biggest rock band.

Breaking Good: The Miguel Angel Treviño Morales Story

The life story of the recently captured Zeta cartel kingpin, which focuses largely on his leadership skills and work for charity, and deliberately downplays his habit of cutting out his enemies' hearts.

Charlie Sheen, Torpedo of Truth

This self-financed autobiographical film traces the highly paid Hollywood star's tireless crusade to get to the bottom of what really happened on 9/11. Originally part of a longer work, this all-audiences "director's cut" now consists of 15 minutes of Sheen asleep in the back of a taxi.

Caligula & Friends

Short animated comedy about a wacky Roman emperor, his fun-loving sisters and the talking horse he has appointed consul.

Phil Spector: Thank You For The Music

Detailed drama, based on a true story, about Spector's long career as a producer, the innovative sound he developed, and how much his efforts were appreciated by absolutely everyone who worked with him.

Medea: Single Mum

Uplifting story of a struggling ancient Greek single mother trying to raise her two sons as best she can. Some scenes missing in PG version.
Let's bomb Russia!

lustindarkness

There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

QuoteMedea: Single Mum

Uplifting story of a struggling ancient Greek single mother trying to raise her two sons as best she can. Some scenes missing in PG version.

:D

That's basically the gist of the Medea story as told in Never On Sunday

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_on_Sunday
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 23, 2013, 02:03:31 PM
There seems to be a good modern day western I have missed or it was not as good as it seems and I don't remember it. :unsure: I'll have to watch it.

Unforgiven (1992), Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Unforgiven is excellent.  :)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Darth Wagtaros

I liked this season of Venture Bros. but I think that given the production time there could have been 4 more episodes.
PDH!

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 23, 2013, 03:19:20 PM
I liked this season of Venture Bros. but I think that given the production time there could have been 4 more episodes.

Yeah.  It's clear that it got cut in half, or that they didn't have space, or something.  I mean, it's always an enjoyable program, but it's easily the weakest season, at least, so far.

Why it takes so long to get there and why it's over so quickly are questions that really need to be leveled at CN, if not Publick and Hammer themselves.  Is it a popularity thing?  A cost/benefit thing?  Certainly two years between tiny seasons is no way to make the show more popular or give up a higher ROI.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Drakken

Where have you been hiding these last twenty years? Unforgiven is a classic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2013, 12:21:27 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2013, 10:56:58 AM
Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2013, 08:48:46 AM
McDonalds employees allowing their bfs to rape people because someone on a prank call told them to? Not so much.

Or, if you decide to drop the McD's-counsel-of-record-thing, "investigating an employee theft." :P

I agree that if Summers and Nix set up a rape dungeon that happened to be in the back of the former's McDonald's, it's a less clearly cut issue as to whether they'd be McIntentional Torts.

Forcing an employee to give BJs is an investigative technique now?

Don't tell the cops, or everyone will want to be one.  :D

No kidding.  Gotta learn that trick.

11B4V

Quote from: Drakken on July 23, 2013, 04:01:49 PM

Where have you been hiding these last twenty years? Unforgiven is a classic.

+1 Solid A
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

dps

Quote from: Malthus on July 23, 2013, 08:52:25 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 22, 2013, 06:02:30 PM
They let this happen 45 times without even warning employees?

They had 45 prank calls, all over the country. This was, as far as I know, the only one resulting in such extreme behaviour.

Nationwide, they probably have 45 prank calls a day.  Granted, most of those are going to be of the "Do you have Prince Albert in a can" type, but still.

QuoteIt is easy to see why this issue didn't rise to corporate conciousness. There must be thousands of McD's in the US. A bunch of idiotic prank calls isn't high on the radar until something like this happens.

Also, many of those McD's are going to be franchised, not company-owned.  So even when something happens that gets the courts involved, if it's the franchise owner, not corporate that's involved, the company itself might not be aware of the instances.

katmai

With it being 150th Anniversary, watched the Extended 270+ min version of Gettysburg.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on July 24, 2013, 06:38:02 AM
With it being 150th Anniversary, watched the Extended 270+ min version of Gettysburg.

Nice.  I don't remember how long it was when it was shown in the theaters, but I do remember that it was a bad idea for my dad and I to go at 10:00pm on work and school nights, respectively. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Re-watched most of Elizabeth: Can I Be the Golden Age last night.  Overall it was better than i remembered, but the historical inaccuracies about the sea fighting really irked me.

Ideologue

Finally got a chance to watch Cloverfield (2007).  A vomit-inducing journey into the lifestyles of the rich and garbonesque that takes a little too long to get going, and ends five minutes too late (just die in the helicopter crash already, it's not like the actual ending is any less ambiguous).  Nevertheless, it's 100% more of a kaiju film than Pacific Rim.  Only issue is that it's about 75% as watchable.  I had to turn it off in the middle, take a nap, and finish up later.  Still a little sick.  I liked the concept far more than what I actually saw.  C, but if you have no inner ear function it's a total B+
Kinemalogue