News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2013, 02:16:41 PM
Just picked up the blue ray of this on the way into work.  :)

You should take that back for a refund..

.. someone's driven over the tin.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 02:18:55 PM
Watched most of a Chink flick last night about college students plotting to assassinate a collaborator with the Japanese. "Lust, Love" or something like that.

Out of all Asian people, I think the Chinese have the best taste in female movie stars.

Lust, Caution?

I've started watching Boardwalk Empire. Really enjoying it so far.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Lust, Caution?

That's the ticket.

Another observation: Chinese women look great with 1930s hair and clothes.  They should do that all the time.

frunk

Dabangg 2 - If Zack Snyder spoke Hindi and was a bigger fan of musical theater he could have made this movie, except it wouldn't be nearly as great.  Salman Khan stars as Chulbul P. Pandey, supercop recently transferred to Kanpur.  Calling Pandey a supercop is probably a misnomer, since he is better described as an avatar of justice or a vengeance god.  The opening scene features Pandey crashing a jeep into a factory held by kidnappers, leaping out and landing on top of a suspended car, causing it to fall.  He proceeds to beat the crap out of the kidnappers in Snydery over the top fashion, while advising the kidnapped kid to be sure to enjoy the show.  The father of the kidnapped arrives at the factory after the fight, only to be shamed by Pandey (and the assembled crowd) to donate the ransom money to Pandey's personal charity for social justice or something.  Scenes like that make it difficult to tell exactly why Pandey is so great.

The main plot is about Baccha Bhaiya, a corrupt politician, and his two brothers who control Kanpur.  Only about a third of the movie actually deals with that thread.  The movie is two hours long, and is padded with a large cast and several musical numbers.  Other elements filling up time is the non-riddle that befuddles Pandey's simpleton brother for half the movie, Pandey's wife getting pregnant and keeping it secret from her, Pandey torturing his father about his deceased mother and the clumsiest product placements I've ever seen.

There are two standout scenes in a movie filled with ridiculous moments and over the top stupidity.  The first is at a wedding where one of Baccha's brothers has threatened the bride with kidnapping her if she gets married.  Pandey arrives, and after a period of bluster casually breaks the neck of Baccha's brother in front of all the guests at the wedding.  This is after a previous scene where he shoots and kills several criminals and avoids getting into trouble for their deaths by claiming that they killed each other.  Of course there's plenty of wailing about Pandey killing Baccha's brother, but the net result is that Baccha is forced by public outrage to apologize for his brother's actions at the wedding and to praise Pandey for being judge, jury and executioner.

The second standout scene is after it is discovered that Pandey's brother is a wizard at conducting witness interviews.  This development is completely out of the blue, and followed the brother's wife showing up for a visit and him figuring out the non-riddle riddle (apparently he just needed to get laid).  To celebrate the brother's new found competence at anything they decide to go to a brothel.  At the brothel one of the women starts a song (which everybody joins) about men taking her picture and sticking it on their heart with glue.  So...prostitute singing a song about men gluing her picture to their chest with some unnamed sticky substance.  This scene is never mentioned afterward, and there isn't any indication that either married Pandey brother is unhappy in their relationships.

Recommended for anyone who wants to see quality cinema but doesn't know what it is.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 02:26:35 PM
Another observation: Chinese women look great with 1930s hair and clothes.  They should do that all the time.

:sagely TopCat nod:

Eddie Teach

Say what you will about Snyder, at least he didn't include musical numbers.  :yuk:

frunk

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 04:05:21 PM
Say what you will about Snyder, at least he didn't include musical numbers.  :yuk:

Did you see Sucker Punch?

Eddie Teach

Were there musical numbers? I was too distracted by Miss Browning.    :blush:

Liep

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 05:16:45 PM

That's all I remember too.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

frunk

The fantasy sequences were music videos with about as much depth as any Bollywood dance sequence.

Eddie Teach

Music playing in background > music coming out of character's mouths

Admiral Yi

The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on July 07, 2013, 05:19:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 05:16:45 PM

That's all I remember too.

That naughty, naughty little girl.  So naughty.

edit:  and all her naughty, naughty little friends.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Lust, Caution?

That's the ticket.

To be fair every looks better dressed up from that period.  People dressed better back then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 11:26:34 PM
The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

Yep.  Easily their worst film.  The trouble with making a movie in which the protagonist doesn't really drive the action is...what you see.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien