News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 11:26:34 PM
The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

Yeah...vaguely remember this.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2013, 04:56:46 AM
The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

You at least get Scarlett Johansson playing a naughty teenager. That's always a plus.

See I don't even remember that...and I'm all about Scarlett playing naughty teenagers.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on July 08, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 08, 2013, 04:56:46 AM

You at least get Scarlett Johansson playing a naughty teenager. That's always a plus.

See I don't even remember that...and I'm all about Scarlett playing naughty teenagers.

Josephus

Just got a cramp in my right wrist.

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 12:04:59 AM
I'm kinda bummed that the Venture Brothers season is going to be only 8 episodes.
It is? WTF

Yep.  I guess they are splitting their season over two years.

Fucking ugh.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2013, 03:45:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 12:04:59 AM
I'm kinda bummed that the Venture Brothers season is going to be only 8 episodes.
It is? WTF

Yep.  I guess they are splitting their season over two years.

Is this the Breaking Bad practice of pissing me off?  ;)

Double ugh.  I bought the "fifth season" on an impulse, without looking very closely at.  $40 for eight episodes? :rolleyes:

Anyway, The Two Jakes (1990).  It's so rare that a sequel this distant in time captures the mood, aesthetic, and characters of the original this well, that I'm almost more impressed with The Two Jakes doing Chinatown than I am with Chinatown being Chinatown.

I really liked:

1)The scene where Jake Gittes makes the cop suck his gun and the cop pisses himself.  It's awesome.
2)A young Madeleine Stowe being told to "Put [her] ass in the air and [not to] move until I say so." :perv:
3)The part where Gittes blows himself up.  LOL.
4)OMG KATHERINE MULWRAY.
5)Did I spy Bob from Batman?  Yes!  He's my... numberoneguy.
6)The 70s look to the filmstock, etc.  Nice touch.
7)I was originally going to watch The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly again to finish off the Man With No Name trilogy (I watched For a Few Dollars More the other night--it's very good), but I wanted to send The Two Jakes back to Netflix, so I watched this instead.  Surprise!  Eli Wallach.  Not that you'd ever know if you're largely familiar with Wallach from Magnificent Seven and GBU (and if you're also illiterate, I suppose).
8)The hardboiled narration.

I did not like:

1)The incredibly shitty editing on the golf course, where it almost looks like two versions of the same exchange were filmed with different scripts, and both were left in.  To paraphrase:  Shot 1--"Let's make it $20 a hole?"  "Knock it the fuck off.  We're here to talk about your wife."  Shot 2--"My handicap's 14."  "Mine's 9."  "$20 a hole?"  "Sure."  Compounding this is the fact that I'm pretty sure Gittes said he a handicap of 6 earlier, but maybe I'm misremembering.  Christ. :lol:
2)Whatever Jack Nicholson was telling Harvey Keitel to do at the beginning.  I mean the director and the actor, but I could as easily mean Gittes and Berman.  I understand it's scripted, and obviously Berman is meditating a murder here, but that monotone was a bad in-universe decision and a bad directing decision.  I thought for a minute Roy Dotrice was reprising his role from Saturn 3.  WTF.
3)The hardboiled narration.

It's possible I'm grading this on an easier curve than Chinatown, which has the weight of being an AFI 100 film and on a lot of people's top tens, which is a burden of expectations I don't think it quite lives up to despite being extremely good and arguably great.  But I think the films are more than just comparable; I expect The Two Jakes is only considered significantly lesser by vice of being a bit of a retread, and being by a director who wasn't Polanski, and perhaps by the stigma of its production troubles--critics love a difficult failure.  It's not exactly as good as its predecessor, I suppose, but it's a more than worthy effort.  I can't imagine why it's been largely forgotten, and derided when it's remembered.  It's a very good movie.

B+
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

This Is the End (2013).  Fucking great, I think my fourth favorite movie of the year so far.  So very funny throughout, featuring three virtually perfect comedic scenes, namely Michael Cera's embarrassment early on, Danny McBride and James Franco's conversation regarding semen disposition, and a discussion about the possibility of gangraping Emma Watson.  Every inch an A.
Kinemalogue

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 12:41:56 AM
This Is the End (2013).  Fucking great, I think my fourth favorite movie of the year so far.  So very funny throughout, featuring three virtually perfect comedic scenes, namely Michael Cera's embarrassment early on, Danny McBride and James Franco's conversation regarding semen disposition, and a discussion about the possibility of gangraping Emma Watson.  Every inch an A.

Broken Clock, etc....
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 12:41:56 AM
This is like your third fourth favorite movie of the year so far.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

No it isn't.  I said Pain & Gain was my favorite, but was then displaced by Gatsby.  It's still number two.  My third favorite was Oblivion, which was displaced by Europa Report.  Oblivion didn't stay in fourth place.

It is the fourth movie, however, that I've given an A or higher out of the seventeen movies released in 2013 that I've seen so far.

Longer write-up:

Six words seldom heard: I want to be Michael Cera

Edit: meant Oblivion, not Man of Steel.  Maybe you're right. :lol:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Of course feel free to bring it up again when I no doubt rearrange rankings after seeing Pacific Rim Thursday. :D
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 10, 2013, 04:07:54 AM
No it isn't.  I said Pain & Gain was my favorite, but was then displaced by Gatsby.  It's still number two.  My third favorite was Oblivion, which was displaced by Europa Report.  Oblivion didn't stay in fourth place.

It is the fourth movie, however, that I've given an A or higher out of the seventeen movies released in 2013 that I've seen so far.

Longer write-up:

Six words seldom heard: I want to be Michael Cera

Edit: meant Oblivion, not Man of Steel.  Maybe you're right. :lol:

Industry: Law :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Gang rape jokes? :bleeding:

Also a blog has been spawned? :bleeding:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

I like Ide's blog.  Haters are faggots.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.