Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2013, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Lust, Caution?

That's the ticket.

Another observation: Chinese women look great with 1930s hair and clothes.  They should do that all the time.

To be fair every looks better dressed up from that period.  People dressed better back then.

:unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I'm kinda bummed that the Venture Brothers season is going to be only 8 episodes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadBurgerMaker

I've been watching the new Showtime series called Ray Donovan the last couple of weeks (last week was the first episode of the series).   It's....pretty good.  Entertaining enough.

Admiral Yi

Just saw Looper, liked it.

Eye candy was weak though.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 11:26:34 PM
The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

You at least get Scarlett Johansson playing a naughty teenager. That's always a plus.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 08, 2013, 02:52:51 AM
I've been watching the new Showtime series called Ray Donovan the last couple of weeks (last week was the first episode of the series).   It's....pretty good.  Entertaining enough.

Yeah, I kinda like it as well.  Would like to see this one develop more and go someplace.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 12:04:59 AM
I'm kinda bummed that the Venture Brothers season is going to be only 8 episodes.
It is? WTF
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on July 07, 2013, 11:52:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 07, 2013, 11:49:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 02:26:35 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 07, 2013, 02:24:45 PM
Lust, Caution?

That's the ticket.

Another observation: Chinese women look great with 1930s hair and clothes.  They should do that all the time.

To be fair every looks better dressed up from that period.  People dressed better back then.

:unsure:

How many uniforms these days are designed by Hugo Boss.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

frunk

Quote from: Habbaku on July 07, 2013, 11:52:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 07, 2013, 11:26:34 PM
The Man Who Wasn't There.  A rare miss by the Cohen brothers.  Black and white noirish something or other.  Billy Bob Thornton smokes a whole lot of cigarettes.

Yep.  Easily their worst film.  The trouble with making a movie in which the protagonist doesn't really drive the action is...what you see.

I'd rate Ladykillers, Inolerable Cruelty and probably Burn after Reading as worse.  What saves The Man who Wasn't There for me were a few scenes of spectacular cinematography, in particular the shot of him moving through a busy crowd.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on July 08, 2013, 10:19:59 AM
I'd rate Ladykillers, Inolerable Cruelty and probably Burn after Reading as worse.  What saves The Man who Wasn't There for me were a few scenes of spectacular cinematography, in particular the shot of him moving through a busy crowd.

Totally disagree about Intolerable Cruelty.  It's a funny, clever movie.

Ladykillers got killed when it first came out but in my opinion undeservadely so.  It's a decent movie.  It's also back in cable rotation.  Worth a look to those who haven't seen it.

I agree Burn After Reading is worse. 

frunk

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 08, 2013, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 08, 2013, 10:19:59 AM

Totally disagree about Intolerable Cruelty.  It's a funny, clever movie.

Ladykillers got killed when it first came out but in my opinion undeservadely so.  It's a decent movie.  It's also back in cable rotation.  Worth a look to those who haven't seen it.

I agree Burn After Reading is worse.

IC and LK are both decent movies, just not that great and not up to expectations for a Coen Bros. film.  In particular they didn't have the visual panache that I usually expect, rather they were fairly standard movies with a couple of interesting plot twists and funny scenes.

Razgovory

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
It is? WTF

Yep.  I guess they are splitting their season over two years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 08, 2013, 02:05:44 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2013, 07:09:21 AM
It is? WTF

Yep.  I guess they are splitting their season over two years.

Is this the Breaking Bad practice of pissing me off?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Wanting some mindless entertainment, I snuck out and saw World War Z this weekend.

[spoiler]It was full of stupid. One minor detail that got me was that the massive Israeli anti-zombie wall is worse at keeping zombies out that the wall that actually exists in reality! The movie wall lacked such basics as an inner and outer fence, guard towers, zombie- (or Palistinian -)-detection gear, etc. The movie wall was just a plain wall, and once the zombies get over it via impossible-pyramid, the whole country is fucked. [/spoiler]

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on July 08, 2013, 03:58:48 PM
Wanting some mindless entertainment, I snuck out and saw World War Z this weekend.

My wife thought it was awesome.  But then she thought Waterworld was awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall