News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on July 25, 2013, 06:38:23 AM
Bad reviews were right and he gives it a C+?!?!?

It's not overlong, not boring, is shot and scored very well, and has some cool deaths.  It's not good, but neither is it terrible.  I mean, would I rather watch this, or After Earth or The Lone Ranger?  This, absolutely.  It's a low C+, I guess, but it earned the plus.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on July 24, 2013, 10:52:20 PM
For once, Netflix Instant Watch is not total garbage and had a movie I specifically wanted to see.  In this instance, I wanted to catch up with 2011 with Refn's Drive before I watched Only God Forgives, which MB reminded me exists and whose bad reviews still make it sound fucking radical.

B+ for Drive, btw.  I loved the 70s pacing without the 70s lack of content, the couple of neat car chases, Gosling's quiet performance, Mulligan's extravagant hotness, Brooks' portrayal against type, most of the music despite some questionable choices, and the ultra violence.  But to quote The Lone Ranger, what's with the mask?

Drive was boring as fuck.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that 70s crime-and-car-chase movies are not your thing, then.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

I enjoyed Drive quite a bit, but I would struggle to give it anything higher than a low B.  It is ultimately a somewhat empty movie with little in the way of heft.  It has magnificent scenery, some excellent dialogue when the characters actually speak and a tremendous amount of tension in a few, specific scenes.  I think the parts are significantly greater than the whole, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on July 25, 2013, 12:32:48 PM
I enjoyed Drive quite a bit, but I would struggle to give it anything higher than a low B.  It is ultimately a somewhat empty movie with little in the way of heft.  It has magnificent scenery, some excellent dialogue when the characters actually speak and a tremendous amount of tension in a few, specific scenes.  I think the parts are significantly greater than the whole, though.

It's a formalist film; an "art" film. If that's the expectation, it clearly succeeds on almost all levels. If one expects a Hollywood-style movie, I can imagine it could be seen as less of a success.
and the horse you rode in on

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Habbaku

Quote from: fhdz on July 25, 2013, 12:34:22 PM

It's a formalist film; an "art" film. If that's the expectation, it clearly succeeds on almost all levels. If one expects a Hollywood-style movie, I can imagine it could be seen as less of a success.

:yes:  Which is why I enjoyed it as much as I did, I suspect.  I'm a sucker for films like it...but I can't help but want more.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Fair enough.  How well you'll like Drive is dependent on how many silent scenes of moodiness you like to see.  I like, probably, a higher than average number.  Not so many as Only God Forgives has to offer, sure.

But I thought Drive compared very favorably to, say, Bullitt, in terms of content to padding mood.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Wife rented Spring Breakers thinking I would enjoy it. I DID NOT.

What a horrid piece of shit. James Franco can kiss my rosy red ass.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 25, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

But... former Disney girls gone wild! :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 25, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 25, 2013, 02:05:51 PM

But... former Disney girls gone wild! :lol:

There was some piss poor trigger disipline in the movie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Underworld Awakening is on tonight. Charles Dance is awesome.

Also, Kate Beckinsale turns 40 tomorrow. Props to her for remaining hot as hell.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 25, 2013, 10:53:38 PM
Also, Kate Beckinsale turns 40 tomorrow. Props to her for remaining hot as hell.

No joke.

Sophie Scholl

I was pretty impressed with Teri Polo (Ben Stiller's wife from the "Meet The..." movies) last night on The Late Late Show.  She's over 40 now with a kid and I'd still do awful things with her. :perv:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."