Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Great, summon Grallon. :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on May 26, 2013, 02:05:19 PM
Do you really? DO YOU?!?!?!

Unfortunately, those are the versions on Blu Ray.  I think my dad still has my old SE VHS' though.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

The NOOOOO brings a depth, a richness to Darth Vader that no reasonable person can object to.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 02:54:22 PM
Quote from: katmai on May 26, 2013, 02:05:19 PM
Do you really? DO YOU?!?!?!

Unfortunately, those are the versions on Blu Ray.  I think my dad still has my old SE VHS' though.

Yeah i won't be buying them because of all the alterations he's done to the original trilogy.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 02:56:09 PM
The NOOOOO brings a depth, a richness to Darth Vader that no reasonable person can object to.

I didn't think it was that bad in Sith (certainly fitting the level of quality previously established).  It sucks in Jedi, but it's far less annoying the deletion of Yub Nub dating from the DVD release.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2013, 02:00:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 01:56:43 PM
No one in my RL circles likes T2. I suppose a person who was a wee child when it came out and has some nostalgic attachment... no, not even then would a sane person like it.

8.6 at IMDB, 98% Rotten Tomatoes.  :lol:

Rotten Tomatoes sucks. Or at least the reviewers do. Too much group think.

I just rewatched Fantastic Four with Hornblower, Alba, Captain America and Vic Mackie and it wasn't bad at all. It wasn't fantastic, but it wasn't poor. It took it's time introducing the characters properly, at no point did the progress of the movie stop up, the acting was good (not great, but good), the special effects were good for it's time, the script was loyal to material and based itself on two or three actual FF storylines all of which worked together well in the story. Yes, Gruffudd didn't have enough gravitas, Alba was too bimbo-ee and Macmahon wasn't scary enough as doom, but not to any movie killing degree. It was a decent entertaining movie and an enjoyable watching experience.

Now how do I know that my opinion of the movie is better than the reviewers?

check this

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10005582-fantastic_four/

this made for nothing to keep the rights never released version was notable only for inability of the studio to keep copies from being leaked. This was designed to be crap on the cheap and never to be released. It got 33% by reviewers and 38% by audience. This is about as bad a rating as a movie can get.

What did the 2005 FF get?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fantastic_four/

26% by reviewers and 57% by audience.

I'm not going to say FF was a good movie, the 57% seems to fit it about right. Reviewers move as a pack not wanting to stick out. If you are going to be the only one to say Batman Begins was mediocre and Superman Returns was good then you are going to have to explain yourself. If you agree with the pack you can write content free reviews like Ide and nobobody (except languish) will question you.

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Liep

Speaking of the Fantastic Four, the new AD episode about the cheap version was excellent. Oh, Tobias.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Ed Anger

Saw the Flying Leathernecks for the first time in decades. Got a Wildcat and Corsair boner.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 01:56:43 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 05:02:26 AM
There is only The Terminator. T2 and onwards are garbage.

:blink:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who hates T2.  That's interesting. :)

Is it the thumbs up?

Quote from: Wags
Terminator 3 sucked in every way possible Ide.

Nah.  It's at worst, mediocre, with pretty excellent bookending scenes.

No one in my RL circles likes T2. I suppose a person who was a wee child when it came out and has some nostalgic attachment... no, not even then would a sane person like it.

Your RL circle is stupid.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on May 26, 2013, 01:08:11 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2013, 10:18:03 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 08:15:52 AM
And he continued to do so, in order to remain indispensable in a business with individuals that saw him as dispensable.

I think you're both off. Walt has awoken the Beast within. He's neither a weenie nor a decent man at this point.

Yup.

Walter's main motivation at first was pride - he's definitely one who would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven. As he has 'succeeded', he's gotten a taste for manipulation and domination over others for its own sake. At this point, he's a very bad man indeed.

Just finished up all the episodes on Netflix (through season 4), so now I have to wait for season 5 to show up.

In reflection, Walter is basically his own man.  Definitely the reserved, scientist type, but not a total wimp.  It's pretty clear though, that his moments of "courage", at least at first, take a lot of internal build-up, and sometimes, quite obviously, they're just flashes of rage (or even madness). 

Agree with Jaron, Mike is great character, as well as Hank (only second to Jr. as the most upstanding/respectable character in the show), and Gus.  [spoiler]The makeup job on his death scene was pretty good.  :D[/spoiler]

Saul is great too, almost CdM-like in his wit.  Despite that though, the rumor that they may try a spin-off series based on Saul could only possibly end up as a spectacular disaster.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2013, 12:13:14 PM
I watched the first 2. It is fun to revisit. :)

Only thing that I'm not sure how I feel about is the format. I seem to recall them saying, and then it is evident by ep 2 - that the various eps happen kind of concurrently. Makes for somewhat strange watching.

Strange watching, I agree. I couldn't help myself and am now at episode 6. It gets better and better.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Malthus

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2013, 03:49:18 AM

I've actually landed in a plane on the runway on Saba.  :D It's like landing on a postage stamp.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

This whole thing is kind-of spoilers for Star Trek Into Darkness.  You've been warned...

So after seeing ID on Friday night it became clear to me that my wife, despite quite happily agreeing to go to the movie, had never seen any previous Star Trek movies (she did remember watching TOS as a kid though).  She had no idea who this Khan character was.  I mentioned how the whole movie seems to be a riff on Wrath of Khan, and suddenly the next day we boot up Netflix and watch Wrath of Khan.  Now I've seen this movie dozens of times in my youth / teens, but I hadn't sat down and watched it for a long time.

A few comparisons...

The one point in ID's favour is it does have lots of action.  WOK does seem plodding at times.  There are two action scenes - the initial clash between Reliant and Enterprise, then the final battle in the Mutara Nebula.  But both of those still are mostly people standing around talking and looking pensive.

But man... in every other way WOK is just a more interesting movie.  Montalban's Khan was a far more interesting character.  His being a 'genetically engineered superman' is almost incidental.   For Montalbahn's Khan is after revenge.  It's personal.  I love the lines from Moby Dick that Khan keeps throwing out.

WOK is also a movie that is trying to say something.  Themes like 'how do we deal with death'.  I sensed no theme in ID.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Should've cued up "Space Seed" before WoK.  Would've added depth to the whole Khan's dead-wife thing, as well as his more-than-justified revenge for being marooned.