News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

There ya go, that's the Ed I know.  Vulcans never bluff.

Ed Anger

:D

I'm going to lounge around and watch war movies all day. I feel like the Devil's Brigade to start with.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 25, 2013, 10:52:46 PM
All The President's Men is on.

Desktop typewriters, old Blackwing pencils, rotary phones, dime pay phones, ashtrays, card catalogs, massive American cars and shitty little imports made of cheap Japanese steel...now those were the days.  :wub:

:ccr
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2013, 08:24:57 PM
Besides, I don't pick on social inferiors.  Rather, I attack people who I perceive as being damaging to society.
Timmism is damaging to society.

But it's all adaptations, I hate how respectful costume dramas tend to be. I think the more time spent thinking about how to make a good film and the less spent thinking how to excite your free online marketing department the better.

I think Marvel have the balance pretty good and I loved the first new Star Trek film - I haven't seen the second.

Canon and history should always be very low down on the list of priorities.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 08:15:52 AM
Quote from: Josephus on May 26, 2013, 08:11:29 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2013, 04:08:35 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on May 26, 2013, 01:03:08 AM
He's right.  Walter is a weenie who desperately doesn't want to be.  And the flashes of insanity help that along at times.

Bullshit.  He's just a decent man forced to do indecent things to survive.

He was. For about three seasons.

And he continued to do so, in order to remain indispensable in a business with individuals that saw him as dispensable.

Yes. But arguably he didn't need to remain in the business anymore. He's had opportunities to walk away.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DontSayBanana

Finally got to see Into Darkness.

The movie's definitely more about characterization, but they overload it with action to get you from the almost-crisis at the beginning [spoiler](Kirk narrowly avoiding losing command of the Enterprise when Pike gets offed in a particularly ignominious way)[/spoiler] to his epiphany near the end [spoiler](What good is saving everyone when your only goal is keeping score?)[/spoiler]

Unfortunately, where this movie fell apart was in bringing back Trekkie elements without properly explaining them [spoiler](I had to explain the Prime Directive to my non-Trekkie girlfriend, who was totally lost in a scene that should have been really poignant, with Pike dressing down Kirk for not even respecting the rules he's breaking; they were so vague about Khan's past that without canon knowledge, the "super blood" was a horrible deus ex machina- it still wasn't that great a plot device)[/spoiler]  [spoiler]It was a good thing I saw it at the drive in, because the girlfriend and I both laughed ourselves silly at the "KHAAAAAN!" delivery.[/spoiler]

Long story short, it's really promising, but it trips and falls down over its own canon references.  It gets where it needs to in the end, but it gets really ugly in its execution on the way there.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

And he continued to do so, in order to remain indispensable in a business with individuals that saw him as dispensable.

I think you're both off. Walt has awoken the Beast within. He's neither a weenie nor a decent man at this point.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

So, question: What's worse?

Vader's "NOOOOOOO!" in Ep. 3 or [spoiler]Spock shouting "KHAAAAAAN!"[/spoiler] in Into Darkness?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on May 26, 2013, 10:21:36 AM
So, question: What's worse?

Vader's "NOOOOOOO!" in Ep. 3 or [spoiler]Spock shouting "KHAAAAAAN!"[/spoiler] in Into Darkness?

[spoiler]NOOOOO! was worse.  KHAAAAAN! had some minor value as a throwback to the prior movie.[/spoiler]
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

So I watched the first episode of season 4 of Arrested Development. As expected it was filled with references to the cancellation. Rest of the episode seemed to also be mostly references, [spoiler]funniest one being the ending, a surprising pop-in[/spoiler] with at least a couple of references build into it. Still laughing. Physical comedy is one of the many things this show does right.

All in all I'm pleased. And I'll most likely watch a couple of more later.

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

garbon

I watched the first 2. It is fun to revisit. :)

Only thing that I'm not sure how I feel about is the format. I seem to recall them saying, and then it is evident by ep 2 - that the various eps happen kind of concurrently. Makes for somewhat strange watching.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, interesting on the "new" actors. Seth Rogen, Kirsten Wiig and then much less well known Natasha Leggero.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Terminator 3 sucked in every way possible Ide.
PDH!

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2013, 10:18:03 AM

I think you're both off. Walt has awoken the Beast within. He's neither a weenie nor a decent man at this point.

Yup.

Walter's main motivation at first was pride - he's definitely one who would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven. As he has 'succeeded', he's gotten a taste for manipulation and domination over others for its own sake. At this point, he's a very bad man indeed.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jaron

I got into BB late last year. I hate Walter and I love Mike.
Winner of THE grumbler point.