News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Rock of Ages.

Wanted to see Catherine Zeta-Jones in churchgoing MILF attire, but I couldn't make it past the opening credits.  The only thing worse than bad music from the 80's is bad music from the 80's covered badly.

Viking

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 12:22:23 AM
Interesting  :hmm:

I'm pretty sure we've already established that Rotten Tomatoes doesn't know shit and is full of hipster wannabe reviewers who follow the pack.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 12:22:23 AM
Interesting  :hmm:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2013/06/the_best_pixar_movies_as_chosen_by_children_critics_say_they_re_on_the_decline.html

What explains the difference? Critics often judge whether the movies are also good for adults, but not a single child we spoke to expressed any concern for whether their parents enjoyed the movie.

Kids are selfish bastards...film at 11.

dps

Quote from: Syt on July 01, 2013, 04:51:51 AM

Some interesting stuff there.  One thing I noticed is that the Narnia movies were considered disappointing financially, yet the 3 of them took in more money than the 4 Lethal Weapon movies, which are generally considered to have been financially successful.

Eddie Teach

I think they probably spent too much money making the Narnia movies. They don't need awe-inspiring effects to draw in their core viewers(people who loved the books) and would have a hard time drawing a mega-wide audience regardless.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2013, 07:26:07 AM
They don't need awe-inspiring effects to draw in their core viewers(people who loved the books) and would have a hard time drawing a mega-wide audience regardless.

Yeah, fancy special effects aside, people still know who C.S. Lewis is.  The Left Behind series would do just as poorly.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 07:37:46 AM
Yeah, fancy special effects aside, people still know who C.S. Lewis is.  The Left Behind series would do just as poorly.

Nah, the Left Behind series would be a colossal failure if they tried to megaplex it. Narnia wasn't, as the 1.8 billion in revenue shows.

Think I'm gonna see if they've got Prince Caspian up on NetFlix.  :hmm:

Not even on dvd. Bah.  <_<

Results for Chronicles of Narnia-
Top result: Sexual Chronicles of a French Family :perv:  :lol:

Neil

Netflix are bigots?  Who knew?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Iron Man 3- Interesting film. It seems to recognise the usual third film in superhero franchise problems but instead of trying to avoid them just puts its head down and charges right at them.
The way Stark happens to be in the middle of testing a crappy suit when shit goes down is a bit coincidental and that the suits can control themselves now is a bit too convenient.
I wonder what comic fans make of the original take on the main villain. All seems rather Bane in Batman and Robin.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I think Prince Caspian sucked.  The movie that is.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 03:43:50 PM
Watched some flick last night in which Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, that fat guy that was in Money Ball, and a totally random British black guy form a neighborhood watch and end up fighting aliens that invade their neighborhood.

The fat guy has some good lines about the dick size of the high school stud [spoiler]who's actually an alien and[/spoiler] who's trying to tap Vince Vaughn's daughter's ass, but otherwise the dialogue is barren.  Sounds at times like the cast just got really stoned and ad-libbed their lines.

The jailbait daughter and Stiller's wife, played by the chick who was the fuckup sister in Weeds, are oases of visual delight in a lost cause.

I enjoyed it. The humor didn't feel forced and it had plenty of sci-fi actiony-ness to take the pressure off. That puts it ahead of 80% of the big Hollywood comedies out there.

B+

11B4V

Lawless: Not to shabby, B-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ideologue

Dark Skies (2013).

When I first saw the trailer for Dark Skies, I experienced about thirty seconds of pure joy because I thought they were making a movie of the Garfield Reeves-Stevens novel of the same name.  Then the trailer went on, and I realized this was not the same story.  Then I looked it up later, and I realized that the novel is called Nighteyes.  Maybe they should look into making fewer Scott Stewart scripts (e.g., Legion), and more adaptations of books whose names I can't remember and that I had nightmares about when I was thirteen.

Instead of being awesome, then, Dark Skies is a speculative fiction piece about a dystopia in which Steven Spielberg drowned during the filming of Jaws and The X-Files did not have a nine year run on national television.

...An hour and many barely-metaphorical sharpied penises on their heads later, Lacy suggests the possibility that maybe, just maybe, their troubles are not of this world. For context, Daniel has just, moments earlier, blacked out, walked outside, gushed blood like a geyser out his nose, and returned to consciousness unaware of how he got where he is. When she tells him what she thinks, he calls her insane. It's at this point that the movie just broke me, I paused it, and I laughed and laughed and laughed. Nobody is this unemployed.

...If you are a screenwriter wanting to put a cosmic twist on the formula, you must adapt the formula to meet the requirements of your twist. The rule of escalation that works so well in a haunted house qua haunted house movie just does not function at all here. I believe you when you say that Toby, Bagul, or a Sith Lord must husband their forces before breaking through into our reality. I don't believe that an alien needs to steal your salad mix first when it has a functioning teleporter.

There's a moment very, very late in the game where Stewart seemed poised to turn everything around, with a a reveal worthy of early-era Shyamalan, that threatens to undermine the entire reality of the world around this family and calls into question where, and what, this house, may really be. Unfortunately, this mind-twisting scene turns out to be in only one character's head, and is wasted on nearly-actionable allusions to The Shining.  You know, and I'm just saying here: Nighteyes had a pretty cool twist.

C

Well, I wanted to believe

Oh, yeah, I also managed while bargain bin diving to find a Man With No Name Duology (Fistfull and Few) for $8.  This is in addition to GBU, which I own.  So the upshot is I was able to get the whole trilogy for, prorated, slightly less than $12. :smoke:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)