News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

"John Carter"

A quite enjoyable film.  I rather liked it.

11B4V

Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2013, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2013, 08:36:04 PM
Except First Contact is not a great movie, but a bad movie.  The only ones worse are Insurrection and Nemesis (and Nemesis only arguably).  Pretty much all the TNG films are trash; Generations I give a pass only because it's nostalgic trash.  I would not trade the existence of all four of the TNG films for the first ten minutes of Star Trek V.  And it's not even that I don't like TNG; I just really, really dislike the TNG movies.

But that is, like, the only good part of First Contact.
Ide, I once had respect for you.  Now it's over.   :mad:

Seriously man, we don't agree at all on this  :cry:

No there not.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

lustindarkness

Quote from: Tonitrus on May 16, 2013, 05:50:55 PM
"John Carter"

A quite enjoyable film.  I rather liked it.

I liked that movie.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 15, 2013, 09:19:24 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 15, 2013, 08:53:02 PM
Of course it will. Johnny Depp is playing Tonto. If there ever was an typecast actor less like the serious, earnest and devoted tonto it is Johnny Depp. Seriously, he has a crow in his head, WTF?

The story is being told from Tonto's POV, and no, he's not expected to be Bill Cosby's Tonto.

And his character role was developed from a variety of Crow and Blackfoot historical notes and descriptions.
Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but Depp's look isn't based on any of that.  It's an artist's random inspiration/interpretation based off of nothing but his own thoughts and aesthetics.  The crow isn't even actually on his head in the picture used for the costume idea, it just looked vaguely like it and the costume department/design department didn't realize till too late, so they stuck with it.  'Kirby Sattler is a non-Native artist who, in a statement on his website, says that his paintings are meant to "satisfy my audience's sensibilities of the subject without the constraints of having to adhere to historical accuracy".'

http://gawker.com/5906868/johnny-depps-tonto-is-based-on-a-white-mans-painting-of-an-imaginary-native-american
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/article/johnny-depps-explanation-of-tonto-costume-both-clarifies-and-muddles-110002
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 16, 2013, 09:14:03 PM
Of course it will. Johnny Depp is playing Tonto. If there ever was an typecast actor less like the serious, earnest and devoted tonto it is Johnny Depp. Seriously, he has a crow in his head, WTF?

The story is being told from Tonto's POV, and no, he's not expected to be Bill Cosby's Tonto.

And his character role was developed from a variety of Crow and Blackfoot historical notes and descriptions.
Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but Depp's look isn't based on any of that.

Meh, no bubble burst.  Just repeating what I saw on an interview with him on it.

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on May 16, 2013, 09:14:03 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble on this, but Depp's look isn't based on any of that.

Meh, no bubble burst.  Just repeating what I saw on an interview with him on it.

Any guesses as to how long it will take the indians to start squawking about it?

I have high hopes for the movie too.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 16, 2013, 09:27:57 PM
Any guesses as to how long it will take the indians to start squawking about it?

To be honest, I think they've stopped squawking about movies a long time ago.

Heh, get it: "squawking".  "Squaw".  Lulz.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 16, 2013, 09:36:32 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on May 16, 2013, 09:27:57 PM

To be honest, I think they've stopped squawking about movies a long time ago.

Heh, get it: "squawking".  "Squaw".  Lulz.

Yeah they complain about No Doubt and Lana Del Ray videos instead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on May 16, 2013, 10:09:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 15, 2013, 08:36:04 PM
Except First Contact is not a great movie, but a bad movie.  The only ones worse are Insurrection and Nemesis (and Nemesis only arguably).  Pretty much all the TNG films are trash; Generations I give a pass only because it's nostalgic trash.  I would not trade the existence of all four of the TNG films for the first ten minutes of Star Trek V.  And it's not even that I don't like TNG; I just really, really dislike the TNG movies.

But that is, like, the only good part of First Contact.
Ide, I once had respect for you.  Now it's over.   :mad:

Seriously man, we don't agree at all on this  :cry:

:(

If All Good Things had been a theatrical release, I'd give it an A+. :console:

Star Trek Into Darkness, by contrast, I do not.  Can discuss more later, but for now I'm trying to figure out whether it was kind of bad or quite bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

The only good reboot/comic book/tv adaptation is one that makes fans of the original weep hot tears of frustration.

On that count Star Trek failed, but it was still fun. Hopefully this one delivers.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

Quote from: Syt on May 17, 2013, 09:58:43 AM
Dear Lord, the Pacific Rim trailer looks beautifully trashy. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5guMumPFBag

Yeah, I'll definitely watch that one. Biggest theatre possible.
and the horse you rode in on

Darth Wagtaros

Looks like Charlie from Its Always Sunny is in it.
PDH!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Watching Sixteen Candles. What great lines!

I loathe the bus

Grandparents forgetting a birthday? They live for that shit.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.