Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 02:40:06 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2013, 01:01:18 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2013, 08:47:04 PM
I'll let you know how Lone Ranger is, dude.

BREAKING: it was lame.

:( :( :mad: :mad:

I just knew Disney would fuck it up.

More like Gore Verblinski, who is a dull and rather inept filmmaker, financial success notwithstanding.  Disney is a big ol' company, anyway.  They put out of a ton of great stuff, and even under the castle banner, things have been fine when they lucked into hiring a hypercompetent auteur like Joe Kosinski (and thanks to God from the Polish people for Gore V. not being the only high-budget filmmaker whose name ends in "ski").  Bruckheimer is the more blameworthy party here, because he should have known better.

The problem with Disney is that it can only follow the money, so not knowing better they gave the Pirates director a ton of it: and a better Lone Ranger movie could have been made with half, if not a tenth, of the pile of cash he burned to make this semi-turd of a film.

It's pissing me off more the more I think about, what a completely wasted opportunity it was.  The skeleton of an excellent film is there, and I've already refilmed a good quarter-hour of key scenes' worth in my head, which is what I expect a few ten million people are going to be spending their idle minutes doing this weekend.  But they probably needed another director and definitely--direly--needed a punch-up writer.  Some kind of Whedonesque figure could have saved The Lone Ranger, but the call was never raised.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

The Lone Ranger is a pretty stiff and white bread character.  I'm not sure how you could turn it into a good movie.

CountDeMoney

Quoteeffete East Coast elite principles

Define and explain.

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 01:02:57 PM
The Lone Ranger is a pretty stiff and white bread character.  I'm not sure how you could turn it into a good movie.

You could have him played by Tom Cruise. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Dark Knight-ize him.  Give him a troubled backstory and conflicting motivations.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on July 03, 2013, 01:09:30 PM
Dark Knight-ize him.  Give him a troubled backstory and conflicting motivations.

And have him shoot the shit out of some quasi-innocent people?  I could see that.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 01:06:01 PM
Quoteeffete East Coast elite principles

Define and explain.

It's alliterative.

:p

Adherence to naive belief in the efficacy
Of Lockean principles (name checked here)
in a Hobbesian world.
Inability to abandon due process, when due process is boring and lame.
Too much law school.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2013, 02:45:13 PM
Adherence to naive belief in the efficacy
Of Lockean principles (name checked here)
in a Hobbesian world.
Inability to abandon due process, when due process is boring and lame.
Too much law school.

Wilsonhater.   :mad:

Ideologue

Give him basic competence and maybe a hint of masculinity. Also helpful.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2013, 02:49:40 PM

Make him more pro-active and in your face, a hip-hop surfer. And rastafari him about 10%.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Just finished Hannibal. Who would've thought Mads Mikkelsen would end up being a creepier and more vicious version of Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins? Great season all around.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

I just wish he would enunciate more. Kinda hard to understand him at times.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

I guess I'm used to the accent.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on July 04, 2013, 04:47:56 PM
Just finished Hannibal. Who would've thought Mads Mikkelsen would end up being a creepier and more vicious version of Hannibal than Anthony Hopkins? Great season all around.

Yeah, he totally blew away that role.  Fantastic job.  And as vicious as he is, his mindfucks are just as incredibly subtle.
I don't keep track of television awards, but he's earned his share.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on July 03, 2013, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 03, 2013, 02:49:40 PM

Make him more pro-active and in your face

I enjoy the reference, but yes, exactly that.
Kinemalogue