News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 26, 2013, 10:12:52 AMUnfortunately, where this movie fell apart was in bringing back Trekkie elements without properly explaining them

Oh man, I knew it.

Though like I said, the Prime Directive scene is the best in the movie and arguably the best Prime Directive scene in the whole franchise, since it relates without belaboring the point why it's a shitty rule but also why it's necessary.  But also because it comes down on the side of breaking it, and it got really disgusting to watch episode after episode where Picard or Janeway just let planets die but do accede to talk about how sad it is for an hour.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Decker would kick all their asses.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 07:34:03 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 04:54:19 AM
a villain in Christianna Loken's T-X that, while adequate, unavoidably fails to equal the cool menace or the uncanny spectacle of Robert Patrick's T-1000;

How so?  Explain.

You know, I'd love to say that Patrick's turn as the T-1000 was career-defining, without it coming off as a mean joke. :(

Quotewith the exception of its first major set-piece, which is no doubt one of the best chase sequences ever put to film

How so?  Explain.

Actually, I should've gone into this: it's always really fun to watch a car chase with big vehicles chasing little vehicles, ala Steven Spielberg's best film, Duel (well, it's a certainly lot more worthwhile to watch than anything he's done lately), and the use of the crane as an instrument of destruction was visually stunning.  Add a third party pursuer in a fire truck?  That's radical, man.

It also remains on the right side of physically plausibility.  I watched Fast Five the other day, and while it's an okay movie, the ending chase through Rio with the bank vault left me cold when it was supposed to thrill me because the physics they decided to use were probably less realistic and consistent than your average Looney Tune.  I'm not saying that the chase here was rigorous, but it had enough verisimilitude to work and successfully raised the level of spectacle of the franchise.  It's only unfortunate that Mostow decided to blow his load early, since the later action scenes, while not derivative, don't come close to meeting the standard previously established by this opening sequence or by the previous film, and this declining nature is probably what leads the Wags of the world to think the movie sucks.

Quotebut the future is, after all, what we make.

How so? Explain.
[/quote]

:lol:

P.S. Doomsday Machine's a really great episode.  You should watch The Ultimate Computer next. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2013, 10:21:36 AM
So, question: What's worse?

Vader's "NOOOOOOO!" in Ep. 3 or [spoiler]Spock shouting "KHAAAAAAN!"[/spoiler] in Into Darkness?

The latter.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on May 26, 2013, 11:37:19 AM

Vader's "NOOOOOOO!" in Ep. 3 or [spoiler]Spock shouting "KHAAAAAAN!"[/spoiler] in Into Darkness?

[spoiler]NOOOOO! was worse.  KHAAAAAN! had some minor value as a throwback to the prior movie.[/spoiler]

NOOOO calls back to Return of the Jedi. :)
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 05:02:26 AM
There is only The Terminator. T2 and onwards are garbage.

:blink:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who hates T2.  That's interesting. :)

Is it the thumbs up?

Quote from: Wags
Terminator 3 sucked in every way possible Ide.

Nah.  It's at worst, mediocre, with pretty excellent bookending scenes.
Kinemalogue

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 01:50:36 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 05:02:26 AM
There is only The Terminator. T2 and onwards are garbage.

:blink:

I think you're the first person I've ever seen who hates T2.  That's interesting. :)

Is it the thumbs up?

Quote from: Wags
Terminator 3 sucked in every way possible Ide.

Nah.  It's at worst, mediocre, with pretty excellent bookending scenes.

No one in my RL circles likes T2. I suppose a person who was a wee child when it came out and has some nostalgic attachment... no, not even then would a sane person like it.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 01:47:22 PM

[spoiler]NOOOOO! was worse.  KHAAAAAN! had some minor value as a throwback to the prior movie.[/spoiler]

Which was added after the initial run by the tinker Lucas.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on May 26, 2013, 01:56:43 PM
No one in my RL circles likes T2. I suppose a person who was a wee child when it came out and has some nostalgic attachment... no, not even then would a sane person like it.

8.6 at IMDB, 98% Rotten Tomatoes.  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2013, 02:00:37 PM

8.6 at IMDB, 98% Rotten Tomatoes.  :lol:

Do farm animals vote  on IMDB?

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on May 26, 2013, 01:58:46 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 26, 2013, 01:47:22 PM

Which was added after the initial run by the tinker Lucas.

I know. :secret: :P
Kinemalogue

katmai

Do you really? DO YOU?!?!?!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on May 26, 2013, 02:03:20 PM
Do farm animals vote  on IMDB?

If they know how to use the internet, I don't see why not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

There were only two decent things about T3:

1) the early 60's Casual Modern JFK-banging-them-two-at-a-time decor of Crystal Peak, and
2) Kristanna Loken's delectable, truly perfect ass, in which I would dig for treasure.

Admiral Yi

T2 is a solid movie.  First and foremost for Linda Hamilton's fierce and proud nipple boners.  After that, the biker bar sequence worked very well, much better in fact than the lame crazy punk gang opening sequence in T1.  The skull ranch sequence worked very well.  The goofy father/son interplay worked well.