News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Syt on May 23, 2013, 02:06:14 AM
Oh, no complaints about the cast here - I just think he's the standout.

I know.  I was just clarifying that I don't blame any of actors.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on May 23, 2013, 03:10:29 AM
Quote from: Syt on May 23, 2013, 02:06:14 AM
Oh, no complaints about the cast here - I just think he's the standout.

I know.  I was just clarifying that I don't blame any of actors.

What's with this new trope of not blaming actors. I want to blame them as well. Hayden Christensen was crap and has continued to be crap.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 23, 2013, 01:14:20 AM
lolz Ace Ventura Pet Detective was on TV tonight.   :D

Now that is a great movie. LACES OUT.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

[spoiler]

It's rather odd. I totally understand with B4's complaints about Darkness. 100% agree with every specific complaint, except that I simply don't think it makes it a bad movie. It doesn't hold a candle to ST2, but then, that is one of my favorite movies ever. St2 is based on a well understood back story, with well developed characters. I simply don't look at the new ST movies in the same way at all. That is not Spock from ST2, nor is that Kirk, or McCoy. They are based on the same basic charactger models, but in my head they are different characters altogether.

And that is a good thing - you can't replace Leanard Nimoy, or DeForest Kelley. Not even William Shatner (even though you would want to).

So if they want to swap around Kirk and Spock in the reactor - that's fine. It's not like that scene can possibly have the emotional impact of the first anyway. Not even close. We all know Kirk isn't really dead. We certainly did NOT know that with Spock.

And yeah, this Khan is a chump compared to the actual Khan. So what?

And who cares what color he is? He is a genetically created human, he can be whatever color his creators want him to be.

None of it matters to me though, because I am looking at the movie as something loosely inspired by ST2, not a re-write of ST2. And as such, on its own merits, it works as a decent flick. It isn't a great movie, but it was a good movie when you just take it for what it is trying to be, instead of anything more.

[/spoiler]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2013, 11:44:29 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 22, 2013, 10:16:52 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 09:23:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 22, 2013, 08:57:27 PM
Just got back from seeing Into Darkness: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhboy oh boy 4/10. I'll write something after I cool down.

[spoiler]JJ Abrams should be bitch slapped in his fucking face for that movie. WTF, a guy named Khan Noonien Singh is a pasty white guy. You stupid shit. Not that the actor who played it is necessarily bad. But the whole Khan character was way overdone. He might as well been some rogue Vulcan you ass. No deliciously evil, sophisticated passion. Just an almost mindless automaton Very one dimensional.  Not even a 30 sec blurb on any background for him, so the stupid, idiotic texting, xbox playing new generation twats could even know anything about him. My fucking god fuckety fuck fuck, shit.  The absolute rip off switch of the Kirk/Spock reactor scene. Seething fucking mad I am. I felt like throwing my 24 oz rasberry ice tea at the screen. To include the individual junior mints just out of pure spite. AHHH fuck.    [/spoiler] not done here

Invoking the Kleves Rule.

It's an infuriating movie, isn't it?  I'm amazed it works for anybody--let alone as many people as it did.  If you'd never seen Star Trek II, and made yourself familiar with the references, I wonder if that scene even makes sense.  It's like a clip out of a Seltzer and Freiburg movie.  MAD Magazine's Star Blecch II: The Wreck of Korn had more original material than this dumb movie.

Fuck you, Ideo, you spoiling fuck. :ultra:

You know, you should really have ignored this thread until you saw the movie, BB, unless you like playing with fire. :secret:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

What's the Kleves rule?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Josephus on May 23, 2013, 07:18:58 AM
What's the Kleves rule?
Kleves is never wrong about movies.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Kleves

Quote from: Scipio on May 23, 2013, 07:39:31 AM
Kleves is never wrong about movies.
:thumbsup: Also: "No fat chicks."

Really, though, I didn't know I had a rule.  :hmm:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Kleves on May 23, 2013, 08:45:00 AM
Really, though, I didn't know I had a rule.  :hmm:

The only good Indian is a dead Indian?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

lustindarkness

I will watch Fast & Furious 6 tonight. I can go ahead and review it now:
Lots of unreal action, fast cars and chick fights. Beyond stupid dialog and a surprise hook at the credits for the next movie. It will entertain me and just what I need right now, mindless action.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I had a discussion with a friend about the F&F franchise (of which I'm not a fan). He said the trick is to enjoy them as bad, unrealistic fantasy movies (kinda like the old Chuck Norris movies, or American Ninja).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Syt on May 23, 2013, 10:15:44 AM
I had a discussion with a friend about the F&F franchise (of which I'm not a fan). He said the trick is to enjoy them as bad, unrealistic fantasy movies (kinda like the old Chuck Norris movies, or American Ninja).

Correct, if you try to see it as a serious film, it will be craptacular trash. I just need a couple of hours by myself watching some fast and furious action.

I need to get my zen for a family weekend at a "fancy" resort when I prefer to rough it in a tent in a mountain somewhere instead.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

11B4V

[spoiler]Actor Benicio del Toro had reportedly been sought for the role of the villain and had met with Abrams to discuss the role. He later bowed out. In 2011, actress Alice Eve signed on for a role, and so had Peter Weller. Demián Bichir also auditioned for the villain role but as reported by Variety on January 4, 2012, Benedict Cumberbatch had been cast in the role of the villain in the film.[/spoiler]

I dont know how accurate this is from wiki. The bolded was the first one that came to my mind, when I first found out what Into Darkness was attempting to do before I actually saw it.  :lol: I think he would have done well. The second guy I never heard of.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Just finished season one of the wire. Good stuff.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2013, 12:46:38 PM
Just finished season one of the wire. Good stuff.

CdM will now smite you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.