Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

House was painfully formulaic.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

That is true, but then nearly all network dramas are.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Pacific Rim, a primer: an interdimensional rift has opened beneath the Pacific Ocean. From it emerge monsters!

In response to the monsters, we fly F-22s directly into their faces. When this tactic somehow fails, immense humanoid machines called Jaegers are built to punch the monsters instead. This is apparently very expensive, so the Jaeger program is wound down in favor of a plan devised by Roger Waters, and walls are built around the entire coastline of the Pacific Ocean. Fortunately, Norway is on the Atlantic. Unfortunately, the walls are hilariously ineffective, and I'm sad I used up the one "Darmok" reference the law allows me to make per year on The Purge. With the walls crumbling, cities dying, and Earth's forces unable to compete with increasingly frequent monster raids, the Jaegers prepare an all-out offensive to close the rift, based upon multiple viewings of Ghostbusters and at least one sit-through of The Avengers.

So.  You can see that it took a lot of effort to fuck this up.

The short version is it's lame.  The longer version:  Too close for missiles, switching to giant robots

What a weak blockbuster season this has been, huh?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

I agree with you Ide on that much.  Not a lot of good movies this season.

I was interested in Pacific Rim because of the director, but it looks bad.

PDH!

Admiral Yi

Caught about 10 minutes of that cable series about the news.  Apparently its purpose is air the political rants that Sorkin wasn't allowed to in West Wing.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 11, 2013, 01:00:33 PM
House was painfully formulaic.

Catching up on this thread:

#1:  By Christ, Ide has a blog,

#2:  With apologies to HVC, being "hooked on Vicodin" might make sense to your average TV demographic, but it's pure fantasy BS to anyone in the know.  Doctors get hooked on fucking IV hydromorphone (Dilaudid), pure oxycodone (e.g. Oxycontin), oxymorphone (Opana) or fentanyl patches, not shitty Vicodin (5, 7.5 or 10mg hydrocodone with 500mg tylenol packed in every pill).  MAH SAD DOCTOR WITH SUCH CYNICAL WIT AND A TRAGIC DRUGS HABIT
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

How the fuck do you know so much about drugs Capetano?

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
How the fuck do you know so much about drugs Capetano?

1) I have a thirst for knowledge.
2) Drugs interest me.
3) I take prescription medication. (General familiarity with pharmaceuticals.)
4) It's relevant to my line of work. (And I've learned quite a bit from my clients.  On tar heroin vs powder, alone, I could write 2000 words.  I was the only person in a NYC criminal courtroom last fall who knew what fucking Suboxone was, fer Christ's sake.)
5) I have friends who've been druggies./I've lived around (and with) druggies.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Neil

Ide's blog brightens my day, even though his last review mentioned air warfare in a positive manner.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Mihali is a pill popper Yip.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2013, 03:17:51 PM
Mihali is a pill popper Yip.

Not every pill popper knows the correct dosage for frangimeticyclone.

katmai

He takes his addiction seriously
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

garbon

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Even I don't really recall the dosages of what I used to take regularly.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Well fucking fine.  :mad:  I'm a pill-gobbling maniac who can tell you all about Dexedrine spansules, when and exactly how Quaaludes got taken off the market, C.J. Rehnquist's addiction to Placidyl, red devils, yellow jackets, blues, green meanies, christmas trees, "doors and fours" (Doriden + Tylenol 4 [w/ 60mg codeine]), black and whites, black beauties, Valium Ativan Klonopin Xanax tombstones + footballs, Restoril Ambien Sonata Lunesta, Vicodin Percocet Darvon Demerol T3s Opana Roxies MSContin Duragesic patches (fentanyl), "sizzurp" (codeine+promethazine cough syrup), blues' (Valium in the UK), blues'' (roxies in the US w/o the anti-abuse mechanisms), Ritalin Adderall Focalin Vyvanse Concerta Desoxyn (methamphetamine), and if you're in the joint well fuck, Seroquel to snooze and Remeron to snooze more, Lyrica (CV for US narcotic laws), Tramadol, Soma, Flexeril, tizianidine, Fioricet (+ or - codeine); plus the bath salts and research chems: MDPV, methoxetamine, etizolam, ethyphenidate, mephedrone, methcathinone (ultimately derived from the khat plant, or at least its chemical structure), JWH-018 ("Spice"), JWH-XXX to infinity, butyl nitrate (poppers since amyl was banned), and on and on it goes; never mind, of course, your "abuse"-less Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, Nardil, Pamelor, Pristiq, Lexapro, Effexor, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Strattera, Depakote, Tegretrol, Lamictal, Trazodone..........

Viking

Quote from: katmai on July 12, 2013, 03:23:20 PM

Whatever you do, do it with excellence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.