News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2013, 08:12:22 AM
I was finally able to get a babsitter and watched Star Trek Into Darkness.   :cool:

Movie was awesome, but of course 10 minutes out from the theatre my mind kept coming back to some of the enormous plot holes.

[spoiler]Mind you I'm still pissed you fucks spoiled the Harrison is KHAAAAN! bit for me by talking about ST:II.  I mean I obviously knew he was the likely candidate, but there was the interesting counter-rumour that he was Gary Mitchell.[spoiler]

Yes, that would have been interesting, wouldn't it have been?

Quote[spoiler]The whole Kirk-dying-to-save-the-ship-mirror scene was cool, but odd.  It's meant to be an emotional scene, but when Spock then yells out Khaaaan! I don't know about anyone else in the theatre, but I laughed.[/spoiler]

I rolled my eyes.  Laughter is a reasonable emotional response to that, but it made me angry.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Saw Thor. I liked it, it was good.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

Saw The Intouchables. I liked it, it was a bit bland, though.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on May 25, 2013, 10:25:05 AM
I snuck out and saw it too. I was meh. An okay chase type movie. None of it made much in the way of sense.

The one thing I really liked, was that at the end they reverted to the whole 5 year mission thing. Maybe we will get some interesting plots involving actual space exploration in future movies. That would be cool.

I thought the same thing - now that we're finally done with the 'backstory', maybe we can finally do some exploring the galaxy stuff.  I have no doubt it'll still be inspired by old TOS episodes, but it would still be amusing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Avengers Assemble - meh - the ultimate spiderman look made me worried, but they stayed away from the cheezy kiddie stuff. It didn't hook me in any way, it didn't sound or look cool. I just felt meh about it. It was neither good nor great, it was also neither bad nor terrible.

Falcon has an actual origin story, one which definitively rules him out for government employment. They sort of skipped that.. the rest they just kept going from the Live Action Movie - which sucked quite a bit since none of the characters sounded, looked or felt like the ones from the movie and where they differed they felt like pale shadows of the characters from EMH.

Not as big of a step down as Spiderman going from Spectacular to Ultimate but, still EMH to AA is a step down.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

Venture Bros. relationship map (though some folks are missing): http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/extras/official-relationship-action-map.html
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Never On Sunday

Despite the obnoxious American character, always a fun film.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2013, 02:17:20 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 25, 2013, 10:25:05 AM
I snuck out and saw it too. I was meh. An okay chase type movie. None of it made much in the way of sense.

The one thing I really liked, was that at the end they reverted to the whole 5 year mission thing. Maybe we will get some interesting plots involving actual space exploration in future movies. That would be cool.

I thought the same thing - now that we're finally done with the 'backstory', maybe we can finally do some exploring the galaxy stuff.  I have no doubt it'll still be inspired by old TOS episodes, but it would still be amusing.

Except that plot never really works for movies.

The only two that probably came close were The Motion Picture and A Voyage Home...and those were both right by Earth.  And when they start sending the reboot crew back to save whales/elephants/rhinos/tigers, than you know it's really jumped the shark. 

Even if they go back to save sharks. 

11B4V

I bet he'll try the Borg angle.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

All The President's Men is on.

Desktop typewriters, old Blackwing pencils, rotary phones, dime pay phones, ashtrays, card catalogs, massive American cars and shitty little imports made of cheap Japanese steel...now those were the days.  :wub:

Tonitrus

Hadn't watched "Breaking Bad", so I fired up Netflix and have made a Memorial Day marathon of it.

Very solid through season 3.  Definitely dragging as season 4 starts.

To me, the best characters are in the supporting cast...my favorites probably being Hank and Saul.

Worst character?  Easily Walter's wife.  It's as if they tried to start out with the sympathetic victim of a wife, but instead got an over-the-top passive/aggressive witch.  And she never gets any better.

Eddie Teach

At beginning of show, she wasn't a victim. She's been transitioning due to plot developments.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?