News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on July 27, 2013, 11:15:50 AM
Yeah, the last twenty years haven't been very good for Wolverine.  He used to be cool, but power creep has stripped him of tension.
I'll be seeing that tomorrow, only because a friend is so desperate to escape the confines of family life that he's paying for my ticket.  Most movies are crap.
PDH!

Ideologue

It's not hateable, unless you're really easily offended by innocuous cultural appropriation of a fellow First World country's shibboleths (and you shouldn't be because Japan does it all the time, with 1000% more ignorance).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

I was watching Morse and Morse died.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

The Wolverine. I guess I'd give it a C+ or B.  Wasn't terrible, I guess.  Better than the Weapon X movie, but not really as good as those produced by Marvel itself rather than Sony. 

The promo for the next movie though looks interesting.
PDH!

Josephus

Primer....probably the most confusing film on time travel ever made

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2013, 11:11:57 AM

Confusing? It was the first one to make any sense and the first one that didn't set up time travel as travel to a different place, but rather travel in a different direction in time.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Quote from: Viking on July 28, 2013, 12:23:34 PM

Confusing? It was the first one to make any sense and the first one that didn't set up time travel as travel to a different place, but rather travel in a different direction in time.

Esquire magazine noted that "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Primer was really cool. I need to watch it again.

But yeah, it is confusing and it's easy to lose track of how and what is happening. Luckily the internet is full of liars (and a few savants)  :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on July 28, 2013, 02:33:41 PM
Primer was really cool. I need to watch it again.

But yeah, it is confusing and it's easy to lose track of how and what is happening. Luckily the internet is full of liars (and a few savants)  :P

Heh, had to watch it 3 times in one day just to wrap the noodle around it.

CountDeMoney

Project X.  Project Stupid.

Viking

Quote from: Josephus on July 28, 2013, 02:04:29 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 28, 2013, 12:23:34 PM

Esquire magazine noted that "anybody who claims he fully understands what's going on in Primer after seeing it just once is either a savant or a liar."

I know that, whoever wrote that hasn't thought about time travel and what effect it would have. It's hard to follow the nesting threads of time travel and to understand the motivations of the characters, but the time travel bit makes sense.

The movie establishes the time travel mechanism, then establishes a conflict between the two characters, the protagonist decides to time travel to resolve the issue and after he does that the audience realizes that the other character already did that first.

"Primer" is right up there with "In the Company of Men" as the two best movies I have watched that normal people haven't. You don't need to be a savant to understand it and I certainly am not a liar (I would say that wouldn't I?).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

I've started watching a French tv series called revanants. Was told it was  a zombie show. It isn't. Seems interesting anyway. A bunch of dead people in a small town randomly reappear. People freak out. Pretty classy production values
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It was shown on Channel 4. I only caught the first episode live but all the adverts were French language too. It was pretty cool :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

The Way, Way Back.  Sam Rockwell as the man child mentor to kid loser Liam James is phenomenal.  Saw it with a shitty crowd with a poorly calibrated sense of humor, though.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Hillary Clinton Miniseries in the Works

(Newser) – Hillary Clinton may not be in office at the moment, but expect to see a lot of her—albeit in fictionalized form. Along with an upcoming biopic, a television miniseries is on its way, Vulture reports. The NBC show will star Diane Lane, and it will cover "Clinton's life as a wife, mother, politician, and Cabinet member from 1998 to the present," the network says. "The script will begin with Clinton living in the White House" during Bill Clinton's second term. Network boss Bob Greenblatt suggests the show could run before Clinton, hypothetically, does.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".